Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:28 AM   #11

Thanks kiyoshi,

I have had this filefront server for years and never used it till now. I think mine is unlimited usage."can't remember"

But, if it isn't. i'll use yours also. I'll check to see if I have any bandwidth restrictions.

If you want to upload any of the files I have to yours go right ahead.

And, Thanks again.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I am very interested in how this compares with the Action HD. I am currently looking for a good replacement camera for my HDV178 that has no major issues such as audio sync etc.

The HDV178 that I currently have, seems to drop frames (which you can see by a slight jump in the video) at regular intervals. I was even thinking of just buying another one as hardly anyone else seems to be reporting this, so maybe I just got a bad one. I never noticed it at the beginning because it doesn't occur in all situations for some reason.

rgvcam,

I'll do some day shotswithtwo cameras. But, I can tell you this. With the testing I have done and I have more I haven't posted. The Action HD can't keep up to the GVS. Younotice the difference the first time you use the 3" LCD and from there on it only gets better.

PS.
I don't work for Aiptek or any resellers.I don't make any money from these cameras at all. I am only testing these so others can make a informed decision when choosing a camera.

Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 12:13 PM   #12

Could you do some daylight shots that have a good amount of red subjects in them? I want to make sure the fluorescent reds we saw on the first sample shots from a GVS were just an abnormality and not the norm!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:07 PM   #13

Will do !! I just came back and got a interesting shot hope it comes out ok doing it free hand and being cold, lol
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:30 PM   #14

rvgcam, as requested here is my RED color test with the GVS.

http://www.vimeo.com/2507965

As you can see the blown out reds have been eliminated.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:16 PM   #15

Maxprime wrote:
Quote:
rvgcam, as requested here is my RED color test with the GVS.

http://www.vimeo.com/2507965

As you can see the blown out reds have been eliminated.
Thanks. The taillight looks good though the other reds do seem to look more vivid than I would have expected. I guess though, that you are best placed for comparisons, in that you can see the original colors!

Any idea as to how long the battery lasts so far?

I had been considering the Canon HF100 for the new year but I really don't want to spend twice as much for something when this might do the job. I much prefer carrying around inexpensive cameras where I go as long as they don't have any major issues.

i was going to ask for a complex shot of vegetation such as trees and foliage to test the detail ability of the slightly improved bitrate but it seems you don't have any at the moment :lol:
Old Dec 12, 2008, 3:50 PM   #16

rgvcam,

The reds were accurately represented. The bright red on my suburban shot near the end is Porsche red with a flamered stripe and that is how it looks in real life. the other reds like on the barn and shed are a maroonish color that is why I stuffed that red cup up in the eve to show the difference and you could get to see green also with the bush in front of it.

I got one more test that is uploading to vimeo atm and it has a surprise. HeHe.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:10 PM   #17

Ok as promised.

I put together one more test between the Action HD GVS and Action HD 1080p.

This is a test to show the diferences in the zoom while outdoors.

http://www.vimeo.com/2510509

Now for the BONUS....

I want to set this up first.

I was standingin the center of a bridge over a stream doing a pretest with the GVS to see how I wanted to do this test and I was just going through the motions.Just as I zoomed upstream. It happened and I just had to be doing the test free handed, no tripod or monopod . :sad:

Watch the video to see what happens next.

http://www.vimeo.com/2510858
Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:28 PM   #18

Some nice video there. You can see the rolling shutter effect on the second video though. The wobble is quite pronounced at full zoom!
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:04 PM   #19

Hello fellow GVS owners, received my cam today, was so excited to put it on charge before heading for work. Came back and Start my testing i go.... Everything all good till about playback. There is a terrible noise in the video, like a hiss, the one that HD experienced but a lot more pronounced, so loud that i can easily hear it 5 inches away from the screen. When you put your ear next to the internal microphone which is right on the screen you hear the same noise. Can't believe that the noise is coming right from the microphone! I was wondering if I got a bad cam and if i should return it/exchange it. Do you have the same noise in your camcorder? (put your ear to the back of the screen and listen to it) Thank you for your help and good luck with your cams!
tripleflip18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2008, 1:49 AM   #20

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Some nice video there. You can see the rolling shutter effect on the second video though. The wobble is quite pronounced at full zoom!

Thanks, Yeah infact if it wasn't for that buck just popping into frame I wouldn't even used it.

the wobble was really caused by having the stabilization on and I was not really watching what I was doing.I had a camera in each hand and was just looking to see how the zoom worked on both cameras with my thumbs. To be honest I really wasn't worrying about being smooth as I was just trying to find a shot that would have as many different contions in one test .

Now, If I was out and shooting for good video I would have using my tripod or my monopole. But if I was. that buck would have never came to the stream.

But, just like any camera. if you are using full zoom and have stabilization on. you better be very very stable or be using a tripod or such.