Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 25, 2009, 8:34 PM   #361

Well I took the camera out to the flying field today to experiment shooting some RC planes. Not having an eyepiece makes it EXTREMELY difficult to keep the planes in the center of the shot.

Also, typically when I film planes with regular camcorders I set the focus at infinity otherwise the autofocus is continually hunting.

I did try a few with the AF turned off but it didn't go well.

It's so hard to find HD camcorders with eyepieces. I have my eye on the Panasonic HS250 but it's about $750.00

I still say there's something wrong with my camera because in several areas of the clip you can see a "flickering" like the white balance isn't working or something. Any thoughts?

Anyways, here is the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-fivhFTWEo

Last edited by HD Newbie; May 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM.
HD Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:08 PM   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Newbie View Post
Well I took the camera out to the flying field today to experiment shooting some RC planes. Not having an eyepiece makes it EXTREMELY difficult to keep the planes in the center of the shot.

Also, typically when I film planes with regular camcorders I set the focus at infinity otherwise the autofocus is continually hunting.

I did try a few with the AF turned off but it didn't go well.

It's so hard to find HD camcorders with eyepieces. I have my eye on the Panasonic HS250 but it's about $750.00

I still say there's something wrong with my camera because in several areas of the clip you can see a "flickering" like the white balance isn't working or something. Any thoughts?

Anyways, here is the video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-fivhFTWEo
cool vid, isnt it funny how people always start talking to ya when your taping
chrisolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 12:10 AM   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
no problem. I am loading up the actual footage , and a slower one just for you, on youtube. so you can see how easy it is to do. enjoy and DO NT FOLLOW my footsteps will be in the same video link and as a video response

actual footage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7zA0Up8VmA

slower and clearer version for you slow ones there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDENnQrzp9k
I was right. There are indeed a lot of interesting goodies in the firmware submenus for a nerd like myself to tinker with.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 1:55 AM   #364

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjock View Post
I was right. There are indeed a lot of interesting goodies in the firmware submenus for a nerd like myself to tinker with.
let us know if that webcam mode works, i wanted to try it but i was nervous about messing with it
chrisolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 2:36 AM   #365

I know what you mean. I'm not in a rush to experiment myself. I had to go through three GVS units to finally get one with no dead/stucked pixels and a stronger spring in the LCD hinge. I don't want to go through that process of multi-RMAs again should I screw this one up. But it's good to know that it's in there to be tinkered with sometime.

I wish I have more than one GVS like Fishy.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 4:32 AM   #366

I said it in my vid and I will say it here to. And I'll try to say it in a nice way.

Be warned , if you tamper Pass theBug, test, ambra, mp3 enable, pc cam, and into the factory, and engineer, you'll wind up with issues

so heed my warning

HDnewbie... best you get a RMA, get a new one,
I filmed at nashua ma/NH Rc planes and hada hard time, but I filmed airlines andit was fantastic.

there is no way to turn off AF, just you chose not to use the AF lock
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 9:01 AM   #367

I'm sorry, but what's an "RMA?"

Thanks,
HD Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 12:27 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Newbie View Post
I'm sorry, but what's an "RMA?"

Thanks,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_..._authorization
proletary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 3:20 AM   #369

Just a quick demonstration of what it sounds like when you use an external audio recorder with the Aiptek GVS and then replace the audio track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_yjo8oAXk

Watch in HD for full effect ;-)
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 4:29 AM   #370

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
Just a quick demonstration of what it sounds like when you use an external audio recorder with the Aiptek GVS and then replace the audio track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_yjo8oAXk

Watch in HD for full effect ;-)
Hi Subc,

Nice to see this experiment. It does make a huge difference but that is to be expected. The audio-recorder is made to do just that: record speech.
Technically (however unlikely) the microphones in the GVS and external recorder could be identical. The difference is in the processing of the audio: pre-amp and equalizer settings.
To illustrate this you could try and postprocess the audio from the GVS.
I always do that for any recording from all the camera's that I've owned. Even when digitizing old VHS or HI8 tapes. The results are a dramatic improvement.
I suggest the following steps (since you are able to re-encode audio I'm pretty sure you should be able to easily perform these steps):
1. De-mux the video, re-encode to desired format (preferably PCM WAV).
2. Use audio software to normalize the audio to 80%
3. Create a noise profile from the ambient sound (if digitizing an old tape that means tape hiss) and let the software remove this noise from your recording. try to avoid doing this in scenes at the beach...it will mess up the experience
4. Lift the high frequencies and flatten the mid-frequencies(mids are always very strong in cheap microphones)
5. Normalize to 98%
6. Re-mux or re-sync with video

Maybe you could do a comparison of the two?

Last edited by Crihz; May 28, 2009 at 8:56 AM.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote