Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 23, 2009, 2:27 PM   #481

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjock View Post
...and a lot of measuring (mm) around the lens ring/opening. A member who PM'd me said that he purchased a Kenko KDV-0628 (28mm) and planned on glueing either a step-up ring or a filter and attach any threaded lens accessory with it. It's an excellent idea. Hopefully, he'll have success with it and be posting the results soon.

As for me, I always want quick and uncomplicated solutions so I can start shooting with it as soon as possible; I taped it up.

Well, that would be me .

I've got the 28mm Kenko and 27mm to 28mm step up converter...but I ran into a problem...the threading of either the Kenko or the step-up converter is of a different type! Meaning it's possible to attach the Kenko to the ring but you can only turn it 270 degrees before it locks in place.
Ofcourse that means the lens is just too far away from the camera, causing vignetting . It would have been perfect as the 27mm side of the step up ring almost fits inside the GVS's "lens". Meaning I'd only have to sand the threads off and glue that sucker in there.....sigh.

So now it's plan B: I'll have to use a UV lens as an adapter for the Kenko.
Ordered one and will let you know the results...
Crihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 3:06 PM   #482

heart......

ifthey give, you get, the denied thegodfather have a nice day

Z700 isa different cam over theGVS..

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:21 PM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartiberlin View Post
@camjock
nice setup.
Did you use an external stereo Mike ?
Did you modify the Mic input connector ?
How ?
Yes, that's a cardioid condenser stereo mic you see on the pics. Since the built in mics are stereo, why would the audio jack be mono? I tried a lav mic (mono) which obviously have a mono plug a while ago and if my memory serves me right, audio was recorded on the left channel only; I had to use a mono to stereo mini plug adapter to record on both channels. But don't take my word for it; you can do this simple experiment yourself to verify it.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:31 PM   #484

X2, its a mono external plug, I dedicated a open wire plug, left only or right only, and confirmed mono left/right sound on playback. I also have confirmation that Aiptek says etention mic cable is unoperationable to the cam no extended length of cable will work, we can say the company is only interested in sales, and will monitor for info they seem to not know about that is obviously overlooked att he labs.
and one example is "THE EXTENAL MIC"

I am no sales person, or a marketeer. so these are only my observations or 2 cents
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:43 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartiberlin View Post
Hi,
what is the latest firmware for the GVS (Z700 ) ?

I still use 2703 but I had to use it recently in low light
at a friendīs birthday party and it was not very good.
The 2503 was much better in low light I think.
Is this right ?
Had not much time to play around lately with the cam.
Many thanks.

P.S: What is the latest info on the Mike input connector ?
Seems Fishy proved it is only Mono.

So how can it be modified to really give stereo input ?
Fishy showed on his latest youtube videos that the internal
mikes behind the display is really a stereo mike.
So how can we get stereo from the mike connector with
a better external stereo microphone ?
Many thanks.
With the 2703, try shooting in the nightshot mode with 720p-30fps and please get back to us if you see any improvement.

To rephrase my response to your other post above, you don't need to adapt or have to do any modification if you hook up a stereo microphone (equipped with a stereo mini plug) to the GVS' audio input jack; it will record in stereo (both channels). Just plug it and play it. However, if you plug in a mono microphone (i.e. lavalier, shotgun, etc.) equipped with a mono mini plug, then you need to use a mono to stereo mini plug adapter to be able to record on both channels; otherwise, it will only record on the left channel. I hope I'm making myself clear this time around.

Last edited by camjock; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 4:24 AM   #486

the GVS is a MONO ext Mic poert, The Z700 is a Different cam.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:10 AM   #487

I own a Z700 and it records both left and right channel with the same signal. So when I plug in a mono mic...I get sound on both channels. When I plug in a stereo mic and speak into one of the two mics...it's recorded on BOTH channels.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:05 AM   #488

I just received the latest Z700 (Euro) firmware: 2802.
Will do some testing ASAP.

Last edited by Crihz; Jun 24, 2009 at 1:29 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:50 PM   #489

Z700 you can say is a Stereo Ext mic, the GVS I can say it is a mono ext mic
if you Pm me the FW i be grateful, as Aiptek.tw refuses , denies the release.

Last edited by fishycomics; Jun 24, 2009 at 3:02 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 2:56 PM   #490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crihz View Post
I own a Z700 and it records both left and right channel with the same signal. So when I plug in a mono mic...I get sound on both channels.
Is your mono mic already wired for a stereo port (i.e. equipped with a stereo mini plug). Some lavalier mics (mono) are equipped (wired) with stereo mini plugs (similar to using a mono to stereo mini plug adapter) to accommodate stereo input ports of modern camcorders but they cannot create a stereo image since there is only a single element. This configuration does record to both channels equally (no stereo imaging) regardless of where the sound source is positioned relative to the mono mic. If not, the other possible explanation is that the Z700 is wired so that it senses a mono mini plug and records a mono signal to both channels. In this image, the top is a stereo plug and the bottom is mono:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jack_plug.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crihz View Post
When I plug in a stereo mic and speak into one of the two mics...it's recorded on BOTH channels.
In a stereo circuitry, the left and right channels are biased to a certain degree to create a stereo image, i.e. some left channel signals bleed off to the right channel and vise versa. Besides, when you were speaking into one of the two mics, how far away was the other mic?

Last edited by camjock; Jun 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM.