Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:34 PM   #21

at one given point they are referringthis as a action HD. it is now a action HD GVS.

like i say Onestep foward , two steps back

3noiZ wrote:
Quote:
funny, led lights is also in the specs... does anybody see an LED light?

thanks for the reply fishy, and e3l... looks like action hd is going back, and will put an order @ walgreens.com... like you said, 7$ isn't much of a loss.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 5:43 PM   #22
E3L

More information regarding batteries (got a response from Aiptek Support - grr, maybe duct tape will work lol)
Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. The new Action-HD GVS model will not be able to use the 1800mAh battery, because you need a special battery cover for it to fit, and the new GVS does not have a battery door like our other style models that it does fit. The GVS camcorder comes with a 1200mAh battery, so you could order the ZPT-NP60-2.

Thank you,
Webmaster Aiptek, Inc.
E3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:01 PM   #23

Thank you.

the design changedfrom theA-Hd series justa little I am sure taht the door no longer is wrapped it is flush. so yes you can place the double capacity batt in but you need yuor own designers door.

well lets see what happs.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:44 PM   #24

amazon.com selling hte Action Hd GVS for 229.99 whileAiptek.come advertises it on their site andat 249.99

ofcourse they are always 20.00diffrence.

so

wonder if the price will again drop lower?
Old Dec 5, 2008, 6:52 PM   #25

Got mine today! First hybrid. Also, first post. This forum is what led me to this model. I originally became interested in a hybrid HD with the Kodak zi6, which I discovered by accident when browsing at Radio Shack. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. Some web searching led me to a different forum for a review of that. There I found the Aiptek line, and finally ended up here. I decided on the Action HD, then realized the GVS would be better for just a few dollars more. 5x optical zoom and image stabilization clinched it.

I ordered on Monday 12/1, shipped UPS Ground California (drop shipped from Aiptek) to Ohio, received in 4 business days. Ordered from walgreens.com for 199.99, with tax and shipping about $220. I wanted to receive it this week as my daughter is in a sport cheer competition (very action-packed) on Sunday that I wanted to record in 720p60.

It's doing its initial charge right now. Can't wait to experiment/practice.

Mine did include a USB to mini-USB cable. The original poster got cheated, but fortunately it's a cheap item and any camera buff already has ten of them anyway.

(I didn't compose any of these images, just quick-snapped with a point-and-shoot, so focus, lighting is bad)

First image: the box

Image 2: the contents

Top row (L-R): software CDROM, carrying case, user manual, remote control instructions in 12 languages

Middle row: component video cables for HD out, stereo audio/composite video bundle, remote, USB cable, mini tripod, 1200mAh battery, warranty card (one year), Getting Started guide.

Bottom row: charger, lens cover, the GVS!

Images 3-7: various views of the GVS in my hand so you can see the size

Image 8: the MINI tripod!

I'll share more opinions after it's done charging.

random31221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 7:12 PM   #26

Welcome aboard random...

the battery should be charged 8 hours they say.

Congrads. on your hybrid.

random31221 wrote:
Quote:
Got mine today! First hybrid. Also, first post. This forum is what led me to this model. I originally became interested in a hybrid HD with the Kodak zi6, which I
I'll share more opinions after it's done charging.

Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:25 PM   #27

Thanks fishy.

The manual said charge for 3.5 hours. Mine went for 3.25 and showed green. I hope I didn't ruin it on the first day, but I can always update.

On the 1800mAh batteries, why not just leave the cover off and throw some electrical tape on it? J/K, but it would work.

Random thoughts:

This thing is, if possible, almost too lightweight. I would like it to have more heft. For comparison, I've window-shopped Sanyo, Kodak, Jazz, and Flip at B&M stores. Some of those were attached to the counter by cables, so comparison on weight is difficult. One thing is certain: better too light than too heavy.

There appears to be a 5MP maximum on stills, versus the 8MP on the Action. This is only a minor inconvenience, as stills will only be candids. I will use this for composed still photos approximately never. For someone considering this for dual purposes but on a tight budget, I say no. I would get this for video and some sort of point-and-shoot for stills, depending on price range. For hobby photography, I'll stick to DSLR, but even point-and-shoots would be superior.

