Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:45 AM   #1

First after reading the first posts of the GVS. I figured i'd be driving to walgreens to return this camera. So, when it came yesterday. I really had to decide if I was going to even open it.

Well, Iam glad I did. To my surprise the first thing I notice is how the video detail looked muched improved than from my Action HD 1080p camera. So, at that point I check the BitRate and yes Aiptek had increased the bitrate on the GVS.

Action HD 1080 30fps: 7.54 mbits/sec

Action HD GVS 1080 30fps:8.02 mbits/sec

Action HD 720 60fps: 6.04 mbits/sec

Action HD GVS 720 60fps: 6.39 mbits/sec

Just with this little increase the picture quality really has improved.

Ok. I compiled some quick tests I did with the GVS last night at work till the battery died. The tests comprise of serveral things .

1. internal mic sound test (no external ,spend $5 dollars in batteries to find my mic was bad,lol)

2. color

3. Low light w/wo Night Shot

4. Auto focus

5. focus lock and macro

Here is the videoI put together of those tests. The video's only editing is trimming the length (aka. bloopers) and adding titles.

http://www.vimeo.com/2481400

Now, what I have found.

I notice the macro mode works differently in the GVS than it did from the Action HD 1080p. When you toggle it, it no longer zooms in to a certain point for macro mode.

Also, I don't know if thesoftware in the camera is messed up. But, when Ichange the EV settings (+2 +1 0-1 -2) it makes no difference that I can see at all. I'll be calling Aiptek today about this.

With that said, when you enable Night Shot it no longer takes the performace hit as it did with the Action HD 1080p. I'm guessing they used a improved sensor or chip in the camera .

I also notice that when you record at
[email protected]fps.It seemed faster. Just before the battery died I was looking at the road and noticed that passing cars looked smoother and not choppy like with the Action HD 1080p.

And the huge 3" LCD screen (compaired to the Action HD 1080p) is and nice improvement.

All in all I'm really surprised about this camera. It's better than I expected and even though I really like my Action HD 1080p I find myself liking this one better. I do have some grips about the GVS though.

1. need a new battery door ASAPto use the 1800 battery

2. little strange holding the camera. still not as comfortable as I would like.

3. The tripod mounting is moved to the back of the camera.

Well, that will conclude the first day of testing and more will come just as soon as my battery is charged.

Best Regards,

Maxprime

Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:44 AM   #2

The sound recording is as good as one can expect from a micro hybrid, but one is still fighting hiss with virtually all of these tiny cameras.

The most interesting test -- for me -- would be to plug a high quality shotgun microphone into the external microphone input of the camera. Confirm whether there's "bleed" of the audio from the onboard microphone onto the external microphone recording.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:40 AM   #3

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
The sound recording is as good as one can expect from a micro hybrid, but one is still fighting hiss with virtually all of these tiny cameras.

The most interesting test -- for me -- would be to plug a high quality shotgun microphone into the external microphone input of the camera. Confirm whether there's "bleed" of the audio from the onboard microphone onto the external microphone recording.
Well, I did try to do that for you. But, unfortunatally after buying batteries for my shotgun mic I found it was bad, lol. I used to use it with my sony and canon cams.

I guess i'll need to order a new one now.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:03 PM   #4

Ok, just got off the phone with Aiptek about the EV settings and was told that they are very slight, I guess compaired to the action HD 1080p.:roll: Infact so slight I guess they are not very noticable.Hmm.....I was told that there hasn't been any calls about that not working.

I also commented about the mic hiss and was told they would sent a email to engineering in taiwan about this. :roll:

Also, I was told not to use a adjustable mic with the GVS.

Well, I did all I could. I guess i'llsend mylist of problems to the taiwan support now.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:46 PM   #5

i am so glad someone is giving such a thorough review of this model

i was worried that the GVS would be horrible in low light, and that the A-HD would be far superior in low light situations

it seems this is not the case

i like your standardized tests that explain what is going on and try to do multiple tests in one video

it would be awesome if someone rich could buy every version of every hybrid and subject them to identical, methodical testing in standardized manner

if anyone needs hosting to post your video clips, i have a lot and can give you all the username/password

you wont have to wait in line to download anything

if i dont check back here, myspace.com/kiyoshi i check every day

i think ill be getting a GVS now!
kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:51 PM   #6

I don't know whyMaxprime and many others can't see the difference on theGVS. I tried the EV setting from +2 to -2, andthe effects are very effective.Please feel free and check out the videoI upload onto the Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azb09evv1Jw

ch999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:28 AM   #7

Your lucky . I watched your video and that is how it should work. Mine on the other hand has no effect at all in video mode. Mine only works with stills.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 6:39 AM   #8

Ok, hereare more low light tests with the GVS.

The firsttest is indoors with no other lighting other than a 75 watt bulb in a exhaust hood above a stove. The camera is about 10' away from the light source.

Night shot is enabled .

Note: all video testsare 100% untouched

This is a picture I took with my fuji camera to show what the lighting looked like. I made the camera not fix the lighting and used no flash. It was that dark.

Video of thetest http://www.vimeo.com/2503731

Ok, this test compairs the Action HD GVS and the Action HD 1080p in low light, sound recording and video stabilization. (GVS model)

Both cameras were recording at the same time and were recording freehand to test video stabilization at 1280x720 @ 60fps.

Download the videos here. http://hosted.filefront.com/maxprime/

I think the GVS's video is much clearer than the 1080p's and there is quite a sound difference between the 2 cameras.

Well, I'd like to have tested it some more tonight. But, freezing rain was coming.

Old Dec 12, 2008, 8:56 AM   #9

thank you SO MUCH for your testing

if it wasn't for your thorough, calculated approach to testing these newer models, there would be practically no real data to help us get an inside look to the Pros and Cons of these new models

if the GVS low light is not quite as good, i don't think that should stop people from getting the GVS. you can spend 10-50 bucks and get these insane LED light attachments. as in, it's not just 2 or 3 leds, but 16 or even 25... they attach to the bottom and seem to work fairly well.

the night mode already seems decent with the GVS.

if you need to host files, you are more than welcome to use FTP here:

server: kiyoshi.startlogic.com
username: kiyoshiguest
password: password1

you can upload anything here and it will show up here:
www.kiyoshi.cc/kiyoshiguest/

there's unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth. it would be great if people could use this upload their large, raw files. it would make them available for direct-download and with no waiting

kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:08 AM   #10

I am very interested in how this compares with the Action HD. I am currently looking for a good replacement camera for my HDV178 that has no major issues such as audio sync etc.

The HDV178 that I currently have, seems to drop frames (which you can see by a slight jump in the video) at regular intervals. I was even thinking of just buying another one as hardly anyone else seems to be reporting this, so maybe I just got a bad one. I never noticed it at the beginning because it doesn't occur in all situations for some reason.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote