Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:54 AM   #41

thank you

the cam will be compared andshould be compared with theAipteks.

your cam compared to others is a perfect example. of why we take a step foward and fall two steps back

Kerryn wrote:
Quote:
I've updated my post with the Vimeo link with my Sony video in the family room.

This was not the best either, so perhaps it was a pretty harsh test?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:00 AM   #42

Also, there is only one Aiptek camcorder that I've tested so far that works very well in low light.

Believe it or not, it's the STANDARD DEFINITION ISDV2.4.

I've seen low-light video from the older model ISDV2 and let me tell you: there's NO COMPARISON. The ISDV2.4 handles low-light very well. Mine does.

I have the Aiptek GO-HD and the Aiptek Action HD and both of these high definition models struggle in low light, although the GO-HD is actually a little better.

If you need a low light HD camcorder, then one would be wise to shop for a different brand.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:39 AM   #43

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
A couple of points.

1. Use a tripod.

2. Use a tripod.

3. Use a tripod.
I agree on the use of a tripod, but we are not trying to make professional films here and this is not the camera for that audience.

This is the camera for the type of person who sees something, whips it out and takes a video. I don't see most people lugging a tripod around for that "it" shot.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:29 AM   #44

Focus hunt will nevergo away with a tripod, especialy the Aiptek Action HD. my reviews are made with a tripod when I am inside. E

the gear Noise will always be there even using the remote control to the camera. Noise associated. a remote eliminatesd yourfinger on the buttons that cause the additional noise.

and your last Q4 may be the best info.

Stabilization it depends on the person.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
A couple of points.

1. Use a tripod.

2. Use a tripod.

3. Use a tripod.

If you use a tripod, you will resolve all kinds of issues with small camcorders, including:

1. focus "hunting" is almost eliminated

2. No need for "stabilization," which I think is the silliest consumer-camcorder concepts on the face of the planet.

3. Noise associated with auto-focus mechanisms is often eliminated when a tripod is utilized for many hybrid camera models (although zoom noise often remains).

4. If you absolutely, positively have to shoot without a tripod, then invest in a SteadyTracker. I have the "SteadyTracker UltraLite" for example:

http://www.steadytracker.com/steady5.html
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:32 AM   #45

low budget to professional

Kerryn wrote:
Quote:
Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
A couple of points.

1. Use a tripod.

2. Use a tripod.

3. Use a tripod.
I agree on the use of a tripod, but we are not trying to make professional films here and this is not the camera for that audience.

This is the camera for the type of person who sees something, whips it out and takes a video. I don't see most people lugging a tripod around for that "it" shot.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:30 PM   #46

I like using a mono pole instead of a tripod for these small cameras.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:34 PM   #47

Focus hunt *does* practically cease when I use a tripod with my Aiptek Action HD.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:35 PM   #48

The statement that "focus hunt will never go away with a tripod" is not true; I can prove it over and over again.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:11 PM   #49

I hear ya wonder if lighting plays the toll, I have made my vids, and have seen the cam go in/out to a limit with better scenery, may work better

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
The statement that "focus hunt will never go away with a tripod" is not true; I can prove it over and over again.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:40 PM   #50

I think it's motion, actually.

If you put it on the tripod... then the camera itself isn't moving... then you reduce focus hunting to that extent.

However... even if your Action HD is on a tripod... then you might have a *subject* that is moving... and that motion can cause the focus mechanism to hunt, too.

Usually, in my experience anyway, the hunting on moving subjects is minimized with wide angle shooting.