Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:45 AM   #41

Both the SVM and Videomic are quite large and heavy, both are excellent on a pole, especially the SVM. I bought mine from this vendor, his prices were best:

http://jacksmusicfactory.com/default.asp?lid=302_Video

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:01 PM   #42

On related news:

I purchased an Olympus DS-40 a few days ago. I am very satisfied with this product.

Granted, I was a little worried about the quality of the recordings, given that 16bit 44.1kHz 128kbps WMA8 compression is applied on the fly (on the highest quality), but to be honest, this little device rocks.

512MB of internal storage is PLENTY. I believe you can record a bit more than 8 hours at the highest quality, which I think is more than enough, since one can always 'dump' the recordings to a computer or simply reduce the quality of the recordings for non-essential events.

The included stereo microphone is very sensitive and I really liked the results.

As soon as I attached a monoauralaudio-technica lavalier microphone (with a battery) and dumped the result to a computer, I was very pleased at how clean the recording came out.

For all the above I will post some samples later on today. I am in the middle of moving to a new place so stuff is all over the place
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:28 PM   #43

I'll tell you one more thing that was a very positive surprise for me when it comes to the Olympus DS-40.

If you remove the stereo microphone from the Olympus DS-40, it reveals the presence of a MONO microphone. And -- trust me -- this little MONO microphone ROCKS.

I set my Olympus DS-40 to "STXQ" (highest) quality mode and the sound is terrific.

Why can't the hybrid camcorder manufacturers purchase circuitry similar to this and just incorporate it into the hybrid body with the corresponding external microphone input and the earphone jack for real-time monitoring?

But -- yes -- the Olympus DS-40 is an incredible tool for budget videographers who want top-quality sound.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 1:42 PM   #44

One idea I have for my Olympus DS-40 -- to mount it easily to tripods and other supports -- is to use the PEDCO UltraPod Quick Release Head:

http://www.pedcopods.com/products.shtml

I'm a little skeptical about using adhesive to attach the "button" to the back of my Olympus DS-40, but I've phoned the company and they assure me the adhesive is very strong if you follow the directions and let it "cure" overnight.

But this Quick Release Head lets one stick a mounting button on the back of a small, lightweight device such as a cell phone or an Olympus DS-40, presumably.

I've already tried it with my Sony MZ-NF810 MiniDisc recorder and it seems to be a fairly strong bond.

With the button mount, one can then attach the device to the Quick Release Head, which fits onto the Pedco UltraPod:

The UltraPod features an integrated VELCRO strap that lets one quickly and easily wrap the tiny UltraPod onto the leg of a tripod or anything similar.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:01 PM   #45

Of course, there's always good-old fashioned, industrial-strength VELCRO, too:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProdu...ro&pagesize=20

Old Dec 23, 2008, 2:34 PM   #46

Yes, I did see the mono mic under the stereo microphone, however I got much cleaner results with an external lavalier mic, since I did not have to worry about carefully handling the DS-40 to avoid noise being piked up by the sensitive mirophones.

Of course, there is always the issue of re-synching the audio with that take from a video, but I have a solution for that already. I just need to go out there and record something with both my hybrid an this unit and put them together. Soon...

:?
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:18 AM   #47

By the way... here is a 1 megabyte file that I recorded with the DS-40 recently.

Nothing fancy, no post-processing or filters (other than cutting out my 'mmm's and 'aaah's ). The original file (wma 128kbps 44kHz 16bit stereo) was uncompressed to a wave file and then converted to mp3 128kbps CBR 16bit 44.1kHz stereo (lame plugin using audacity).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2m2z3e...s40-review.mp3

I am pleased
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:04 PM   #48

I finally got the Rode VideoMic and all I can say is...

W-O-W!!!!!!

Great quality sound and at such a reasonable price. This little Rode VideoMic sounds just as good as my Audio-Technica 835b, I think. And I'm pretty picky about audio.

Trevmar, thanks for the tip about Jack's Music Factory. You were right... their price is just the best out there. I got the wind muff (Dead Cat) too. Fantastic deal. I'm delighted.

It's nice when one can get quality gear at an affordable price. So rare these days.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:21 AM   #49

Anyone ever played with (used) the Edirol R9?

http://www.edirol.com/index.php/en/p...enu-390/r-09hr

Also, what's with Olympus, I hate internal memory, when it's the only option. What if you need more out in the field, you're screwed.
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2009, 1:28 AM   #50

Wowcow,

How do you have this mounted, I can't tell what is what by the photo.

Thanks.

Wowcow wrote:
Quote:
This was my answer to boost the sound on my Digilife HD1080 ..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W11KYDdpFs4&fmt=18
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote