Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:16 PM   #61

That's my impression, too. The GVS could have been a great improvement if there were no "bleed" of sound from the onboard microphone onto the audio of the external microphone input. Unfortunately, the external microphone input seems to be mostly "cosmetic" and doesn't really offer the kind of functionality that I was hoping for.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:23 PM   #62

I put the GVS through its first trial this weekend.

I bought this primarily because I will be recording fast action, well lit scenes, and the 720p60 was a major selling point. In this regard, I think it did quite well.

This video was taken on a tripod, from about 40 feet from the front of the mat and about 6 rows off the floor. The zoom ranges from 1x (no zoom) at times for the wide-angle shots, to 4x on the closest shot.

Some reactions:

The sound quality on the internal mic is quite bad. The music was very loud in the arena, but it comes across as tinny on the video. I wonder if an external mic will improve this.

The zooms seem choppy. Part of this may be my inexperience with this camera.

The AF only seems to hunt once in the video, despite several zooms in and out, and rapidly moving subjects.

Anyway, I'll post the vimeo link so people can comment on the quality. Suggestions on my videography are also welcome, as I'm admittedly quite amateur. If there is interest, I can make the raw footage available as well.

For those not familiar with the subject, it is competitive cheer, which is a combination of skills including cheer, dance, tumbling, and acrobatics.

http://vimeo.com/2458938 (3 minutes)
random31221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:18 AM   #63

I have updated post 15 with a similar low light shot from a MinoHD so it is now possible to compare the GVS directly with the MinoHD.

Sorry to say, but the MinoHD clearly beats the GVS in this regard.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:19 AM   #64

random31221 wrote:
Quote:
http://vimeo.com/2458938 (3 minutes)
Link does not work.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:19 AM   #65

No need to be sorry:-) The Flip video cameras beat a lot of camcorders, hybrids and digital cameras when it comes to low light. That is one of its major selling point. An aperture of F2.4 is pretty fast and compared to the GVS's slow/smallish F3.6. Now there's more factors playing in for better low light such as sensor size and other things, which I know little about:-). I don't know which has larger sensor so I'm not going there.

I hope to see more video samples of the Flip MinoHD as it looks interesting to me.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:15 PM   #66

OK, my GVS just arrived about 15 mins ago. I already started to test it and found something interesting .

They have increased the data rate.

Action HD 1080 30fps: 7.54 mbits/sec

Action HD GVS 1080 30fps:8.02 mbits/sec

Action HD 720 60fps: 6.04 mbits/sec

Action HD GVS 720 60fps: 6.39 mbits/sec
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:44 PM   #67

adalfa wrote:
Quote:
No need to be sorry:-) The Flip video cameras beat a lot of camcorders, hybrids and digital cameras when it comes to low light. That is one of its major selling point. An aperture of F2.4 is pretty fast and compared to the GVS's slow/smallish F3.6. Now there's more factors playing in for better low light such as sensor size and other things, which I know little about:-). I don't know which has larger sensor so I'm not going there.

I hope to see more video samples of the Flip MinoHD as it looks interesting to me.
Just go to vimeo.com and type in minohd, theres plenty of samples there. I've been looking for the holy grail of inexpensive 720p video cameras and the minohd seems to have the best video quality. The sanyo hd100 seems to be up there in quality too.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:22 PM   #68

Greetings:

I would like to know if the Action HD GVS has LED lights?

Second has anyone connected an external Microphone to verify the quality of
sound, can the external microphone record in stereo?

If there is an external microphone connection on this camcorder, won't it have
been ideal to have a Mic shoe to hold the Mic?

Regards Robert

RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:55 PM   #69

I am wondering how the close-up/macro video quality is? I am very close to purchasing this. I plan on using it for capturing video reviews of wrist watches and would need to get in fairly close to the watch as I review it.

Thanks for your help!

meijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:30 PM   #70

Yes the GVS has LED lights. I switched them on for about 5 secs, made every seem bluish so I switched it off and didn't test it.

It may have helped my low light test.