Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:21 PM   #121

I See DEAD PIXELS! :evil:

DO NOT BUY ON SALE FROM WALGREENS!!

I love what Aiptek has been attempting to do over the years. Great product designs ideas, great and easy user interface designs, low end of the scale prices… now if they could only have some sort of consistency in making products that work as designed they would be a hit- not the miss that they are right now.

HISTORY: Years ago I bought a DV 4500 (still have it), and I really should have returned it immediately as the firmware in it constantly gets ‘hung up' forcing me to remove the battery cover in order to ‘re-boot' the camera. I bought another DV 4500 for my partner and his ALWAYS worked flawlessly until he killed it with abuse.

2009: I bought the new Aiptek Action GVS camera from Walgreens.com (on sale for $179.00). When I received the camera and tested it, all looked good until I played my video back on my HD TV… In every video setting I had dead pixels that were WAY OBVIOUS on the screen of my TV that could not be seen on the cameras small 3" screen. I double checked this again by looking at live video from the camera on the HDTV and sure enough, in all modes there are dead pixels that show up. One really bad dead one smack in the middle of the screen and more around the edges of the picture. I didn't bother counting how many bad pixels as even one bad pixel can make this camera's output worthless- assuming you bought an HD camera meaning you care about how it looks in the first place. TOO BAD… as this product really looked promising.

Here is where everything really gets CRAPPY: I called Walgreens.com customer service. Walgreens policy is to let you return the camera for a refund (at a store or ship it back). I REALLY WANTED THIS CAMERA and I really wanted an exchange for a new one… one that worked! The Walgreens.com website stated that the price had gone back up to $249.00 and that the camera was ‘out of stock'. The Walgreens.com customer support rep told me I could "order another one from the website once they were in stock again". I mentioned that "I would like to get it at the sale price I paid as I noticed that the price had gone back to $249.00". The phone rep said that she "could not authorize the sale price herself" (she was as friendly and as helpful as she could be- not her fault). The Walgreens.com phone rep said that she would make notations in her system about the problem so that when I called back to order again, that the information would be ‘on file'. Next day I checked the site again and saw that the camera was in stock again. I called to order it but was told I would have to pay full price ($249.00). I asked to be transferred to a supervisor that had the authority to ‘fix' the situation. The Walgreens phone rep said that she could only take down my information (comments and contact info) and that a supervisor would get in touch with me via phone. WELL, It has been weeks and I have not heard a word from Walgreens.com at all. Sure- I could call back and demand a supervisor ‘fix' the problem but FUCK IT! They should have called me back- and promptly. They need to fix their customer service so that a rep can ‘fix' an issue like this on the spot. They were able to look up my original sale info (date, price I paid, etc.) and could see that I called about returning the product, all in a very timely manner as the camera was bad from day one.… yet Walgreens.com couldn't honor the sale price! WTF--- THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A CAMERA THAT WORKED CORRECTLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Deciding that I have currently had enough dealing with fucking idiots, I'll NEVER buy fromWalgreens.com… and to avoid Aiptek- at least for a few more years. Plus I'll spread the word so others may choose better retail stores with 'actual' customer service, and at least be aware of what you may end up with if deciding to 'just gamble and take a chance' on purchasing an Aiptek product that may just be another turd.

I have just purchased a Cannon HF100 on-line, for $289.00 (BRAND NEW, plus another $20.00 for shipping) and it has specs that beat the freakin' pants off the Aiptek product, and with the Cannon name I do not expect to find any dead pixels in the product. I'll chime in again to let everyone know how the Cannon works out for me.

In the end: TOO BAD for Aiptek… I really wanted to give Aiptek another shot (after lackluster experience with my old Aiptek DV 4500)- even another chance at a replacement Action GVS if Walgreens had not totally fucked up my customer service experience with them… I'll never buy anything from Walgreens.com on sale- that could possibly need returning as I now know first hand how BADLY that they can ROYALLY FUCK THAT UP.

And AIPTEK… Perhaps I'll give you another try in a few more years, when you can actually make a product that captures real, full HD at 1920x1080, at a good price, and it will have to actually work correctly. I am not sure if you are just using the cheapest parts you can get, perhaps that and a combination of poor manufacturing practices???? Like I state above, you have GREAT IDEAS and great interfaces… but the end resulting products seem to have very high failure rates. Congrats to anyone that got an Action GVS that works good… it sure looks like it would be a cool camera to have- even if it does not capture in Full HD at 1920x1080- still very cool.
DJ Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:07 AM   #122

I hear Ya........ Walgreens is not a electronics store. but we ll must go there some time in the Wee hours of night for essentials etc.

Hey what's that over there . dumped 300.00 in a heartbeat at 3 am.

It's almost like goingto a Expo Center. walking pass abooth caught your attention

and sold you this 500.00 hybrid, triedat home, found online etc at 90.00

cannot go back they're moved on to another city.

So YEP I hear ya. it is a hot seller, it is a low budget cam, it is just that. not sayinga bad thing nor gonna say its a good thing

DJ Alan wrote:
Quote:
I See DEAD PIXELS! :evil:

DO NOT BUY ON SALE FROM WALGREENS!!

I love what Aiptek has been attempting to do over the years. Great product designs ideas, great and easy user interface designs, low end of the scale prices… now if they could only have some sort of consistency in making products that work as designed they would be a hit- not the miss that they are right now.

HISTORY: Years ago I bought a DV 4500 (still have it), and I really should have returned it immediately as the firmware in it constantly gets ‘hung up' forcing me to remove the battery cover in order to ‘re-boot' the camera. I bought another DV 4500 for my partner and his ALWAYS worked flawlessly until he killed it with abuse.

2009: I bought the new Aiptek Action GVS camera from Walgreens.com (on sale for $179.00). When I received the camera and tested it, all looked good until I played my video back on my HD TV… In every video setting I had dead pixels that were WAY OBVIOUS on the screen of my TV that could not be seen on the cameras small 3" screen. I double checked this again by looking at live video from the camera on the HDTV and sure enough, in all modes there are dead pixels that show up. One really bad dead one smack in the middle of the screen and more around the edges of the picture. I didn't bother counting how many bad pixels as even one bad pixel can make this camera's output worthless- assuming you bought an HD camera meaning you care about how it looks in the first place. TOO BAD… as this product really looked promising.

Here is where everything really gets CRAPPY: I called Walgreens.com customer service. Walgreens policy is to let you return the camera for a refund (at a store or ship it back). I REALLY WANTED THIS CAMERA and I really wanted an exchange for a new one… one that worked! The Walgreens.com website stated that the price had gone back up to $249.00 and that the camera was ‘out of stock'. The Walgreens.com customer support rep told me I could "order another one from the website once they were in stock again". I mentioned that "I would like to get it at the sale price I paid as I noticed that the price had gone back to $249.00". The phone rep said that she "could not authorize the sale price herself" (she was as friendly and as helpful as she could be- not her fault). The Walgreens.com phone rep said that she would make notations in her system about the problem so that when I called back to order again, that the information would be ‘on file'. Next day I checked the site again and saw that the camera was in stock again. I called to order it but was told I would have to pay full price ($249.00). I asked to be transferred to a supervisor that had the authority to ‘fix' the situation. The Walgreens phone rep said that she could only take down my information (comments and contact info) and that a supervisor would get in touch with me via phone. WELL, It has been weeks and I have not heard a word from Walgreens.com at all. Sure- I could call back and demand a supervisor ‘fix' the problem but f*** IT! They should have called me back- and promptly. They need to fix their customer service so that a rep can ‘fix' an issue like this on the spot. They were able to look up my original sale info (date, price I paid, etc.) and could see that I called about returning the product, all in a very timely manner as the camera was bad from day one.… yet Walgreens.com couldn't honor the sale price! WTF--- THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A CAMERA THAT WORKED CORRECTLY IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! Deciding that I have currently had enough dealing with f***ing idiots, I'll NEVER buy fromWalgreens.com… and to avoid Aiptek- at least for a few more years. Plus I'll spread the word so others may choose better retail stores with 'actual' customer service, and at least be aware of what you may end up with if deciding to 'just gamble and take a chance' on purchasing an Aiptek product that may just be another turd.

I have just purchased a Cannon HF100 on-line, for $289.00 (BRAND NEW, plus another $20.00 for shipping) and it has specs that beat the freakin' pants off the Aiptek product, and with the Cannon name I do not expect to find any dead pixels in the product. I'll chime in again to let everyone know how the Cannon works out for me.

In the end: TOO BAD for Aiptek… I really wanted to give Aiptek another shot (after lackluster experience with my old Aiptek DV 4500)- even another chance at a replacement Action GVS if Walgreens had not totally f***ed up my customer service experience with them… I'll never buy anything from Walgreens.com on sale- that could possibly need returning as I now know first hand how BADLY that they can ROYALLY f*** THAT UP.

And AIPTEK… Perhaps I'll give you another try in a few more years, when you can actually make a product that captures real, full HD at 1920x1080, at a good price, and it will have to actually work correctly. I am not sure if you are just using the cheapest parts you can get, perhaps that and a combination of poor manufacturing practices???? Like I state above, you have GREAT IDEAS and great interfaces… but the end resulting products seem to have very high failure rates. Congrats to anyone that got an Action GVS that works good… it sure looks like it would be a cool camera to have- even if it does not capture in Full HD at 1920x1080- still very cool.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2009, 5:08 PM   #123

oh yes do not forget to tell others of walgreens restocking Fee of 15 % which i found out.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:02 AM   #124

Does the Aiptek Action HD GVS allow a remote/bullet camera to be plugged in? When I plug in my Hoyttech bullet cam to the AV/headphone port, the menu asks if I want to go AV Out or Microphone . . . no option for AV in like there was on my old cheapie Aiptek.
DavidCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:54 PM   #125

Wow! This sounds more like a rant than constructive criticism.

You turned a customer service problem with Walgreens into a rant at Aiptek! Sure you got a flawed camera, but it seems, that because Walgreens gave you poor customer service, you then turned to blasting Aiptek for it.

Look, Aiptek is a low end product as fishycomics pointed out and sure they should have better Quality control but did you ever try to purchase it elsewhere such as amazon.com? Generally I give a company at least a second chance before I bad mouth them and believe me I am not defending Aiptek as I have had my share of problems in the past but if you think that Canon is immune to dead pixels and other problems, think again. There are plenty of rants about Canon on the net too.

I myself have often have bad luck with electronics initially, though once I finally get a good one it tends to last me years.

For instance my Canon A1000 which I bought for my wife from sears, which we love, had a bad pixel on the sensor from the start and I had to exchange it. Then one of the positions on the mode dial didn't work properly, but I was already out of the 30 day return period by then, so I ended up sending it to Canon for Warranty. It is now fixed and so far in great working order.

My 6 year old Minolta Dimage F300. I had to exchange that 3 times to get a good one at amazon back then! I think that may have initially been for stuck pixels as well though it's so long ago I can't remember.

As to the HF100, I also tried one out, but you know what? The reds were way off on my camera. They tended too much towards pink and so I contacted Canon and showed sample photos they seem to agree, so I tried to exchange it, but of course it wasn't in stock so amazon forced me to refund instead. When it did come back in stock it was at some silly price of $900 because they had just got the HF200 in which was an unknown quantity for me at that point plus I couldn't justify $749.

So I decided to get another Aiptek, the GVS for $179 to tide me over while I decide if I really do want to get a 'better' camcorder.

But you know what, this Aiptek GVS isn't bad for it's price and as to your rant that it 'doesn't capture HD at 1920x1080', you do know that many of the more expensive cameras such as Canon only captured at 1440x1080 as well initially? So it's not some odd format that Aiptek invented. Even your HF100 only shoots in 1920x1080 in the highest quality mode and uses 1440x1080 for the others. What was once used on more expensive cameras is naturally going to be present on low end cameras for a while longer.

I hope you enjoy your HF100 as it is very nice camcorder but I'd love to know where you got it for $289 brand new as everywhere I have seen with a very low price has been refurbished and much more than $289.

Last edited by rgvcam; Jul 11, 2009 at 1:42 PM.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 3:39 PM   #126

either the addressed post was deleted......... or not reading right.....

Walgreens is not and not Aiptek they are a third party, they only pass and will charge for opened items.

There is a young lady by the name of E.... I know it begins with a E, I'll remember it. she is the sup corp, and will help you out if you got a problem. Walgreens offered the better price, next time I'll pass and go directly.

not worth the issues I agree but will defend that Aiptek deserves a chance they are the camerastore, not walgreens
Old Mar 30, 2010, 1:48 PM   #127

Default Newest and final firmware for Z500+ / Action HD

V1.500 for archival reasons
V2.001 for archival reasons (1. Add Audio codec: MS2002, 2. Add video codec: ADV7180, 3. Modify Auto power off define, 4. Add AF lock, 5. Fix camcorder & TV both output sound after recording on TV)
V2.800 final firmware (1. Fix system random power off when recording with adaptor, 2. Fix system random stop recording when recording with adaptor)

Last edited by Chatty; Mar 30, 2010 at 2:01 PM.
Chatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:00 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatty View Post
V1.500 for archival reasons
V2.001 for archival reasons (1. Add Audio codec: MS2002, 2. Add video codec: ADV7180, 3. Modify Auto power off define, 4. Add AF lock, 5. Fix camcorder & TV both output sound after recording on TV)
V2.800 final firmware (1. Fix system random power off when recording with adaptor, 2. Fix system random stop recording when recording with adaptor)

hats off to ya.

I wonder if it fixs the sound to? let me know what difference is with the cam as i asked....... and Dust in the wind

AF lock hmmm suspicous becaus the fixed focus has no auto focus lock nothing to lock LOL
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:04 PM   #129

Hey fishy... no need for a full quote here.

I dunno what the inbetween versions fixed. Mine was always working fine but I just need to have the latest firmwares on all my electronics *fg*
Chatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2010, 2:51 PM   #130

As each firmware fixed an issue others were created, and yet they have fixed the audio, that is all I am saying