No AF noise on recording or on playback. I have not yet played video back on other than the LCD monitor on the GVS yet. Playing on an HDTV may change this.

AF is decent. Faster and more precise than point-and-shoots of 3 years ago. One click AF off, but zooming is impossible with AF off.

5x optical zoom looks good with only indoor low-light testing so far (and the understandably mediocre results). Digital zoom, as with 99.873% of all cameras, is worthless.

A friend raved about his Flip. I got the last laugh.

Menu is user-friendly. I feel a little fumble-fingered on these controls. This is not a complaint, as a small body clearly demands small buttons.

That cover is VERY hard to open.

I'll take some 720p60 video this weekend and post it if it turns out. It will be relatively high-speed subject matter, so it should be interesting.

random31221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 8:46 PM   #28

1. Af can you zoom in on the object, then lock and film and it is rock solid?

2 with Af on does the cam filing hunt in/out offocus?

with the battery fully charged with 2-3 hours time you're alright . they want you to get it to peaks proformance,

random31221 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fishy.

The manual said charge for 3.5 hours. Mine went for 3.25 and showed green. I hope I didn't ruin it on the first day, but I can always update.

On the 1800mAh batteries, why not just leave the cover off and throw some electrical tape on it? J/K, but it would work.

Random thoughts:

This thing is, if possible, almost too lightweight. I would like it to have more heft. For comparison, I've window-shopped Sanyo, Kodak, Jazz, and Flip at B&M stores. Some of those were attached to the counter by cables, so comparison on weight is difficult. One thing is certain: better too light than too heavy.

There appears to be a 5MP maximum on stills, versus the 8MP on the Action. This is only a minor inconvenience, as stills will only be candids. I will use this for composed still photos approximately never. For someone considering this for dual purposes but on a tight budget, I say no. I would get this for video and some sort of point-and-shoot for stills, depending on price range. For hobby photography, I'll stick to DSLR, but even point-and-shoots would be superior.

No AF noise on recording or on playback. I have not yet played video back on other than the LCD monitor on the GVS yet. Playing on an HDTV may change this.

AF is decent. Faster and more precise than point-and-shoots of 3 years ago. One click AF off, but zooming is impossible with AF off.

5x optical zoom looks good with only indoor low-light testing so far (and the understandably mediocre results). Digital zoom, as with 99.873% of all cameras, is worthless.

A friend raved about his Flip. I got the last laugh.

Menu is user-friendly. I feel a little fumble-fingered on these controls. This is not a complaint, as a small body clearly demands small buttons.

That cover is VERY hard to open.

I'll take some 720p60 video this weekend and post it if it turns out. It will be relatively high-speed subject matter, so it should be interesting.

Old Dec 5, 2008, 9:55 PM   #29
E3L

random31221 wrote:
Quote:
Mine did include a USB to mini-USB cable. The original poster got cheated, but fortunately it's a cheap item and any camera buff already has ten of them anyway.
hehe ya, but yes, I do already have way too many of those so, its not a bother I actually used a tiny apple AC > USB adapter with a normal USB mini cable to charge it without having to carry around the provided AC charger.

On another note the camera outputs (at 720p/60) .MOV files listed as :
Video: 1280x720x24 59.960fps progressive H.264
Audio: 48,000Hz, 16bit Stereo AAC

Still trying to decide the best way to deal with these, since it's not the most friendly format, especially for audio, which things like Vegas Pro refuses to read :/ I also only get the smooth playback using VLC, can't get Quicktime or iTunes to do that...
E3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:23 PM   #30

Well I got my (wife's) GVS.

Its on charge at the moment and I can not play with it too much as it is a gift after all... But, first impression are this:

Its a little bulkier that I thought it would be but it is still not bad. However it will take up a lot more room in my wife's handbag than say a MinoHD, but it must be 15 times smaller than my old Sony TRV900

This thing is light!

I am quite impressed with the look and feel of it, but it is already collecting finger prints (guess I'll have to wipe those off before I give it).

Easy access to the SD slot.

I got the USB cable so the first customer was unlucky.

The AV slot is a nightmare to open, but I think it will become easier in no time as it loosens up. At least I hope it will otherwise charging this thing is going to be a right royal pain. This cover should have been made from rubber and so far without testing the video that's the only negative so far.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote