Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:14 PM   #1

Hello all! Looks like it is a great site here!

I am looking for a little help. I run an online website for watch collectors. We have about 4,200 members. One of the thing that I want to do is make video reviews of watches...on the cheap. I have an older Aiptek that just does not do the trick. The video is just not good enough close up when trying to show off the watch and the different features. This is all in 620x480.

I was hoping that someone here could recommend something that would suit my needs. All I will really be using this for is my watch video reviews. I'll load the video into something like Cyberlink PowerDirector Ultra 7, as some titles and effects, generate a file and then convert it to FLV so I can embed it on my watch forum. I'd like to do all of this on the cheap. Meaning, I really don't want to spend much over $200 and I'd like to get the best quality I can for that general price range.

So, can any of you help me out with some recommendations?

Much thanks! I think I will be learning alot from this site!

Michael

meijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:12 AM   #2

Sounds like you need a device with a good macro ability. A regular digital camera would be better for this since you don't need high definition for the web. Most digital cameras in your budget these days can record video in 640x480/30fps such as the Canon SD1100 IS which is under $200. You can often find demo videos from various digital camera models on vimeo.com or youtube.com.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:21 AM   #3

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything at all that will shoot 640x480 and get any where near the quality and definition that I want for being able to show off the details of the watch. For instance, you get in really close to show the texture on a dial and at 640x480 you really can't see much of anything.

Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:52 AM   #4

meijin wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I have not been able to find anything at all that will shoot 640x480 and get any where near the quality and definition that I want for being able to show off the details of the watch. For instance, you get in really close to show the texture on a dial and at 640x480 you really can't see much of anything.

Hi meijin,

I just got the GVS and started testing it. If i'm reading your question correctly .Your looking about macro shots. Here's is a video I made while testing the GVS and at the end it I tested the macro mode of the GVS.

http://www.vimeo.com/2481400

I hope that is what you were looking for.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:36 PM   #5

Max:

Yes, yes, yes! Thank you very much! That is exactly what I am looking for! Perfect!

Aiptek should give you a commission on the new sale that you just locked in! LOL!

One other question if I may. On the page with your video, you mentioned trimming the video and adding the titles. Can I ask what program you are using to do that? That is the next decision that I need to make. I don't need anything much more than that...other than maybe adding some simple fades and the like.

Thanks again for your help, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Michael

Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:49 PM   #6

Well, I as many here have triedmost of programs on the market (Magix's,sony vegas CyberDirector)

I have chosen Magix movie edit pro 14 plus.It is very powerful yet easy to use.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 1:54 PM   #7

Great! Magix was one of the ones I was looking at (after doing some research). Let's just say that great minds think alike and leave it at that, eh?

Thanks again very much for your help. It is very much appreciated!
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:00 PM   #8

Anytime ,glad to help.