Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:16 PM   #21

Thanks Fishy for the details on this camera. I decided to join here to follow this thread.

I really like the camera (now that there is mic input), but one last "problem/issue" is the hunting focus, as shown in the latest test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXr3L09DPbM

I'm looking at the PDF documentation ( http://www.goaiptek.com/manuals/manual-agvs.pdf) and noticed there is an "AF Lock". I was wondering if you could comment on it, does it work well?

99% of my stuff that I do is"talking head" stuff, so locking the focus would work for me. (I just can't have the forward/backward zoom in/out stuff it does on the sample video listed above.)

Thanks.
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:04 AM   #22

THeSkillionaire,
Yes. The AF lock works . Turn it on and it locks the focus.

Fishy, You know when we first seen then the z600 and GVS camera I thoughtAiptek put themic inputin the wrong place on the camera. But after using it I have changed my mind about that.

Your test aswith mine. I notice theplacement of theexternal mic input is in a perfect location. Because, where it is located. The camera itself helps block the mic from the wind. I put a small windscreen on the hand3 mic from a old xbox headset and in decently strong wind I didn't get wind noise when recording.

So, I wonder if aiptek thought of that or it was just dumb luck, hehe.

Also, I think the hand3 has alittle better sound than the GE and target doesn't handle the GE anymore. Atleast on thier website.But, Sam's club does.

I also found a better case than the unibag one for the GVS at circuit city.

It comes with a tabletop tripod which holds the camera better than the one Aiptek packages with the GVS. The case is actually made for the angle barrel vertical camcorders and when you have it on your belt instead of the camera being vertical like with the aiptek unibag it holds the camera horizontally.What's nice is that since it was made for that angled barrel camera it doesn't pop the lens cap off like the unibag does when wearing it.

In the instructions. It shows to have the tripod mounted to the bottom of the camera. But, I didn't like it so I left it off. The tripod when in the closed position is flat and 5/8 of a inch thick and easily fits in a pocket.

Anyhow it's $19.99 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sima-Wrap-Pod-for-Vertical-Pocket-Camcorders-SWP08/sem/rpsm/oid/223398/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I did try this with the Action HD 1080p. But, since it isn't a angle barrel it didn't fit very well. With that style of camera I wouldn't suggest this case for it.
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:50 AM   #23

Welcome aboard Theskillion........

Lol that video clip isall about External mic, and i thank you for pointing out the in/out it is to a minimal, reason you are seeing it:

I mention right at the beginning thie video footage ... 5x optical zoom. when I was in the zoom, the camera is not focusing on the object at 5x optical, and that caused the hunting, I am positive on that.

GVS does not need to have AF lock on, and as others are asking OFFTOPIC questions (not minding), read in the comments.

A video will have to be made.

when using the AF lock you can set it up,, once the zoom is touched it isenabled. and needs resetting.

The manual orE-manual. LOL too basic.

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Fishy for the details on this camera. I decided to join here to follow this thread.

I really like the camera (now that there is mic input), but one last "problem/issue" is the hunting focus, as shown in the latest test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXr3L09DPbM

I'm looking at the PDF documentation ( http://www.goaiptek.com/manuals/manual-agvs.pdf ) and noticed there is an "AF Lock". I was wondering if you could comment on it, does it work well?

99% of my stuff that I do is"talking head" stuff, so locking the focus would work for me. (I just can't have the forward/backward zoom in/out stuff it does on the sample video listed above.)

Thanks.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:54 AM   #24

Yes the Mic is in a good spot. and I bet they made the mistake.

yes t he bagwill pop the lens off, thelenscan be shaved down a lil but not touching it. I shaved the other one for the magnetic ring, find that it fits better in ways not sure if the lens always comes off, but it will anyway LOL.

The Ext mic test thank you with both I am sure there will be more, and it is a decision one needs to make. thanks again.

Maxprime wrote:
Quote:

Fishy, You know when we first seen then the z600 and GVS camera I thoughtAiptek put themic inputin the wrong place on the camera. But after using it I have changed my mind about that.

Your test aswith mine. I notice theplacement of theexternal mic input is in a perfect location. Because, where it is located. The camera itself helps block the mic from the wind. I put a small windscreen on the hand3 mic from a old xbox headset and in decently strong wind I didn't get wind noise when recording.

So, I wonder if aiptek thought of that or it was just dumb luck, hehe.

Also, I think the hand3 has alittle better sound than the GE and target doesn't handle the GE anymore. Atleast on thier website.But, Sam's club does.

I also found a better case than the unibag one for the GVS at circuit city.

It comes with a tabletop tripod which holds the camera better than the one Aiptek packages with the GVS. The case is actually made for the angle barrel vertical camcorders and when you have it on your belt instead of the camera being vertical like with the aiptek unibag it holds the camera horizontally.What's nice is that since it was made for that angled barrel camera it doesn't pop the lens cap off like the unibag does when wearing it.

In the instructions. It shows to have the tripod mounted to the bottom of the camera. But, I didn't like it so I left it off. The tripod when in the closed position is flat and 5/8 of a inch thick and easily fits in a pocket.

Anyhow it's $19.99 http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sima-Wrap-Pod-for-Vertical-Pocket-Camcorders-SWP08/sem/rpsm/oid/223398/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I did try this with the Action HD 1080p. But, since it isn't a angle barrel it didn't fit very well. With that style of camera I wouldn't suggest this case for it.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 1:34 PM   #25

Well today I thought I film DVD 848x480 res. and a few shots as well in AF lock so I am my last stop, taking some fresh air in. and hmm

What I noticed when taking the Af lock one was the icon.

In the PIc this the ON position of AF LOCK

in the Pic this is the OFF postion of Anti shake

There are no on/of of AF lock nor anti shake. a very Piss poor design if asked.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 3:52 PM   #26

I'm a Dad as well in the same situation. I've also noticed that EV adjustments during video had no effect. One time I thought it did but I can't tell for sure (I might have had the night mode on). I really like the video quality but I've also had concerns about the audio. I have experienced and seen some comments on the web abouthow bad and frequent the audio will clip or distort with sounds louder than casual conversation. I bought the $10 boom mic from Target with the smalldetachable stereo mic and, when plugged in to theGVS, clips even worse. I read a particular blog from a guy who apparently is a sound engineer. He tested the external mic jack with high-end mics at various amplitudes and concluded thatthe ext michad severe clipping issues. However, I saw a recent video from fishycomics on vimeo yesterday. He tested several mics and they all sounded decent without clipping. I also read something about a firmware upgrade for another 1080 model that supposedly decreased the mic gain to -6. Apparently there is no firmware update for the GVS. I've emailed the company.
syoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:19 PM   #27

Welcome aboard Syoung...

I see nothing wrong with the sound. showing three mics or a hundred,....

syoung wrote:
Quote:
I'm a Dad as well in the same situation. I've also noticed that EV adjustments during video had no effect. One time I thought it did but I can't tell for sure (I might have had the night mode on). I really like the video quality but I've also had concerns about the audio. I have experienced and seen some comments on the web abouthow bad and frequent the audio will clip or distort with sounds louder than casual conversation. I bought the $10 boom mic from Target with the smalldetachable stereo mic and, when plugged in to theGVS, clips even worse. I read a particular blog from a guy who apparently is a sound engineer. He tested the external mic jack with high-end mics at various amplitudes and concluded thatthe ext michad severe clipping issues. However, I saw a recent video from fishycomics on vimeo yesterday. He tested several mics and they all sounded decent without clipping. I also read something about a firmware upgrade for another 1080 model that supposedly decreased the mic gain to -6. Apparently there is no firmware update for the GVS. I've emailed the company.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:25 PM   #28

http://vimeo.com/2731701

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRPWyKYbulM

this is a 8 minutevideo showing 848x640. modified for online and can be downloaded in videos page.

further testing for AF lock is needed, while you se some pann zoom etc nigh t morning and daytime. Sound was not touched you have angle shots for rolling shutter, driving scenes wind, water . lights . so that said thank you

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:10 AM   #29

Thanks for the replies guys and especially to Fishy for the 848x640 example.

Like I said in my previous post, most of my stuff is "talking head" or interview sort of stuff, so I thought, all I need is one of the "pocket cameras" and one that does better than 640 x 480 but not in HD, as my final output will be 720 x 480 (DVD). (There are not many options out there at all, let alone with a mic input for good voice recording.)

So, I figured 848x640 going down to 720 x 480 is quicker than doing something like 1280x720 going down to 720 x 480 (and not to mention 60fps down to 30/29.97fps). What I have found taking Fishy's 848x640 example and converting it using a few converters and a few different formats (AVI, MOV) it 848x640, still takes quite a long time, pretty much like I was using a video of 1280x720 size.

A thought just popped into my head, would it be better (faster) to upscale 640x480 to 720x480? (This would of course mean that I would need a different camera besides the GVS, but then this brings back in the issue of no mic input.)(I have considered using external recording such as edirol, etc. and then syncing up voice, etc. But the whole object is to eliminate steps and time. Eliminate conversion time, recording time, syncing time, etc.)

End setup:

3 cameras (One on me the host, one on the person I am interviewing, one on both of us.)

2 Mics (join both mic audio together and send to each camera mic input.)

Enough lights to make thevideo look good.

Comments/Thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. What I do like about Aiptek is charging from anywhere, 32 SDHC card capability, good standard battery.

P.S.S. Where can the GVS be purchased? Amazon is waiting for them. (I like that Amazon has a liberl return polidy, if needed.)
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:51 AM   #30

on the spur that was made. the video.

keeping to the topic, the Video can be downgraded, but upgrading may start to lose the quality. look at walgreens 199.99 30 day return tax charged.

modifying a lower model with plugin mic.

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys and especially to Fishy for the 848x640 example.

Like I said in my previous post, most of my stuff is "talking head" or interview sort of stuff, so I thought, all I need is one of the "pocket cameras" and one that does better than 640 x 480 but not in HD, as my final output will be 720 x 480 (DVD). (There are not many options out there at all, let alone with a mic input for good voice recording.)

So, I figured 848x640 going down to 720 x 480 is quicker than doing something like 1280x720 going down to 720 x 480 (and not to mention 60fps down to 30/29.97fps). What I have found taking Fishy's 848x640 example and converting it using a few converters and a few different formats (AVI, MOV) it 848x640, still takes quite a long time, pretty much like I was using a video of 1280x720 size.

A thought just popped into my head, would it be better (faster) to upscale 640x480 to 720x480? (This would of course mean that I would need a different camera besides the GVS, but then this brings back in the issue of no mic input.)(I have considered using external recording such as edirol, etc. and then syncing up voice, etc. But the whole object is to eliminate steps and time. Eliminate conversion time, recording time, syncing time, etc.)

End setup:

3 cameras (One on me the host, one on the person I am interviewing, one on both of us.)

2 Mics (join both mic audio together and send to each camera mic input.)

Enough lights to make thevideo look good.

Comments/Thoughts?

Thanks

P.S. What I do like about Aiptek is charging from anywhere, 32 SDHC card capability, good standard battery.

P.S.S. Where can the GVS be purchased? Amazon is waiting for them. (I like that Amazon has a liberl return polidy, if needed.)