Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:22 AM   #11

Hi,

I am afraid that's the best you are going to get from this camera. I am mostly dissapointed with the advertised stabilizer.

rwcheng
rwcheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:32 PM   #12

To me it looks like the camera might have been on the wvga resolution or when you edited it, maybe you had it on med. quality for the output?

If you are at wide to mid angle zoom the stabilization works pretty good. But, if you zoom from mid to full zoom you better be very steady or on a tripod.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:03 PM   #13

I think main problem is camera man or woman in this case, who is shaking camera violenty and doesn't understand how this kind of small camera should be handeled, it should be used even more steady than bigger camcorders with OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer). Violent camera movements increases out of focus and rolling shutter problems in CMOS cameras. I have also seen very bad footage shot with even more expensive camcorders from user who just doesn't know how to take video, I think this is user problem nothing more or less, teach your mom how to take good video. Don't shake the camera, keep it as steady as you can, try to be smooth in your movements. Use tripod or anykind of support you can when filming, especially at low light conditions. If you decide to return your camera pay attention that your next camcorder has good OIS (Optical Image Stabilizer) Panasonic and Canon camcorders have good optical image stabilizers in their camcorders. It really compensates a lot of that shaky movement.

rebeccafp wrote:
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGY6ces-Vw
http://www.vimeo.com/2696402

My mom took this video of me during a game I played during a time out at a basketball game. Since it was at the basketball court, the lighting was very ample, but my video seems inferior to other samples I've seen with the Aiptek Action GVS model.

Does this seem unique to my camera? Am I using it improperly, (I believe the settings were default) or should it be this grainy (or unclear... whatever the word is. It bothers me that people's faces aren't clear and everything is "boxy"?)

I still have a little bit of time left before I can't return it anymore. If this is typical video quality, is it worth $200? (Simple yes/no?)
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 4:40 PM   #14

Yes.

the video is perfect.

the zoom. you can go into ZOOM from 0x to 5x for optical, and the Gyro stab sys works fine in perfect order. If your hands are steady and you cut the panning to a minimum you will never know if stabilization is on/off

Digital zoom from 5x to full , and let me try my best to explain.

the gyro stab sys starts to break down., and becomes very shaky, even the Zoom meter will flutuate , it is best to always:

lean, camera to body and ams close. or tripod.

I am going to do a test on this as others who do not own, or mention about on/off stab.

he video quality from Vimeo nothing wrong. plenty of gas lighting, an Filmer just needed to get all the action in to a small screen. the lens is not wide enough and causes isues to some.

rebeccafp wrote:
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GGY6ces-Vw
http://www.vimeo.com/2696402

My mom took this video of me during a game I played during a time out at a basketball game. Since it was at the basketball court, the lighting was very ample, but my video seems inferior to other samples I've seen with the Aiptek Action GVS model.

Does this seem unique to my camera? Am I using it improperly, (I believe the settings were default) or should it be this grainy (or unclear... whatever the word is. It bothers me that people's faces aren't clear and everything is "boxy"?)

I still have a little bit of time left before I can't return it anymore. If this is typical video quality, is it worth $200? (Simple yes/no?)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 5:29 PM   #15

Analysis and footage improvements

There are many GVS threads, and I haven't kept up with them. I managed to review the macro, target, low light GVS footage a bit more again (from some thread). The biggest problem is that it is way overexposed (plus red) but looks better than the 600 footage. I turned down the brightness on my monitor and it came much better, more like the AHD series with more contrast and color, try it.

Balance is off, in particular red (I forget, maybe also yellow) though turning brightness down helps the red a bit.

I suspect exposure might have been set in response to people requesting more brightness. Trying different white balance settings and putting exposure lower may solve to some extent.

It is clear that there is overexposure in skies, a sad, sad, artifact of something strange (see pure Bayer color mask vs others comments elsewhere). There is another factor that could be involved, some form of dual slope technology setup. However, we have seem such before from the old HD1 CCD camera. Has anybody determined what the sensor is from the bios/config menu?

