Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:33 AM   #91

so close, yet so far...

that said, i guess the action hd would still be a better choice.
(now $139.46 before tax @ wally world)
3noiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:45 AM   #92

3noiZ wrote:
Quote:
so close, yet so far...

that said, i guess the action hd would still be a better choice.
(now $139.46 before tax @ wally world)
If your looking at it by price. Then,yes. The action hd 1080p is better. I have both the action hd and the GVS and like the GVS alot better. There is quite alot of difference between the two.

Since I have been testing them against each other. There are two things that I can think of that the action hd 1080p has beat the GVS.

1. price

2. battery "the 1080p has the battery cover to use the 1800 mAh battery"

But, the GVS beats it hands down on features and picture quality.

Only you can decide which camera fits your needs.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:27 PM   #93

What I had found out that there hasn't been so much improvement in image sensors (CCD or CMOS) light sensitivity, only resolution has increased over years. Compare these Canon HF100 low light tests, there is very noticable sensor noise in video picture. Cine mode is almost black, like those Aiptek low light videos without night mode and Canon's Night mode looks too much like Aipteks Night mode. This GVS model looks like great budget camera, looks like to be much better than Aiptek Z600. How about still are they better, could somebody take low light still pictures to see is there any sensor noise there?

Canon HF100 low light test: http://www.vimeo.com/1175136

Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 9:58 PM   #94

Looking at those bit rate numbers, I'm not convinced the picture quality is really any different between the Aiptek Action HD and the Aiptek Action HD GVS.

Honestly, the differences in bit rate that have been reported are simply too small; they could be explained by variances in the content of the video that causes the VBR (variable bit rate) to fluctuate in reaction to the amount of motion and complexity in the scene.

For there to be true improvement, one would need to see bit rate increases of 2 Mbps minimum -- and preferably higher.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 10:21 PM   #95

Private Idaho, interesting you say that because Canon also do a hard drive model of the HF100, called the HG20, of which the main difference of note is that it can do the Maximum AVCHD 24Mbps bitrate. That is about 7Mbps more than the HF100, yet they say you will be hard pressed to tell the difference in quality! If that'ts the case then you'd certainly be hard pressed to see a difference with a fraction of a Mbps increase.

I also figured that the diffference in bitrate is probablu just due to whatever is being filmed. I guess one way to know, is to film the same scene with both the Action HD and the GVS to see how the bitrate compares.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:17 AM   #96

I am interested in finding a wide angle lense that will work with the Aiptek Action HD GVS
I think there should be one that will fit, that is in the price range that suits the camera. any help would be appreciated.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:34 AM   #97

lwasouth wrote:
Quote:
I am interested in finding a wide angle lense that will work with the Aiptek Action HD GVS
I think there should be one that will fit, that is in the price range that suits the camera. any help would be appreciated.
Im interested in exact same thing, can someone point us in the right direction, thank you
tripleflip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:24 AM   #98

If you OWn the Action-HD GVS, or any Aiptek Hybrid. You'll understand no attchments are optional for the cam. you'll have to Modify your wide angle lens to the cam.

in hte full review http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

and posted below; you will see the size you ned to find.

If and only if the Hybrid had a threaded barrel, since it does not , one must be careful.

yes it is a filter, and yes if a wide fisheye or telephoto found we'll post. one week on hte market and every one wants..........:G

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:28 PM   #99

Hi all, I'm new here and recently got the Aiptek Action HD 1080p after reading all the helpful feedback/reviews from you guys here. Then, when the new and improved Aiptek Action HD GVS came out, I couldn't believe my bad timing.

Anyway, for those of you who are looking to get the GVS from walgreens.com, if you use the coupon code MEGADEAL, you get $20 off (which is technically like having free shipping and no tax).

Btw, would anyone know where I can get the latest firmware for the Action HD 1080p? I checked on mine, and it said version 1.9xxxxxxxx.

hunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 1:18 PM   #100

Welcome Hunts,

I have a action hd 1080p and still think it is a nice camera.

But ,wow 1.9 firmware. I have 1.5 on my latest 1080p. I wonder what the differences are from 1.5 to 1.9.

I wish aiptek would post info like this for us. I think the company would go alot further with consumer confidence in the company and thier products if they would just show us the olive branch.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote