Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:01 PM   #1

And in which one does image stabilization work best (if at all)? :lol:

I know IS won't compensate for bad video habits (panning the camera around like crazy) and it will never be a substitute for a simple tripod. I just need it to offset the effects of the usual hand/wrist shake.

-Charlie
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:47 PM   #2

You might look at the Kodak V1073 IS (for about $129 at the moment) or the Kodak Z1012 IS. Both have excellent optical image stabilization.

None of the hybrids, not even the Sanyo, have stabilization coming anywhere near to these cameras. Hey, the Kodaks don't do a lot of other things, but if you want stabilized HD video, they have to be primary low-cost contenders...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 4:50 PM   #3

This video was taken entirely with V1073 and Z1012 cameras. Listen to the audio to see what clip belongs to each camera. The Z1012 audio is in stereo, the V1073 in mono:

http://vimeo.com/1811379

Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:59 PM   #4

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
This video was taken entirely with V1073 and Z1012 cameras. Listen to the audio to see what clip belongs to each camera. The Z1012 audio is in stereo, the V1073 in mono:

http://vimeo.com/1811379
Excellent footage thanks for posting! Clearly shows both cameras capabilities. OIS definitely knocks the socks off any digital or sensor based IS system. Oh, and stereo (Z1012) would indeed be a nice plus.

Some questions: how large are the video files? Let's say 5 min. worth of footage would be roughly how many megabytes? What card capacity would you need for 2 hours of video?

And how long does the battery last? Could you take 2 hours worth of video on a single charge of its Li-Ion battery? Battery life is an important factor in my considering a hybrid. BTW, aren't these Kodaks technically hybrids as well?

My current EDC point & shoot (Fuji F50fd) takes decent enough 640 x 480 video and it does have (sensor-based) stabilization but the .avi files are HUGE and it wouldn't last probably more than an hour taking videos.

-Charlie
Tsarli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2008, 7:29 PM   #5

Video is 14mbps DivX5 with Ulaw ADPCM audio in a MOV envelope. Easy to decode, and pretty resistant to noise, etc, in the image.

I use 16 Gig cards ($34 from NewEgg) so the file size really doesn't worry me. Except that the Kodaks take an awful long time to complete the file if you record for longer than 15 mins at a time. For example, after 30 mins of HD the file will take 30 seconds of "processing" before the camera becomes free again. Not nice, but not a problem if your clips are short. I have two HF100s for the longer clips. they will take 2hrs 50minutes continuous AVCHD 1440x1080 24p without needing a battery or memory card change

(DivX5 is Mpeg4 Simple Streaming Video @ L3)