Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:05 AM   #1

Ok, now I've mentioned this in a few posts, but please bear with me while I create a dedicated post to this subject. I am VERY amped about the 1080p res of my aiptek. I've not noticed anyone cheering in with me about this though and I suspect I know why, for the same reason I didn't for about 9 months. I was just unable to play back my 1080p clips because my processor was not strong/fast enough. I could barely play back my 720p clips, but usually I could with the software that came with my Aiptek Action HD.

What changed? As some of you may have noticed in one of my posts on the Action HD review thread, I recently purchased an ATI Radeon HD3850. Now this has ONBOARD HD decoding! H264!!! With Media Player Classic Home Theater Version (http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/), I was able to play back my 1080p clips with only 3% of my CPU being used because basically ALL of the decoding was being done by my video card. And once I started looking at them, WOAH!! They are AMAZINGLY more detailed than the 720p clips on this camcorder (Action HD). So... currently I've switched to 1080p. It is just so incredible. Sadly the slanted images during panning (due to the rolling shutter of the CMOS sensor)are more apparent in this res since it can only do 30fps at the moment. As soon as a 1080p hybrid comes out that can do 60fps at this res, I'm gonna look to upgrade. It really is like night and day amazingly different and clearer than the other resolutions!!

As far as my suspicouns about the D1 and 720p resolutions, on one outingI accidentally shot a ton of footage in D1 res and I could not tell because it looked to me visually the same as the 720p. It was only when I noticed the physical dimensions of the resolution stating that it was 720X480 that I realized it wasn't 720p. So at this point I'm thinkin' I should just stick with D1 and 1080p. And btw, for D1 resolution, this camera is very good IMHO. I know we like to look at the HD quality since it's an HD camcorder, but if someone just wanted to use this to record video to make regular DVDs with, the image quality is not bad at all.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2008, 7:20 AM   #2

excellent write up:|

1 Bigger the tube, the more distortion.

2 More minutes of vid lesser quality burned.

It may be best to Film in the highest quality, and render down to a suitable quality for your needs. You can always go back to Hi qulity, but upconverting may lead to results, that may not look best to some.

placing a sample disk on , to your Tube, or tubes of different sizes, will get the results you need

meaning D1 on a 30 inch will do just fine, but loaded to a 60 inch may show degradetion. And if zoom isused even worse.

These Hybrids are rated up to 60 inch tvs, most sure it was posted on a box or site.

There also has to be sometype of Interpolation happening here as well, that said happy filming
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 7:48 AM   #3

I have the low end ATI card, and the videos play smoothly in media player.

1080p60 is better. 1080p works better at the moment, because people are giving more bit rate per pixel to it then 720p. This greater bit rate is going to affect the quality of 720p.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:24 AM   #4

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
I have the low end ATI card, and the videos play smoothly in media player.

1080p60 is better. 1080p works better at the moment, because people are giving more bit rate per pixel to it then 720p. This greater bit rate is going to affect the quality of 720p.
Additionally, check out my post here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

I think the 720p isn't true optical 720p.
pgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote