Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:42 AM   #1

I know this a bit OT, sorry, but I just noticed last night that Vimeo will now only allow you to upload ONE HD video a week. If you upload more than that, they will convert it to standard def. For me the whole luster of Vimeo was that you could post your HD videos and actaully WATCH them in HD. This makes it on par with Youtube.. actually BELOW Youtube since YT now has the "high quality" mode. You can still upload 500 megs a week, but only 1 HD video, unless you pay $60 a year, which is TWICE what motionbox.com is charging! I"m sure it's expensive for them to give 500megs a week free to everyone who has an internet connection, I understand that... but still bums me out.

I think I'm going to look for an alternative. Anyone have any suggestions for free alternatives to what Vimeo USED to be?
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:08 AM   #2

We hear you.........

One Hd per week and I do my best to make that an important one.

contacting and requesting did absolutely that you have to Purchase period.

Your video is Flash HD, others are now Flash SD

and if wanted to watch Flash SD in the actual view just go to the mid right and click the file fordownload. that is the simple bypass

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3

Yes we had a thread about this a while back. I think a physical limit of 500MB regardless of whether your video is HD or SD would've been better. I am guessing the reason they chose the route they went, is that an upload limit would tend to favor those of us who merely want to rotate demo videos, but don't upload 'artistic content'. Since they are really orientated as a content site, they want to discourage too many demo videos while figuring that those who are true content producers won't mind paying the $60/year to display their work. For those people, $60/year isn't really a terrible amount of money.

Perhaps they could bring in a lower tier, sort of like pbase.com does, of say $20/year that would allow you to upload as many HD videos as you want up to a fixed limit per month.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:39 AM   #4

Ok, I'm testing out this site for HD uploading content:

http://www.shareview.us/

so far it seems very decent. Here is a video I posted as a test.

http://www.shareview.us/users/petermg/videos/public

Now I do not believe that they retain the original for download. I think they process it then delete the original. I can't find anything that confirms the dimensions of the videos played, but if you RIGHT CLICK there is a LOW QUALITY option. Plus I think the quality looks good, very good and the scaling I think looks better than Vimeo, personally.

I also checked out some other videos posted on this site and am rather surprised at the quality. Perhaps this will be what I am looking for? Interested to hear how others feel about this site. It was pretty easy to register, I didn't even have to confirm my registration. Just register, upload and go.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5

100 mb hmm I range most my vids in that areal still looksawesome ijumped out of my seat when the whistle blew LOL
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:32 PM   #6

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
100 mb hmm I range most my vids in that areal still looksawesome ijumped out of my seat when the whistle blew LOL
LOL, yeah, sorry. It is rather loud. That 100 meg upload limit so far is the only restriction I've found.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:00 PM   #7

I loved it, when I was in redwing I was filming, and the train did the same thing, he A-HD was perfect.I was at 1000 feet up and the cam grabbed the sound loud. clip I do not know where it is at, but I remember it like yesterday. have to search like 1000 clips

I registered, and thank you for the link
Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:37 PM   #8

http://www.smugmug.com

looks alright liked the idea tht a picture can be bought.

I was given a link where you viewed thumbnails, and you had to purchase the clip that is what i am after just cannot thinl of thesearch anymore LOl

Old Nov 26, 2008, 10:41 PM   #9

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I loved it, when I was in redwing I was filming, and the train did the same thing, he A-HD was perfect.I was at 1000 feet up and the cam grabbed the sound loud. clip I do not know where it is at, but I remember it like yesterday. have to search like 1000 clips

I registered, and thank you for the link
Sweet! You're welcome!Glad I found it, was real bummed about Vimeo's recent change in policy.Looking forward to seeing how well this site holds up for us. It's currently in beta so there may be a few bugs.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"On thing I've found, when uploading my 1080p clips they render them as 4:3. Probably because it's captured in a 4:3 AR. For example I just uploaded a candle video I took and it shows up as 4:3 rather than 16:9. Also when I use the video conversion program called "Super" and double click on the file it thinks it's a 4:3 AR mov file. I will have to see ifcan find something to edit the flags in the MOV files to make sure it's set to 16:9.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 2:01 AM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
We hear you.........

One Hd per week and I do my best to make that¬* an important one.

contacting and¬* requesting did absolutely that¬*¬* you have to Purchase period.

Your video is Flash HD, others are now Flash SD

and if wanted to watch Flash SD in the actual view just¬*¬* go to the¬* mid right and click the¬* file fordownload. that is the simple bypass

¬*
Spent a while trying to get to this. The login thing is going strange again and logging out and refusing to login.

Fishy, the guy from techvideoblog was using heaps of video sites to co-host, and I looked through them all, and a few were hosting original files.

Still, one video a week is good, you can cut and split 3-5 seconds from each scene together into one compact fast to load video. Some people are making files that are too huge for most of the world, I spend 10 hours downloading 100MB videos, if they don't fail multiple times. Still, I expect that in the wider camera market, some cameras will be doing 36mb/s h264 inter by the end of the decade, (what is needed form 1080p60 to get prime consumer quality). There is already talk of 64mb/s SHD (I imagine 100MB/s in camera). I mention this because we are looking at 100Mb/s broadband coming on line, masses on storage cards/devices, and GPU's can transcode 4 1080p code at a time already (so the h264 performance problems we experience on cheap PC's can be overcome eventually). So we have it good for the moment.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote