Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 12, 2009, 7:01 PM   #41

I had time at the light to roll my window down rest my Arm and firmly snap a shot. I also had time to do the same wit hte Xmax lights.

I even grabbed a quick shot ofa video frame by the mouse.

I hope if you're looking to take the moon, to use a moon filter, but the street lights and surrounding should not be Blurred.

if you're lookingto snap shots, well i'll just leave it like that...........

dissappointed in ways where's the thumbs down icon

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:31 PM   #42

Hi guys!

few weeks ago Ireturned the Action-HD and backordered the GVS which is now in the mail.

After reading all these I noticed that nobody mentioned anything about recording via the composite AV port... I went on Aiptek's website and downloaded the owner's manual which doesn't mention anything either!

Did they drop this feature after on the new model???

Dimitrios
Dimitris76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:42 AM   #43

welcome aboard.

No Av in port you are correct, thiswas on Aipteks site, and probably not mentioned here will re-read what I said and will ad in somehow, thought I did LOL:G

Dimitris76 wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys!

few weeks ago Ireturned the A-HD+ and backordered the GVS which is now in the mail.

After reading all these I noticed that nobody mentioned anything about recording via the composite AV port... I went on Aiptek's website and downloaded the owner's manual which doesn't mention anything either!

Did they drop this feature after on the new model???

Dimitrios
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:01 PM   #44

Fishy,

thank you for the answer!

Unfortunately for me this AV in feature very much is needed and since I am ordering all this stuff from the US and have them sent here in Sweden it's getting too complicated to return the GVS once again in exchange for the Action-HD..:sad:

They say hope dies last -on page 4 of GVS manual here http://www.goaiptek.com/manuals/manual-agvs.pdf

on the 4th step it says When the pop-up message appears on the screen, please select "AV-Out".so, what are our other options here? AV-In maybe??? :idea:
Old Jan 13, 2009, 12:57 PM   #45

Even though Amazon says "This item has not yet been released"- I ordered the Aiptek 1080p GVS from Amazon on 1/5, and it was delivered via 2nd day air on 1/12.

My first impressions:
  • Feels flimsy and very breakable - I'm very concerned that it could handle a fall (I want to use it for ski videos)[/*]
  • It rattles when you shake it so I'm concerned the rattle will get picked up by themicrophone- turns out it's the zoom slider that rattles[/*]
  • Terrible placement of the zoom button - how can you hold it and zoom without losing your grip? IMO, the zoom should be located on the front like a trigger (where the flash is). That Sima case might be the solution. [/*]
  • The a/v port door is difficult to remove (personally, i like it)[/*]
  • No lens threads for a filter, wide-angle or telephoto lens[/*]
  • The SD socket isrecessed (and the spring release isstrong) somy fingernail splitmy SD card open upon removal. Minor annoyance, I just rotate my fingernail 45 degrees.[/*]
  • I'm concerned about the placement of the joystick - even though you cannot change settings during a recording sequence, it is possible to accidentally change the settings between takes.
[/*]
I'll take some rollerblading videos in the next few days and upload them to Vimeo/Megaupload so you can get a feel for the AF and video performance.

bartman888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 1:06 PM   #46

Bartman888,

can you record video via the AV port?

Dimitris
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:30 PM   #47

Dimitris76- you cannot record via the AV or HD ports. When the AV cord is inserted, it asks "Earphone or AV Out", after selection, the screen goes blank. When the HD cord is inserted, the screen goes blank immediately. Pressing record while either cord is inserted will record through the camera lens (acting like a webcam with external viewfinder). Inserting the AV cord into the Mic plug will record video through the lens and audio through the RCA audio ports; however, the audio is very loud and distorted.

FYI - the GVS has 4 ports: 1/8" Mic (on the right side), and the other 3 are beneath the rear plate - 1/8" AV (L/R audio and video or earphone monitor), mini-USB, and 1/8" HD (3 color component cable).
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:41 PM   #48

bartman888 wrote:
Quote:
you cannot record via the AV or HD ports. When the AV cord is inserted, it asks "Earphone or AV Out", after selection, the screen goes blank. When the HD cord is inserted, the screen goes blank immediately.

Ok these guys at Aiptek are unbelievable. The fix one thing and they ruin another...

What were they thinking when they removed this awesome PVR feature? To replace it with what? Whya headphone socket? To listen privately while I am playing back my recordings on a 3 inch screen? What BS!

Ok to anyone interested - Like I said I have a brand new in the box GVS coming in the mail. The lack of external recording is a deal breaker for meand I would like to get rid of it , so I'll set up an eBay auction for anyone interested as soon as it arrives in Sweden - that is in a few days.

I'll post the link to the auction here.

Dimitris
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:47 PM   #49

I'm not sure if they can fix it in software. I attached a pic of the 'Mode' menu
Old Jan 13, 2009, 2:55 PM   #50

The mode menu is exactly the same like Action-HD's! How do we upgrade/downgrade firmware in these cameras? Can it be done without by the end-user - via the USB port - without openning up the camera case?

Dimitris