Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 10, 2008, 4:52 PM   #81

I can show you video with the very same problem from a Sanyo VPC-CG6.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:12 AM   #82

I'm new when it comes to video cameras, so perhaps somebody here can help me. I just received the Action HD GVS for an early Christmas present. The low/medium light seems abysmal to me. I shot in my living room with lights on where I could see perfectly clear. What I record is almost unviewable because it is so dark. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the EV setting. Does it handle exposure for video or just photos? I can tell no difference at all between -2 and +2 when I record video. They look identical. Putting it in night mode does seem to make it better, but just barely passable.

I guess I'm questioning if this is normal with a camera this size and price, or am I doing something wrong, or do I possibly have a defective unit? Thanks for any help.

cjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:30 AM   #83

cjust wrote:
Quote:
I'm new when it comes to video cameras, so perhaps somebody here can help me. I just received the Action HD GVS for an early Christmas present. The low/medium light seems abysmal to me. I shot in my living room with lights on where I could see perfectly clear. What I record is almost unviewable because it is so dark. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the EV setting. Does it handle exposure for video or just photos? I can tell no difference at all between -2 and +2 when I record video. They look identical. Putting it in night mode does seem to make it better, but just barely passable.

I guess I'm questioning if this is normal with a camera this size and price, or am I doing something wrong, or do I possibly have a defective unit? Thanks for any help.

Welcome cjust,

To be honest. I have been testing the new GVS model and have had the same experience with the EV settings. I have talked to Aiptek yesterday and here's what I was told about the EV settings .

Iwas told that the differencesare very slight, I also told themwhen switching the EV settings from +2 to -2 there was no differences at all that I could tell. I also was told that they really aren't a feature anymore.:roll: Hmm.....

I was told that there hasn't been any calls about that not working. Kinda made me laugh when he said that. So ,I'd say email Aiptek support or call them and let them know.

But ,I personally feel that something in the software is broken and will be fixed in a firmware update. The only question is when.

Now on the other hand. My night shot works pretty good.

Here's a test I did with that.

http://www.vimeo.com/2481400

Now, don'tget your hopes up about shooting in the dark with these cameras you will need some kind of light source. I have used the sanyo 1010 and itdoesn't dovery low light that great either. In my opinion.

These cameras are really made for near decent lighting or outdoors lighting. But night shot does help when the lighting isn't that good. I am curious when the EV settings work how they will affect the low light recording.

Hope that helps answer your questions

Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:31 AM   #84

Maxprime wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I only had a few minutes to test last night (the reason for the camera is a new baby that takes most of my time), but my living room shots with all the lights on looked about the same or darker than your shots with just the ambient hall light. It was light enough for me to read a book, but the objects I recorded were almost invisible because the scene was so dark. I'll play with it more tonight and try the night shot some more too.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:38 AM   #85

I know this sounds crazy, but I have the Aiptek ISDV2.4 and -- no kidding -- the standard definition video from that model is about as good as I've ever seen from a hybrid IN LOW LIGHT CONDITIONS. I'm not sure why they would put a sensor like that in a cheap, standard definition model and not get the same performance out of their more expensive high definition models. Typical Aiptek.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:25 AM   #86

So, I think the CMOS sensor is underexposing a bit indoors in 60fps mode... I know you lose stabilization if you move the camera down to 720p, 30fps... but try it indoors. It makes the video quality remarkably better. It must allow more light into the sensor when it takes double the time to expose each frame...

Looks great.

Also, I noticed setting the white balance to sunny when you are indoors seems to resolve better too!
kevincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 2:55 PM   #87

cjust wrote:
Quote:
Maxprime wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I only had a few minutes to test last night (the reason for the camera is a new baby that takes most of my time), but my living room shots with all the lights on looked about the same or darker than your shots with just the ambient hall light. It was light enough for me to read a book, but the objects I recorded were almost invisible because the scene was so dark. I'll play with it more tonight and try the night shot some more too.
I don't know. When I did that test the room was basicly in the dark. There would be no way to read anything in the light I was in when I was testing.

With that said. I am far from done testing. Tonight I'll put this camera through it's paces with low light testing and post my results. ASAP.

Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:26 PM   #88

kevincognito wrote:
Quote:
So, I think the CMOS sensor is underexposing a bit indoors in 60fps mode... I know you lose stabilization if you move the camera down to 720p, 30fps... but try it indoors. It makes the video quality remarkably better. It must allow more light into the sensor when it takes double the time to expose each frame...

Looks great.

Also, I noticed setting the white balance to sunny when you are indoors seems to resolve better too!
I was just coming on to post the same thing. I've only had a chance to test for about 20 minutes tonight, but there is a world of difference between 60fps and 30fps in my indoor shots. The EV setting still won't do anything at all for me.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:58 PM   #89

I played with my GVS some more tonight. Other people are right in that it does not have LED lighting. I must have been confusing this with another camera at the time.

I improved my low light settings. I found that if you run the camera at 60fps the light sensitivity plummets. If you run it at 30 fps - either 1080p or 720p then you get much improved results. I also noted that the image stabilization does not work when driven at 30fps (not even in the 720p30 mode) so if you want improved light handling then you have to ignore any hope of a relatively stable picture - or use a tripod.

I also played with the Macro and I have to say that while it can take a number of seconds to focus, the end result is quite spectacular for a camera of this price. However it does not work when there is a lot of focal lengths in the shot and the light is so-so. I tried it on some ornaments on my Christmas tree and it would focus on the wrong objects. But stick it on a flatter surface, like your carpet and you will see every fiber.

I also got to play with the Sanyo VPC-HD100 that I also got. The low light capability of this camera I believe is better than the GVS. While the brightness is similar to my eyes it resolved the colors far better and had a lot less image noise or color banding/pixelation. What lets the HD100 down is the its zoom gear noise is super loud, its focus is slow, and my Macbook has a hard time with its 1080p output even though the same from the GVS works just fine). On the plus side, I preferred its menu system. Still my camera is broken (the SD cards will not lock into the slot - I had to hold my in with the pressure of the door only) so that is reason enough to return it.

On the whole, in my limited testing of the MinoHD, the HD100 and the GVS, I would say that the GVS has a compelling feature set but in the end it is flawed. Its low light capability is too poor for reliable shooting. and the lack of image stabilization on 30fps modes negates the improvement in resolution (1080p) or low light level improvement. My camera also has a stuck hot pixel that I have been noticing the more I have used it. The good side is macro zoom, and its decent performance in good light.

Still in the end for my purpose, a small camera that can easily be carried and pulled out quickly for the precious moments of your kids you just have to get, it is hard to beat the MinoHD. Its low light capability is amazing for the type of camera you get. Is it the best? No, its noisy and the colors are not the best, but is not annoying bad either and it gets the job done. Its totally automatic and fast to start up. Switch it on and press the record button. Even my technophobic wife can handle it! I was also reasonably impressed with its automatic exposure. Its fast enough to change in a hurry when you need it, but its slow enough so it is not hunting all over the place. Speaking of hunting, because it is fixed focus, there is no focus hunt. The down side is that if you get too close to an object then it just blurs out, and the zoom is digital only.

While the MinoHD will not suit everyone's needs, it does for me. I'll be returning the GVS and the HD100 this weekend.
Kerryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:50 AM   #90

i've been thinking about buying one of these cameras and after a long time of reading about them and looking @ samples and i was thinking about the kodak zi6 and the older version of the aiptek. i just found out a new one came out and read this entire thread and now i'm thinking about this one, the kodak zi6. or the vado HD. i'm so undecided! haha
memzinla is offline   Reply With Quote