Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 4, 2009, 4:22 AM   #121

http://vimeo.com/3462647

drive
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:24 PM   #122

Hi, if you have not purchased either at this point I would go with the Aiptek GVS for better video performance. I own both. The DXG takes great video as well but the 1080P mode there are issues with focus hunting if you're trying to follow fast moving objects and are zoomed in. I know that's why there is a 720P 60FPS mode but 1080P looks much sharper. The GVS maintains it's focus better and focuses faster. The Aiptek GVS zoom is much faster and quieter, with the DXG you can hear the zoom go in and out and plus it loses a little focus while you are zooming. I also like the pistol grip better with the GVS as opposed to the "telephone handset" grip, easier to keep your arm still. GVS is easier to carry around, can fit in your back pocket, also comes with more accessories like tripod and remote. Only advantage DXG-595v has is that it has an LED light which is bit better for still picks in low light, doesn't help with video, neither are very good in low light. Let me know if you have any questions.
HDfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:04 AM   #123

As I am on a returned Tour, Here are two videos that was made last year. Weather was wet, nad winter time, this time around temps Hit 60 plus if lucky at locations.

I thought what better way to film with the GVS, fw 2302, and 2402.

http://vimeo.com/3524657

links are of the sanyo exacti HD700

http://vimeo.com/813017 Bunker Hill

http://vimeo.com/827679 Ole Iron side,

Link will be of the GVS http://vimeo.com/3524657

As I filmed, I noticed with a 12vdc plugged in the LCD SCREEN stayed to the fullest lit level, while, on 3.6vdc the level dropped down.

I am pleased at times when the camcorder did its job, but am very unpleased when at times, the cam said "CARD PROTECT" forcing to figure out the problem. WHen card protect flashed on, not allowing you to film, you must remove card, shut down cam, replace in and turn on cam to get it to work. This occures time to time.

I am also unleased again with a"LOW BATTERY" icon not allowing the cam to film, this happened. one time-three times. Had to wait a few secs, 3-5 secs in order to capture video. causing to miss precious moments.

I am also again unpleased, when filming and thinking I have snapped a video shot and thinking I captured, when viewing ,later finding it M.I.A. not there

When you hit record, and end it one now must make sure they start 5 secs earlier, and end it 5 secs later. because somehow the cam seems not to capture the whole video, it will or isnot accurate. a leason to learn film longer edit later.

As I started my video, all my outdoor scenes were fine. I snapped a few shots of Bunker hill

FW 2302

FW 2402

Decide what Pic looks best to you,

AS video goes inside, you'll see the indoor Statue is clearly Visable, As heading into the Monument, I can see where I am going, I can hear if some one is ahead. but I have no idea why, the cam failed to do its Job.

As last time the Sanny was set to Auto, Above video link. you can countthe steps, see the step number, the blocked wall, etc. Here in the GVS pitch blackness.

As on the Constitution, it can be said thesame. the TOur was much better, more exciting, while it seemed the GVS just brought a Bad carma to the day.

Again if this was my vacation, and had only onetime to capture my moments, I am unsure what I can say

I remember saying this

"THIS IS A PC LOW BUDGET ECONOMY OUTDOOR CAMCORDER"

on that note will continue the fun............

Old Mar 8, 2009, 2:05 PM   #124

Hi Steve:

Thanks for posting the review of the Aiptek GVS - it helped me decide to buy the camera.

However, I've got conerns about being able to edit the footage and particularly about keeping audio sync.

There's a good link here about editing Aiptek HD footage on a PC in Sony Vegas Pro 8 here:

http://amediaprof.com/content/index....&Itemid=27

I tried this, and it seemed to work, but I made a mistake with the audio. I'll try it again today and post the results.

My particular application is very technical. I'm developing a motion capture system, and it requires 12-16 cameras to work properly. You can understand why I'd want cheaper camcorders. However, the application has very tight technical requirements on a camera, so I'm evaluating the Aiptek GVS. I have a yahoo group at http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/motioncapture/ with details for the mega-curious.

At this particular point in time, everything is ok, but there is one area that might be a problem.

I've got a couple of synchronization calibration units. One of these is a standard SMPTE timecode generator used for film and video applications. It generates an audio signal in drop-frame and non-dropframe modes. The other calibration unit I have is a visual module that is filmed and displays a coded sequence of led's that count off in seconds, frames, and miliseconds. Cheaper camcorders can't be lock-synched, so I use this technique to verify the camera synchronization. The basic idea is that there are 3 clocks (SMPTE, camcorder, and LED counter) which will differ by an offset. Theoretically, these 3 clocks can drift, but in practice this isn't an issue for video length time periods.

When I use the synchronization hardware on consumer HD camcorders, the timing of the camcorder is seen to be extremely accurate. However, it seems like the Aiptek has very sloppy timing between frames. It makes sense that the HD camcorders are very accurate since the timestamp that goes on the DV/HDV tape is the basis for the display of the video. However, there is a disconnect between the recording and display of Aiptek HD video because a different computer is always used for playing the video an that computer determines the timing of the display.

So, I have a few more experiments to perform on the Aiptek GVS before I can share them here, but here's a preliminary result:

1) the 1080/30p timing seems to be ok, but my equipment can't differentiate at 30fps, and this would require computer programming to resolve the question.

2) I'm primarigy interested in 720/60f, and this is the rate that seems to have the sloppiness. If the timing were precise, I would be able to see each frame taking 16 and 1/6 ms, but I've seen values ranging from 15-22ms. For web video applications, this isn't a big deal at all, but it's a show stopper for my application.

I'm hoping to have a more definitive test today, and I'll post the results here.

Still, it is a fun little camcorder for casual use,

Michael

nofarb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:34 PM   #125

Hi folks:

I've verified that my preliminary results about the sloppiness of the frame timing for this camera. Unfortunately, it's a showstopper for my particular application, and I'm going back to the Canon HG10's instead.

Still, I'll shoot with the camera at my next motioncapture session just to see if it proves me wrong.

Laters,

Michael
nofarb17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:49 PM   #126

it will be very hard to compare such a higher end model to a lower budget cam.

I think more of a Point-n-shoot model comparison be fair not afull manual model. for example dxg 596 vs GVS. but hey anything goes

nofarb17 wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks:

I've verified that my preliminary results about the sloppiness of the frame timing for this camera. Unfortunately, it's a showstopper for my particular application, and I'm going back to the Canon HG10's instead.

Still, I'll shoot with the camera at my next motioncapture session just to see if it proves me wrong.

Laters,

Michael
Old Mar 11, 2009, 8:11 AM   #127

Hi
I need to buy a camcorder for a project. I will be shooting green screens (Chroma key) videos for later computer edition.

I have read all your wonderfull review and watched many videos, I have seen as you have repeated several times that this is a great outdoor daylight camcorder.

But do you think it can work for me for green screen (Chroma key) videos?
Taking note that for these videos the indoor LIGHT wont be an issue as I will prepare a very lighted room for this purpose. And most of the time a tripod would be used.

Another question... If the above is yes... recommend good (and cheap) microphones cord and wireless ones.

My plan is for online video like one talent commenting news, and interviews for a website.

In case of NO, any other camcorder in that price range that for doing this green screen (Chroma key) videos just work?

Thanks in advanced.
engelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:35 AM   #128

Welcome aboard Engelsol....

the GVS has no manual controls of WhiteBalance, thus creating any chroma key harder, needing a prpoer white paper to calibrate the camcorder, and restting after shut down. Lighting lets see 1 light, two light, three light four, almost sounds like "HOT PATATOE........

you're in a room that requires enough light and how much would be enough, all depend on the daylight or night time.

Mic wire, or wireless Mic. that be your decision, i already shown me using a simple 25 plus foot rca tri cable and a el cheapo mic

The GVS may or may not work, and for me to demo, I did this with "PROJECT BLUE" for Win moviemakersforums.net had a great time

I used the Casio exslim v7. enjoy

engelsol wrote:
Quote:
Hi
I need to buy a camcorder for a project. I will be shooting green screens (Chroma key) videos for later computer edition.

I have read all your wonderfull review and watched many videos, I have seen as you have repeated several times that this is a great outdoor daylight camcorder.

But do you think it can work for me for green screen (Chroma key) videos?
Taking note that for these videos the indoor LIGHT wont be an issue as I will prepare a very lighted room for this purpose. And most of the time a tripod would be used.

Another question... If the above is yes... recommend good (and cheap) microphones cord and wireless ones.

My plan is for online video like one talent commenting news, and interviews for a website.

In case of NO, any other camcorder in that price range that for doing this green screen (Chroma key) videos just work?

Thanks in advanced.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 11:06 AM   #129

Thanks fishycomics

Any cheap MiniDV or Flash Memory camcorder that anyone can recommend for shooting green screen videos and have external microphone?

And asuming the lighting won't be a problem. My budget is 300 US$

I just need an aceptable footage. After that I can correct things via software.

Until now I am going with the Canon MiniDV ZR930, what you think?

I have seen video tests better for that Canon camera than for the Aiptek HD GVS at Youtube and it has the external mic and one can control the white balance as I see.

engelsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 11:51 AM   #130

i've got a z700 with the firmwareversion 2100. With my cam the EIS does not work vvery well . The other resolutions without EIS are only to be used with a tripod, otherwise the pictures are trembling too much. Is there any improvement with the newer firmware versions?
Is it right, that i have to use the 2302, when i want to keep the macro wideangle trick?
greetings from germany
markusmatthias
markusmatthias is offline   Reply With Quote