Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:22 AM   #11

3noiZ wrote:
Quote:
first of all, would like to thank fishycomics for providing lots of info on these hybrids 'cheap' cams . been reading threads of forums, mostly regarding aiptek action hd and jazz elite hdv178that lead me to purchase both over the sanyo vpc-hd100(returned for action hd)and hdv188. lots of helpfull info thanks to fishy!

question for both e3l and fishy;

is the gvs better in many ways compared to the action hd?
are the video resolutions the same as the action hd?
does the gvs also have the d1 @ 60fps?
are the batteries the same(np60)?
can anyone post the manual online pls?

just bought my action hd in exchange from the sanyo vpchd100, wondering if the gvs is really a better choice, again thanks to fishy, available at walgreens.com?

appreciate any help.
We really don't know if the GVS is better as of yet . I believe only one has posted about the GVS, I will not have mine till tues around noon. It's a new camera and atm not many people have them them.

I by luck have the action hd and will do a side by side comparison of both cameras on tues afternoon.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:09 PM   #12

Welcome Kigg......

1. I can only comment, not yet the owner of the new model. walgreens a funny site last time I ordered there they withheld the GO and delayed shipping LOL

2 Battery 3.7vdc 1200mah. aftermarkets 3.6 750- and up. , charging through USB on pc, or in a dc car (see pic below) will only Charge camera, this one will only charge camera, will not allow cam to turn on and record, need to mod the wiing. I use a dc/ac converter with supplied ac charger. thoughtthis will work, but oh well I needed a duel plug anyway. its three plugs LOL

you can most likely build your own battery pack, of aa batterries,as long as the voltage is no higher then 6vdc you'll cause the cam to fail. 4.5vdc will work just fine

reason each lithium aa or other are 1.2 add three up you get 3.6 add 3 1.5 you get 4.5 the usb is a 5.0vdc

Kiggulak wrote:
Quote:
Quick question about the battery. You mentioned ejecting it. When I went to Aiptek's website the GVS model is not listed on the replacement battery page.

Can the camera be powered via USB? If so then I can get an external USB li-ion battery pack that can power the ipods and cell phones in a pinch as well.

Generally I like to have at least 1 spare battery and numerous media replacements to keep filming the kiddos. Getting SDHC media cards is easy its the battery that is my sticking point for the sale.

PS the 1200mAh battery is at what voltage?

PPS I bit the bullet Dec 9th is my arrival date.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:27 PM   #13
E3L

First of all, Aiptek now has the camera available on their site:
http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

To answer some of the questions:
  • IMO the GVS is better than the Action HD, I don't have one, but have played with that model a bit, and it certainly feels better, and spec-wise, it compares much nicer, and from what I've seen from this site, many of the problems with the old version have been solved.[/*]
  • The GVS looks like it has the same resolutions, and seems to do D1 at 60fps, (WVGA 60f)[/*]
  • The GVS came with a 1200mAh battery, probably the ZPT-NP60-2 - labeled only as NP60 / 1200mAh (the Aiptek site ambitiously says NP60, with variants from 850-1200mAh). I emailed Aiptek asking about the compatibility of the ZPT-PM18 1800mAh battery with the GVS, but no response yet, though looking at the chart, it probably will work (using the bigger battery cover, though not listed on the site offcially yet)[/*]
  • The GVS charges off USB power from a PC while off, but if you open the display, it will turn into a USB storage device (I assume it still charges in this mode, not sure). I have not yet found the correct way to disconnect it from the PC without it freaking out, heh.[/*]
E3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:27 PM   #14

Welcome 3noiz...

Thank you very kind of you..........

GVS to the Action...

I can probabl say everything the Action is, the GVS is and better, all the issues the Action has is now fixed into the GVS for example Focus hunt. sound, vid res, so on.

I ask myself, AF why the sanyo I have is rock solid. and the Aiptek, always needs correcting.

30 days at Walgreens trial the Action, if you do not like it and opt for the GVS you only lose the shipping? so why we ask a ton to learn LOL hope that helped a lil.

3noiZ wrote:
Quote:
first of all, would like to thank fishycomics for providing lots of info on these hybrids 'cheap' cams . been reading threads of forums, mostly regarding aiptek action hd and jazz elite hdv178that lead me to purchase both over the sanyo vpc-hd100(returned for action hd)and hdv188. lots of helpfull info thanks to fishy!

question for both e3l and fishy;

is the gvs better in many ways compared to the action hd?
are the video resolutions the same as the action hd?
does the gvs also have the d1 @ 60fps?
are the batteries the same(np60)?
can anyone post the manual online pls?

just bought my action hd in exchange from the sanyo vpchd100, wondering if the gvs is really a better choice, again thanks to fishy, available at walgreens.com?

appreciate any help.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:32 PM   #15

Fishy thanks for the Great idea.

I have a camping battery that I can connect my laptop car DC-AC inverter into and generate AC to power the camera through the wall plug.

Heck of an add hock work around instead of allowing direct power and record from usb.

Now I don't have to buy any new batteries. Not that I want to lug this thing around.

Kiggulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:52 PM   #16

So it looks like this is a better camera than the Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD100.

I am getting my wife a camera for Christmas. Her critera is that it must be small and easy to use as she feels a fool carrying my honking great big Sony around.

So I have got her a:
  • Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD100 (picked up first from Walmart)[/*]
  • Aiptek Action HD GVS (due to be delivered today from Walgreens)[/*]
  • Flip MinoHD (due to be delivered between now and the 12th according to Walmart)[/*]
From an ease of use and smallness I am thinking that she will prefer the Flip MinoHD, but I am concerned about the lack of image stablization and zoom.

The Sanyo when I played with in in Walmart looked pretty good for the price but I was concerned that the focusing was slow and this camera is primarily for recording our children.

I'm figuring that now I have got the GVS (which I was not even aware off when I got the Sanyo) that I may as well return the Sanyo.

That way I will only have to give my wife two cameras for Christmas and let her choose one between them.

I would be interested in comments from someone who gets the GVS and has used cameras like the Sanyo or the Flip before.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 3:57 PM   #17

E3L wrote:
Quote:
  • but NO USB cable. (see picture)[/*]
USB cable is in the specs on the Aiptek website. I would suggest that you contact them.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:06 PM   #18

funny, led lights is also in the specs... does anybody see an LED light?

thanks for the reply fishy, and e3l... looks like action hd is going back, and will put an order @ walgreens.com... like you said, 7$ isn't much of a loss.
3noiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 4:13 PM   #19

I work with a couple of Sanyo VPC-CG6s and I don't like the way the PLAYBACK MODE is configured and -- looking at the manual -- I see no way of improving it.

The Aiptek camcorders -- on the other hand -- seem to have a more user-friendly playback menu where you are presented with several thumbnails from which to choose. Select the thumbnail. Click it. It plays. Very simple and intuitive.

With the Sanyo VPC-CG6 camcorders, it's a more laborious process where you manipulate a toggle to browse -- one-by-one -- until you find the clip you want to play. I've looked for a better setup in the manual, but can't find it. I don't like it.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:28 PM   #20

are we talking about the Hd100? I know the answer lol.

the HD100, I would like to know if it using My Works, because if it is then we have the same firmware cameras in two different comapny models?

My Works and previous files of Aiptek made this very simple to operate. reason why it is straight out of the box no thrills camcorder.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
I work with a couple of Sanyo VPC-CG6s and I don't like the way the PLAYBACK MODE is configured and -- looking at the manual -- I see no way of improving it.

The Aiptek camcorders -- on the other hand -- seem to have a more user-friendly playback menu where you are presented with several thumbnails from which to choose. Select the thumbnail. Click it. It plays. Very simple and intuitive.

With the Sanyo VPC-CG6 camcorders, it's a more laborious process where you manipulate a toggle to browse -- one-by-one -- until you find the clip you want to play. I've looked for a better setup in the manual, but can't find it. I don't like it.