Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 30, 2009, 1:22 PM   #531

Default Must Use Stereo Mic

Just got word back from Aiptek. They said you have to use a Stereo mic with this camera.

I certainly wish that fact was outlined somewhere in the product description/documentation. What a pain in this ass it would've saved me.

So, I'm off to Amazon again to buy yet a third microphone. I'll let you guys know how I make out once I receive and test it.
luleese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:38 PM   #532

I hear, and see this a mile away.

So the company is saying, the GVS has a ext port, period. The port needs a stereo device, to properly operate, not saying what the port actually is stereo, or mono.

This brings up a excellent question a mono plug -stereo plug adapter, iwht a microphone.
I did not say what type of mic. just a mic.

If power to the plug is present how much per jack side, is the jack power double to the mono.

one said no extention wire will work with the GVS, while one can run 50 feet with no loss of sound.

thank you for reading my own 2 cents.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 4:52 PM   #533

Quote:
Originally Posted by luleese View Post
Thanks for the response fishycomics.

The two lavalier mics I've tried (and seemingly broken) are:

Olympus ME-15 Microphone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Audio-Technica ATR-35S Lavalier Microphone
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_oh_product

Both had good reviews, which is why I bought them. It's really strange how they worked once and then never again. I suspect they've been somehow "blown out" (as can happen to speakers if you play the volume too loud).

I've tried a regular mic and it worked fine. I'm beginning to think that this camera is just not compatible with lavalier mics at all (is that possible?).

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

--Luleese

The following is a quote of an earlier post which I think is relevant to your current mic issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjock View Post
To rephrase my response to your other post above, you don't need to adapt or have to do any modification if you hook up a stereo microphone (equipped with a stereo mini plug) to the GVS' audio input jack; it will record in stereo (both channels). Just plug it and play it. However, if you plug in a mono microphone (i.e. lavalier, shotgun, etc.) equipped with a mono mini plug, then you need to use a mono to stereo mini plug adapter to be able to record on both channels; otherwise, it will only record on the left channel. I hope I'm making myself clear this time around.
Furthermore, condenser mics require a power source, either built-in (battery) or "phantom" power supply (the electret variety uses lower voltage). Based on my experience with the GVS, I believe that there is some sort of power running through its audio input jack; either "phantom" (higher voltage) or plug-in-power (PiP - lower voltage) and each are wired differently. Wouldn't it be nice if Aiptek includes these info in their specs? Surprise, surprise!

You might want to double check the following in addition to using a mono to stereo mini plug adapter (Radio Shack):

1. make sure the inline switch is on during recording
2. make sure the battery is not dead.

Hopefully, this will solve your microphone woes.

However, if the GVS' jack has "phantom" power (higher voltage) and those lav mics of yours are designed for low-voltage PiP (plug-in-power), then it's possible that they got fried, hence they only worked the first time.

Last edited by camjock; Jun 30, 2009 at 5:49 PM.
camjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 4:42 AM   #534

Well in the back of my mind, I said, " take the cam, and tripod today", and i did, andI stopped, andsaw this, no one on the set, just a Officer of the law. I pulled to the side, grabbed a quick video only, If the officer was not there, I sure hell look for a on/off switch, and start filming LOL. if they were thee yesterday, I think they'll be there again today.

The sky was showing light,anda blueish color Lol, and yes that means ican grab film, if it was dark no film. it's funny how when the sky shows blue the cam will recognise and grab footage. in a room, it fails to do so.. just my two cents of the day, thank you.

Last edited by fishycomics; Jul 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:09 AM   #535

Hi all.

First message here, so: hello from Portugal!

Thanks for all your opinion's - especially fishy's - which lead to buy the camera.

Just bought a Z700 from Germany (conrad.de) and I'm having a problem:
I have an unbranded, Transcend like, 16 Gb SDHC Class 6 bought off eBay.
http://tinyurl.com/sd-card-transcend

I was able to use it in a couple of laptops, even formatted it with Panasonic's SDFormatter V2.0, but as soon as I put it in the Z700 and try to record anything (either video or photo) the camera shows a "Memory Full" message and the disk gets unformatted / unusable.

When I insert the car into the Camera's slot, from the first use on it will show "Memory Full" message.
It always shows the SD icon on the screen, so the card is recognized (correctly??) by the camera.

If I choose "Format" in the Camera's menu, 1 seconds later it shows "Format OK", but the sympthoms are the same.

Anyone had such an experience?

Thanks in advance,
Joao
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 11:51 AM   #536

Default Day of the Triffids :D

Well not quite, but a video clip of the flower buds from a sausage tree taken with the Aiptek GVS using macro mode:

http://www.vimeo.com/5424543

It seems that vimeo is either having problems or doesn't like the WVGA format from the Aiptek as the sound gets cut off halfway through.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:16 PM   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Hi all.

First message here, so: hello from Portugal!

Thanks for all your opinion's - especially fishy's - which lead to buy the camera.

Just bought a Z700 from Germany (conrad.de) and I'm having a problem:
I have an unbranded, Transcend like, 16 Gb SDHC Class 6 bought off eBay.
http://tinyurl.com/sd-card-transcend

I was able to use it in a couple of laptops, even formatted it with Panasonic's SDFormatter V2.0, but as soon as I put it in the Z700 and try to record anything (either video or photo) the camera shows a "Memory Full" message and the disk gets unformatted / unusable.

When I insert the car into the Camera's slot, from the first use on it will show "Memory Full" message.
It always shows the SD icon on the screen, so the card is recognized (correctly??) by the camera.

If I choose "Format" in the Camera's menu, 1 seconds later it shows "Format OK", but the sympthoms are the same.

Anyone had such an experience?

Thanks in advance,
Joao

Welcome aboard. thanks for the kind words sometimes a response is all it takes. you know who you are........

Ihave gone through many issues,and that one. i can only say. to format in the pc, then the cam, it must be that card. but one also says uh fw will fix a issue as well. so I wonder if the fw is old
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:18 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Well not quite, but a video clip of the flower buds from a sausage tree taken with the Aiptek GVS using macro mode:

http://www.vimeo.com/5424543

It seems that vimeo is either having problems or doesn't like the WVGA format from the Aiptek as the sound gets cut off halfway through.
Vimeo flash player, try clicking on the DL and you'll see it work 100%.

Here is a perfect example of Depth, did you not see how 3d that looked
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:34 PM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Vimeo flash player, try clicking on the DL and you'll see it work 100%.

Here is a perfect example of Depth, did you not see how 3d that looked
The download will only be available for a week as vimeo has a new policy for free accounts which is understandable. They now remove the original upload after this time due the fact that they take up valuable storage space. Paid accounts do not suffer this limitation though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2009, 4:26 PM   #540

Dl are workedaround