On the HSHD footage (which has number of color balance exposure issues too) it handle bright areas much better, which is to be expected with the bigger sensor pads and non clipping. The Kodak Zi6 may have the same sensor, and I have seen footage where it seems to suddenly clip brightness into white blobs.

In 720, I think the HSHD could be made to beat the GVS 720p in many situations.

I can't say much else as it is in 720p30.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:51 PM   #16

http://vimeo.com/2708352

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6eLB-wMsQ0

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/=c6eLB-wMsQ0[/flash]

The stabilization video is made.

I found that with me. my Pulse is strong enough to cause my video footage to shake. I has taken a number of shots, and it is not the Hybrid at all.

It is best to use ONLY 5X optical zoom, and no more, unless a tripod is used.

SLOW panning is the key to better shots.

Most cameras show a HAND shake as Stabilizer is in the "ON" position, Aiptek does the Opposite. they have a multi hybrid here andleft out stabilization for Pictures.

It is a feature we need to get used to every company differs in ways.

When testing out the cam I thought I noticed the stabilizer working it may be posabble, keen eyes can see this. there are ups/downs. and since i already am a Owner, I am getting more and more to the conclusion of my review. Thank you

Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:31 AM   #17

I didn't edit it, it's the raw file. I'm not sure the stabilization works with 720 p, by the way, which is default. At any rate, I don't notice much of a difference with or without it anyway. I do agree that my mom is pretty shaky, but it gets less shaky as the video goes on and I don't think even my face is very clear.
rebeccafp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 7:48 AM   #18

if it's online its not an orginal. it's modified. So one must Download the file, for the file.

In the manual it clearly states what resolutions are not stabilized HD 1080P 30 fps, 720P 30 fps, only TWO are stabilized and they are the 60 fps WVGA, and 720P 60 fps. FYI the Stills are Enabled to.

The Hand is up with a Corcle/line by the last finger, that is the off postion.

The Hand and (( hand )) is the on position, which is supposed to be the correct way here.

it is a Poor design.

The problem is, you can be recording andswitch off the Stab, and have to reset it to be on. When you'retaking a still shot thecamera is telling you the stabilization is on because you DO NOT HAVE THE OFF ICON showing?

This is a PC HYbrid Low budget cam. g reat for daylight outdoor shots.

Not a Home theatre pro device

rebeccafp wrote:

Quote:
I didn't edit it, it's the raw file. I'm not sure the stabilization works with 720 p, by the way, which is default. At any rate, I don't notice much of a difference with or without it anyway. I do agree that my mom is pretty shaky, but it gets less shaky as the video goes on and I don't think even my face is very clear.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:10 AM   #19

As we found out the Hybrid has a wider angle in video modes, cannot say for stills.

GVS

8 feet from the cam gives you different angles

1920x108030f 3 feet Height x 5 feet width

1280x720 60f 3 1/2 feet height x 6 feet width

1280x720 30f 4 feet height x 6 1/2 feet width

848x.480 60f3/12 feet width x 6 feet height

Simular results goes for the Action Hd as well.

Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:54 PM   #20

Ext mic test review. video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXr3L09DPbM

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/lXr3L09DPbM[/flash]

http://vimeo.com/2717238raw footage.

I used three mics, all low budgets, and pleased with my results. A wireless mic and you're set.

I used a wired mic cord 50 feet plus with a variable control to lower the sound if needed. If 5 feet, or 500 feet, the job can now get done, that is why a wireless will conclude the test.

There are options open here. setting up a room with seperate mics, you name it.

I demo'ed inside the same test, and felt i got better results outdoors with lighting.

Focus hunting occurs minimal, could have locked it, but wanting to get the job done.

Talking in a soft natural voice, I sound loud, and all is perfect if asked. editing takes care of sound, asking Aiptek to lower , will only degrade a unit that is fine.

Home theatre pro device this is not, a PC hybrid Low budget daytime this is.

video res, or voice recorder. all are the same so no need for other format testing.

any comments and questions are always welcomed. owners know the quality. those who are looking to purchase will need to decide. thank you