Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 25, 2009, 7:49 PM   #511

Quote:
Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post
Well, I just received my GVS and have a few questions...

1. How can I tell what firmware version I am running?
2. Realistically, at 720p 60fps, how long will the included 1200mAh battery last?
3. I have an 8GB card. How many hours of 720p video can I get on this?
4. Can I take stills while filming video?
5. Does the Manfrotto 585 work well?

My main purpose is to take videos of my daughters soccer and baketball games. Is there anything else I need besides an extra battery and SD card to get the best possible shots?
2. I was able to shoot over an hour of video (not continuous but frequent) and still got some juice left.

3. It depends on the firmware version. The later firmwares capture at higher bit rates. Another factor is shooting mode (resolution). Shooting time countdown is displayed at the bottom of the LCD when turned on and will tell you exactly how much time you've got left.

5. The Modosteady 585 beats handholding anytime and anyday, not to mention the possibility to shoot more interesting angles/perspective/flying which otherwise couldn't be done handheld. It is not a magic solution - it is a tool; and just like any other tool, you still need to develop good techniques with it (footwork, steady hands, panning, flying, etc.). Also, as far as tuning/balancing it is concerned, you need to be patient and should have a certain degree of basic physics and geometry aptitude. Creativity also comes in handy. I found myself doing some modification to accommodate extra hardware and resorting to pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters to fine-tune the thing. If you find the prospect of doing all of the above exciting, then the modosteady will eventually serve you well. I'd say get it, explore it and have fun with it. I have.

The Modosteady 585 is not a Steadicam Merlin but even with the Steadicam Merlin which cost about ten times more (I got my Modosteady for about $80), you still need to go through most of the above drill.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by camjock; Jun 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:27 AM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjock View Post
5. The Modosteady 585 beats handholding anytime and anyday, not to mention the possibility to shoot more interesting angles/perspective/flying which otherwise couldn't be done handheld. It is not a magic solution - it is a tool; and just like any other tool, you still need to develop good techniques with it (footwork, steady hands, panning, flying, etc.). Also, as far as tuning/balancing it is concerned, you need to be patient and should have a certain degree of basic physics and geometry aptitude. Creativity also comes in handy. I found myself doing some modification to accommodate extra hardware and resorting to pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters to fine-tune the thing. If you find the prospect of doing all of the above exciting, then the modosteady will eventually serve you well. I'd say get it, explore it and have fun with it. I have.

The Modosteady 585 is not a Steadicam Merlin but even with the Steadicam Merlin which cost about ten times more (I got my Modosteady for about $80), you still need to go through most of the above drill.

I hope this helps.
This is the kind of help you just can't get from the companies support! I have seen the pictures of your rig and was wondering what microphone you were using and has it made a difference? Also, I would like to add an external light source like the Sima SL-20LX. Have you used anything like that?

Many thanks!
opuscroakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:03 PM   #513

Quote:
I have seen the pictures of your rig and was wondering what microphone you were using and has it made a difference
As I have already posted before, it is a stereo condenser microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. If you're asking me the difference between it and the GVS' built-in mic which has an omnidirectional polar pattern, it would be like explaining the difference between a pickup truck and a minivan or between any other type and design of vehicles availble in the market for that matter. Likewise, there are a multitude of types and designs of mics out there. Each one does different things. I suggest to familiarize yourself with them to answer your own question.

There are already a lot of literatures on microphones online. All you need to do is Google or Wiki them. Try "microphone polar patterns" to start with.

Quote:
Also, I would like to add an external light source like the Sima SL-20LX. Have you used anything like that?
No, I don't use external light.

Last edited by camjock; Jun 26, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 1:49 PM   #514

Oh Man! what was just said.

this is the kind of help you don 't get from who?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:05 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Oh Man! what was just said.

this is the kind of help you don 't get from who?
Aiptek?
Old Jun 26, 2009, 2:17 PM   #516

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjock View Post
As I have already posted before, it is a stereo condenser microphone with a cardioid polar pattern. If you're asking me the difference between it and the GVS' built-in mic which has an omnidirectional polar pattern, it would be like explaining the difference between a pickup truck and a minivan or between any other type and design of vehicles availble in the market for that matter. Likewise, there are a multitude of types and designs of mics out there. Each one does different things. I suggest to familiarize yourself with them to answer your own question.

There are already a lot of literatures on microphones online. All you need to do is Google or Wiki them. Try "microphone polar patterns" to start with.

No, I don't use external light.
Actually, I was looking for the make and model of the microphone. I read through all 50 pages of this thread and I know somewhere you mentioned it but can't remember where.

Also, I have noticed the field of view is somewhat limited. I would like to add a wide angle lens and was thinking of a magmount. Are there any other viable solutions that you have found for a wide angle lens?

Last edited by opuscroakus; Jun 26, 2009 at 2:47 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 7:44 PM   #517

Quote:
Actually, I was looking for the make and model of the microphone. I read through all 50 pages of this thread and I know somewhere you mentioned it but can't remember where.

Also, I have noticed the field of view is somewhat limited. I would like to add a wide angle lens and was thinking of a magmount. Are there any other viable solutions that you have found for a wide angle lens?
Why would you think the field of view is limited, it is the best view ever,

The camera setting is set to 1.4 optical zoom.

A wider angle. .36 would probably be the correction, what are your thoughts. .45 I have unacceptable

There are othercams on the market that wil give a better field of depth, but i tend to now forget.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 8:21 PM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Why would you think the field of view is limited, it is the best view ever,

The camera setting is set to 1.4 optical zoom.

A wider angle. .36 would probably be the correction, what are your thoughts. .45 I have unacceptable

There are othercams on the market that wil give a better field of depth, but i tend to now forget.
Well, I can make do with it as it is but would prefer a wider view. I would think .36 would start to fisheye.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 5:24 AM   #519

Quote:
Well, I can make do with it as it is but would prefer a wider view. I would think .36 would start to fisheye.
Once again, this cam would have, could have, and may have. been the all time Low budget economy hybrid of daytime outdoor shots "GVS" but it seems you' have to get this from the A-HD, and + model, and as well the Action go and HD.

The wide angle of the GVS has a known defect, and the Aiptek team will not admitt to any such defect..
I have wathed acam that has a built in Wide angle, I have seen wide angle lenses, I have played with other wider angle models. and When, opening and turning on, you'll not notice right away but you will.
Monitored, firmware fix the wide angle of this cam
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:49 PM   #520

used my Pheonix, lens and I feel I get blurriness due to the Af placement lens so I guess i will work a plan out.