Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 19, 2008, 12:08 PM   #111

Where did you find the 27MM filter
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:46 PM   #112

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HNCZDL50GVS

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XZW93K0ZAction

video is only a few secs of a odometer cluster, Flicker is occurring possably due to instrument lighting. like a old tv and video camcorder, this happ's on both cams and wonder if on hte older models as well. thought i point out as so many people pick on the obvious :G

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 7:10 AM   #113

Cameras used to get virtually no dark video, horrible glary washed out, or/and over-saturated, with high edge enhancement and blown out highlights with black shadows full of noise, in well lit rooms and even daytime, with chunky picture artifacts. We then educated people and campaigned and complained about how horrible the video was, and the industry took notice and changed and cameras got much better. Hybrids used to be very bad, they can be much better for the price, and need to be, compared to the level available to home users (bluray/flat panel). I have come across hybrids with various quality settings (ambarella based ones I think) so anybody can choose the data-rate they want. I personally need double that again for professional purposes, but then I am looking at spending three grand on a camera next year. I am more interested in consumer quality for consumers comparable to what people see with the naked eye. If they think people expect slackness manufacturers can deliver.

I still want to download a few more clips on other equipment to test before waiting for the January CES (I have heard the upcoming generation offers some advantages for me, and the HSHD is not available here). The look and feel of the camera, and the focus lock are good enhancements on the other hand.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:36 AM   #114

Check out the two latest downloads by Fuzz54 of the HSHD.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...947583#p947583

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DSFJOR4W
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=63CKHY6V

How do you think it compares to the GVS in 720p60?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:02 AM   #115

Video looks good. if I am comparing to the HSHD I think we need identical clips.

I would love to see what a low level looks like.

I find it hard with fast panning, the video has wash, but at given times it became SMOOTH crisp when thetrees were in there.

something, just something is missing...............

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...947583#p947583

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DSFJOR4W
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=63CKHY6V

Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:07 PM   #116

Yeah, as I keep telling ambarella, twice the data rate. The newest cameras do almost twice that data rate per pixel in 1080p30 than in 720p60. It would be good if they had a high quality mode at least match the data rate of 1080p30 in 720p60. I suspect they will eventually go to 19mb/s 1080p60, and 9mbs or more 720p60.

From the clips I have seen on the GVS/600 there are similar, except low, light. Pity the camera produces disappointing results at times, but it shapes up at other times.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:58 PM   #117

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, as I keep telling ambarella, twice the data rate. The newest cameras do almost twice that data rate per pixel in 1080p30 than in 720p60. It would be good if they had a high quality mode at least match the data rate of 1080p30 in 720p60. I suspect they will eventually go to 19mb/s 1080p60, and 9mbs or more 720p60.

From the clips I have seen on the GVS/600 there are similar, except low, light. Pity the camera produces disappointing results at times, but it shapes up at other times.
They already do have cameras capable of that data rate, but they are higher end consumer cameras such as the HF100 which I am seriously looking at as a possibility in the new year depending on how my finances are.

The problem is that the 17Mbps (or 24Mbps data rate if you get the HG20) are a serious challenge for most consumers PCs. I have a decent Quad core and those 17Mbps are already difficult to handle which is why I may still get a GVS. I need something that's better than my HDV178 which seems to drop frames for sure.

Remember the inexpensive hybrids are aimed at consumers and they have to be able to handle the bitrate because the first thing you will here in a review is that the 'video is horrible, jerky' etc. because their PC can't handle it and most consumers don't even buy quad cores, they often buy the cheapest PC they can afford.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:25 PM   #118

Sorry. You are mistaking things a little. Ambarella has a sort of pride in doing 720p60 at 6mb/s, but the reality is that it does suffer, and the higher data-rate is still needed. That is what I am getting at, and a extra mode at the same max data-rate as 1080p is not much to ask for.

The other thing is the need to package proper codec and software with the cameras. Quad core is a misnomer in performance terms, the software needed is one that will take advantage of GPU processing, which is more powerful even on the low end cards then these high end CPU's. The result is that they are capable of not only encoding but encoding a number of HD streams at once. One of the biggest challenge is Intel, they often have inadequate on board GPU's. But the reality is also the camera will operate a HDTV, and bluray players and PS3's can play recordings much cheaper. If they introduce a 19mb/s 720p60 mode in the future (where PC's will be more powerful) then anybody is welcome to use 6 mb/s on their slower PC's, and the rest of us can get on with life with real Bluray level quality, a good compromise. I have, in the past, suggested that they use the ambarella chip in the camera to do the playback and editing, or just accelerate, using a PC through USB to control it (more advanced effects might be best done on PC's). More sophisticated editing then current could also be done on camera through a remote/keyboard. A PC is not even needed, unless you want to burn a disk or do really fancy editing effects. There are ways around the problem.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 2:46 PM   #119

continous shot:

turn cam on menu cont, shot on.

you press the joystick mouse IN snaps snapsounds click, click,,,,,,,,,,,, 10 bursts

a normal still is around 36x27 1.5mb

a bust shot is 17x10 175kb

only 1080P will enable the burst.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:11 PM   #120

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
IĀ* find it hard with fast panning, theĀ* video has wash, but at given times it became SMOOTH crisp when thetrees were in there.

something, just something is missing...............

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

I should have pointed out, that there is a smudge on one side of the lens in both shoots.