Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:18 AM   #71

The GVS I just recieved doesn't have leds. It only have flash strobe and a IR receiver in the front.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:55 AM   #72

Greetings:

Kerryn where did you buy your Aiptek?

Maxprime where did you buy your Aiptek?

Is it possible that two Aiptek Action HD GVS have different features both bought in
USA.

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 6:57 AM   #73

Rob ,I got mine from walgreens. I Looked at all the pictures from aiptek about this and none show led lights that I have found.

So, I don't know.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:30 AM   #74

I just got one of the Aiptek GVS cameras yesterday, and I've been noticing some issues with the image quality. I was curious if anyone else sees them as well.

Generally, filming with the normal modes seems to work quite well, however, when I turn Night Shot on and view the video on my computer, a lot of the time I get a few white dots all around the screen that don't go away. They flicker a little and are more prominent if I film something bright and move the camera away. They look like dead pixels on the CMOS sensor.

Is this a standard thing when you turn the exposure up so high with these low-end sensors, or should I RMA it?

It shows up at any optical zoom level in the same place (although moves a little due to stabilization), and when I use digital zoom, it enlarges and moves the dot. I can't really see it with Night Shot off ever, but it comes up most of the time with Night Shot on. 720P, 60fps is the most visible mode.
kevincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:23 AM   #75

kevincognito wrote:
Quote:
I just got one of the Aiptek GVS cameras yesterday, and I've been noticing some issues with the image quality. I was curious if anyone else sees them as well.

Generally, filming with the normal modes seems to work quite well, however, when I turn Night Shot on and view the video on my computer, a lot of the time I get a few white dots all around the screen that don't go away. They flicker a little and are more prominent if I film something bright and move the camera away. They look like dead pixels on the CMOS sensor.

Is this a standard thing when you turn the exposure up so high with these low-end sensors, or should I RMA it?

It shows up at any optical zoom level in the same place (although moves a little due to stabilization), and when I use digital zoom, it enlarges and moves the dot. I can't really see it with Night Shot off ever, but it comes up most of the time with Night Shot on. 720P, 60fps is the most visible mode.
I too recieved my GVS yesterdayand was testing it till the battery died. I haven't noticed what your decribing with my GVS,aleast I don't think so.

Here's whatI recorded .

http://www.vimeo.com/2481400

these test were all shot at 720p 60fps
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:16 AM   #76

I got my GVS from Walgreens.

I can't remember how I did it, but I got the LEDs to light - perhaps I was in photo mode at the time - but I did not take a photo.

All I remember was that the LED lit and gave a less than satisfactory bluish look on the monitor and a small spot of light and then I switched it off.

I have put the camera away for now, still trying to decide if I should give it to my wife for Christmas (and let her choose the camera she wants) or just return it (along with the Sanyo VPC-HD100 I also bought) and just stick with the MinoHD.

Decisions, decisions....
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:19 AM   #77

I'll check it out. I also have a ticket open with Aiptek.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:20 AM   #78

Deleted
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:22 AM   #79

kevincognito wrote:
Quote:

I noticed something similar on my stabilization test video. I notice, just last night, on one of the modes (720p I think, but not the other), that there was a gray pixel that seamed to be stuck apart from drifting around with the stabilization.

This may have been a artifact of the conversion of the video so I am not sure if it is a stuck pixel but that was my first thought. I will have to go back to my source clips to see if it is there as well.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:24 AM   #80

I do see similar dots in your video. Thank you so much for testing.

Notice under the left cabinet door on the wall between the door and the cups. These are the dots that I am seeing a few of, and they are more prominent on the source video. I notice a few throughout the image, but that was the easiest to pinpoint.

I think its just due to standard pixel failure showing up due to over-exposure. Most cameras self-calibrate and use pixels around the dead pixel to estimate the color of the area, but apparently the Aipteks aren't that smart.