Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:06 PM   #31

Okay, I shot a couple of videos of our junk room (where I am hiding the camera for now). I did both a 1080p30 and a 720p60 video. Both videos are about a minute and 45MB in size.

I am uploading the 720p60 video to Vimeo but they convert to 720p24 for their highest rate and they only allow one HD video per week. All settings are native apart from the EV being set at +1.

My first thoughts is that 1080p30 video is terrible. There is image smearing and it is a mess. The 720p60 is a lot better but still way below my 3CCD SD Sony - but then that camera was $1700 (7 years ago)..... So no surprise there.

I did not record any sound but I did notice quite a bit of hum though the audio which is disappointing as the camera is otherwise quiet.

The 720p60 video is at http://www.vimeo.com/2443008 when it finishes converting.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2008, 10:14 PM   #32

One other thing, I think the image stabilization on the camera is just a gimmick. When I shoot in 1080p (without stabilization) I thought the image was as stable if not more than the 720p with stabilization. I could not recognize any benefit to having stabilization.

I am uploading the 1080p as well to Vimeo though due to the 1 HD file per week, this one will be SD, but you should see what I mean about the stability. http://www.vimeo.com/2443068

So with my first couple of minutes of video I am about ready to return the camera. Hopefully some tests over the weekend will be better.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:14 AM   #33

Me again!

Okay I now took some similar shots using my Sony DV camera.

http://www.vimeo.com/2443506

The Sony has obvious benefits due to its true optical image stabilization, 10x optical zoom and its better low light capability. But what was the revelation is when you look at the resolution of the picture. The Aiptek in it 720p60 mode easily trounced the Sony. The resolution in the 1080p mode looked better still, but the video smearing in that (perhaps the camera was going into a low light mode?) ruined the video even though the resolution was obviously there.

Anyway doing this comparison has made me warm up to the camera a little. There are obviously resolution improvements over a SD camcorder, now if the rest of the picture could improve?

Also as I replay these videos the high pitch hum from the camera is kind of annoying!

Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:48 AM   #34

Nice test video's kerryn.

The colors look really good from whatI seen and I'm so glad the reds aren't blown out.

Just kills my that I ordered mine on the 29th and won't get min till the 9th. Oh well.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:20 AM   #35

highest ressetting shuts off stabliization. the other two are allowed
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:53 AM   #36

This camera is ABSOLUTELY USELESS in low light.

I took some more video of our family room that has subdued lighting - no powerful lighting. The GVS was totally unable to resolve the video.

As you can see on the video, it is very dark and colors totally washed out. This is a showstopper for me as this camera will be used mostly indoors to record children and it simply can not handle low light. I'm sure it is okay outside in bright light but indoors? Well you can see for yourselves.

I also took a similar shot with my Sony which was one of the best low light cameras out there when I bought it, and you can clearly see the amount of light that was actually in the room.

http://www.vimeo.com/2445828

I know this camera would be a compromise but it does not meet any of our needs. (Small size, easy to use, reasonable low light performance). The MinoHD beats it on all three. The zoom on the GVS is nice as is the 1080p resolution, but the stabilization (720p and below) appears a gimmick and really did not help, and the 1080p mode suffered from bad image smearing.

I intend to return it and keep the MinoHD that my wife can easily keep in her handbag, then get the Canon HF100 when funds allow (which is the camera I really want).

Update: I now have my hands on the MinoHD. I did a similar low light test and got this:

http://www.vimeo.com/2471680

The image is certainly brighter, and the noise (while not good) is under control for a camera this size. I nice thing with the MinoHD is that I can plug it into my PS3 and the console will read/copy and play the files directly into my TV. No computer needed. The GVS video files are not compatible with the PS3 and these would need converting first.

I think I am pretty certain now that the MinoHD is the camera that we'll keep.

Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:11 AM   #37

http://vimeo.com/2445666

Action Hd vs GVS

action hd has gear noise not mine.

Action hd gear noise is lower GVS is on zoom of optical

action sound is hissing LOW the GVS loud and if it is the cam there is also a high pitch sound unknown if user had flourecents above that emmits noise dig zoom is silient also wonder if both are seemless zooms

Action Hd is known for focus hunting onlly see this in GVS zoom. while vid clip shown is to fast in pann

Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:20 AM   #38

Kerr...

it is not professional. LOL

everyone has a level in lighting and at the very beginning we all said it is a great outdoor cam. not just Aipteks.

No matter what your decision is, I am sure it will be the best. and I am sure the Mimo will offer a better value

what I am and waiting to comment on in my own thread will be a shocker.

Kerryn wrote:
Quote:
This camera is ABSOLUTELY USELESS in low light.

I took some more video of our family room that has subdued lighting - no powerful lighting. The GVS was totally unable to resolve the video.

As you can see on the video, it is very dark and colors totally washed out. This is a showstopper for me as this camera will be used mostly indoors to record children and it simply can not handle low light. I'm sure it is okay outside in bright light but indoors? Well you can see for yourselves.

I also took a similar shot with my Sony which was one of the best low light cameras out there when I bought it, and you can clearly see the amount of light that was actually in the room.

<Vimeo link to be updated when I upload the video>

I know this camera would be a compromise but it does not meet any of our needs. (Small size, easy to use, reasonable low light performance). The MinoHD beats it on all three. The zoom on the GVS is nice as is the 1080p resolution, but the stabilization appears a gimmick and really did not help, and the 1080p mode suffered from bag image smearing.

I intend to return it and keep the MinoHD that my wife can easily keep in her handbag, then get the Canon HF100 when funds allow (which is the camera I really want).
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:33 AM   #39

I've updated my post with the Vimeo link with my Sony video in the family room.

This was not the best either, so perhaps it was a pretty harsh test?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:54 AM   #40

A couple of points.

1. Use a tripod.

2. Use a tripod.

3. Use a tripod.

If you use a tripod, you will resolve all kinds of issues with small camcorders, including:

1. focus "hunting" is almost eliminated

2. No need for "stabilization," which I think is the silliest consumer-camcorder concepts on the face of the planet.

3. Noise associated with auto-focus mechanisms is often eliminated when a tripod is utilized for many hybrid camera models (although zoom noise often remains).

4. If you absolutely, positively have to shoot without a tripod, then invest in a SteadyTracker. I have the "SteadyTracker UltraLite" for example:

http://www.steadytracker.com/steady5.html
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote