Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 1, 2009, 12:02 PM   #401

Has anyone tried using a bigger NP-90 or NP-120 battery in this camera? I know the cover won't fit back on but will it work otherwise? I'm willing to use a rubber band or something to keep the battery in place. I want to pick up some extra batteries before I go on vacation in a few weeks and 1900mah NP-120's cost the same as 1200mah NP-60's on eBay, so if it works I might pick up the NP-120 as a backup emergency battery if the original battery starts to run low.

Anyway, I just got this camera last Friday and have been pretty happy with it so far. It came with fw 2302. I emailed Aiptek to try and get a later firmware but no response so far.
athakur999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:13 PM   #402

np-120's aret he same hmmm? got to look into that I bet I will be able to get one before they send me minefrom aiptek. I asked personally , and where's the hand over head icon

best to grab a spare or two ext batt charger will help. tyhey fit in the 5th pans pocket and not knowing they are there.

I want to try a extended batt, andseewhat the outcome will be, if I have to make my own cover, but Aiptek should have made one BY NOW!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 2:47 PM   #403

I saw some info on NP-120 batteries in this thread:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/hy...s-np-60-a.html

It seems like the NP-120 has the same length and width as the NP-60 but is thicker. I think in theory it'd work, however if I remember right the battery compartment of the GVS has a small "ledge" that one end of the NP-60 battery slides under so that might need to be modified before a thicker NP-120 will fit. I'll take a closer look at the battery compartment when I get home and see how it looks.
athakur999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2009, 3:26 PM   #404

as there is no lip so it will fit as i showtwo bats sitting inside

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:53 PM   #405

Hi guys, from what I've seen so far (I've had both batteries in my hands some time ago I'd have to say this should work. It's just the battery door that needs replacing. You could make one using a vacuum molding technique.
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:42 PM   #406

I put up a link to 2503 thats the one i got directly from aiptek. earlier this week i emailed the guy i talked to on the phone to see if they had come out officially with a newer one and he said no.
I got a great deal on ebay on two batteries and a car/wall charger. they come direct from china but it was less than 14 dollars. If you dont mind the wait, i say dont pay somebody local who marks items up, just order direct. it takes about 10 days but you get a heck of a deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by athakur999 View Post
Has anyone tried using a bigger NP-90 or NP-120 battery in this camera? I know the cover won't fit back on but will it work otherwise? I'm willing to use a rubber band or something to keep the battery in place. I want to pick up some extra batteries before I go on vacation in a few weeks and 1900mah NP-120's cost the same as 1200mah NP-60's on eBay, so if it works I might pick up the NP-120 as a backup emergency battery if the original battery starts to run low.

Anyway, I just got this camera last Friday and have been pretty happy with it so far. It came with fw 2302. I emailed Aiptek to try and get a later firmware but no response so far.
chrisolicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 3:28 AM   #407

the latest fw for theGVS/Z700 is the Fw2703 no updates. or any info from USA
Old Jun 3, 2009, 5:38 AM   #408

I got two NP-60 batteries from calcellular.com for under $7 each as backup; haven't had the need to use them so far. I also got a wall/car charger for under $15 from them. Fortunately, they are local for me and I was able to pick them up.

Last edited by camjock; Jun 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 6:07 AM   #409

The following are videos using 2503. As usual, they were shot with a wide-angle attachment, auto WB and autofocus on and @ 720p-60fps except for night driving which was @ 720p-30fps with nightshot feature on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBYT...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdrCh...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAL3n...eature=channel

I'm going back to 2703 because I think it has better contrast and color saturation.

Here's the setup for the driving clips:
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:59 PM   #410

Hey Camjock,

I must say those night-shots are pretty darn good. What type of wide-angle lens are you using (I'm guessing Phoenix) and why is it that I don't see a whole lot of vignetting in your shots when using this wide-angle add-on?

Nice looking set-up by the way. Did you fab that up yourself or have you bought it like that?
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote