Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:49 PM   #671

EFS,

I didn't realize I even had a focus issue! I did notice that the dash and bugs on the windshield looked particularly sharp, but I still thought that the distant road ahead (that I really want to have in focus) looked acceptably clear. If it could be better, I'd like to make sure I have it focused properly. For those clips I listed, I let the camera autofocus while it was mounted inside the car, then I locked the autofocus off, and perhaps the camera chose to focus on the dash and windshield. I figure next time I'll take the camera out of the car and make sure it's focused on a distant object before locking the autofocus off and mounting it in the car. Is there any way to "manually" focus a GVS at infinity?

I haven't officially recorded anything in my car yet with the Raynox QC-505, but my informal tests agree with your findings that the camera must be put in macro mode first to get the camera to focus. That seems odd to me, but that's what seemed to work. If I simply zoomed the camera to full wide angle and snapped on the Raynox adapter, the focus was way off.

Fishy,

Thank you for confirming that FW 2302 is the one to stay with if wide angle is my concern. What bugs me is that I understand the later firmware versions, like 2901, have a "less sensitive" microphone input. I'm not sure if that's for the internal mic, the external mic, or both. But from reading your posts, I believe you said that the "improvement" in microphone de-sensitivity from 2302 to 2901 was negligible. If that's true, then it certainly sounds like staying with 2302 makes the most sense.

With respect to microphone inputs, I wonder if you'd clarify this a bit further:

"I am sure ther is a solution and one has to find out with te MONO ext port. if not you can alway modify the Int ports."

I couldn't follow this. Could you explain further? If I can't find a microphone that works "out of the box" with this camera (for my application), is there some internal modifcation that can be made to the camera to dial down the sensitivity? Is mic sensitivity (or gain) the problem I'm having? Do you know if there is a microphone that one can buy that has a "volume" control of sorts so that the input levels can be reduced before it gets to mic input of the camera? My first preference is to just buy a mic that works. But if there is no such thing, then my next preference would be to modify the mic somehow (like add a potentiometer or something) to dial back its output. Any advice here?

Another option might be to try covering the internal microphone with tape or foam or both. I'd like to get engine and car noises, but not wind noise. Is there any technique that allow the internal mic to do a better job of filtering out wind noise?

Thanks again to all.

Rob
Rob 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:03 PM   #672

I have this in th house for years. can lower th sound. If we lower the sound, all we are doing is lowering the sound so the noise will always be there. more of controls to the levels of sound high, med and low.
If one knew of capcitors they can modd to a wire and mic.

the Internal mics, two screws on the lcd and off comes the cover, exposing two mics with ample room with wiring. if a mistake is made , one can always place back.

the sound with firmwar they only and only can lower the sound just like I did with a aftermarket source. but hey I am no pro. i wish they placed a incriment level and sub menu control, sound. hope tht helps, no nee for a sample. or woul a driving one do.

I know you'll want one. the seliphane mics are sweet noisy as can be.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2009, 1:39 PM   #673

Rob 930

Can you please show your rollbar mount setup?
I also bought this camera to record track footage, but as I have an open car (MNR VortX) I'm bit worried with stones coming to the camera...

If there was a clear case like the ones for other cameras...
http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...138&Itemid=234

Cheers,
Joao
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:24 PM   #674

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWUONZV43zY
well thought I reload some stuff.
thought I fool around and make the vid a lil larger 1380x820. maybe i'll increase it to youtube says hey hmmm that's enough
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:53 PM   #675

http://www.zshare.net/video/64225689392e67e3/

thought I toss this video and ht site I just found, a quick share enjoy not HD but did a fine job.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:26 PM   #676

My local zoo provides a wealth of subjects for trying out camcorders. You'll notice how the high gain mic of the GVS picks up high pitched sounds very easily. The white noise in the background is the sound of the nearby falling water.

Click on the image to take you to the video.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:48 PM   #677

Default Audio

I'm thinking about buying this product, have read all 68 pages, and am most concerned about the audio, but have other concerns as well.

I think i have a possible solution to "this sound is way too distorted".
Someone mentioned a potentiometer. That's the solution (or, it almost certainly is, but I haven't tested it). You want to run your external mic or mics into a "headphone volume control" and then from the headphone volume control into the camera. I've been using this trick for years with the video cameras with external mic ins that i've owned. It works.

Try this one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/KOSS-VC20-IN-LIN...d=p3286.c0.m14
(I haven't used this one, but it looks right) or this one -
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102975
(this is the one I've used)

It should work well enough to take a line level signal down to mic level, but it definitely works well enough to turn down a mic to a level that doesn't distort.

I'm not too troubled by the fact that the internal mics are so loud. It is true that video cameras are more often used by families, to record conversation level, etc., instead of rock concerts and racetracks. Some have asked for audio gain control on the internal mics. This is a $200 camera. It's rare to find audio gain control on vid cams costing twice as much. And, there's a external mic in. With that, you can solve the problem of too loud.

But wth is going on with a mono external mic? Can that be 100% verified?
Has it been verified that the internal mics are in stereo, and the external mic records in mono? Apparently the connector itself is in stereo. Is it a wiring problem or a firmware problem that gives the mono result?

A mono external mic is extremely stupid in this day and age. This has to have been a huge blunder on Aiptek's part. It's not like a stereo external mic would have cost anything more. I'm still on the fence on this camera, mostly because I'm used to my current system, a digital 8 camera, 2 XLR mics, a cord with 2 female SLRs to 1 stereo 1/8 mini, and the headphone volume control (as seen above). I tape loud concerts all the time with
this setup, I set up feet in front of the PA speakers and point the mics at the speakers. No distortion. And it's in whatever type of stereo I want. If the guitarist in the venue has his Marshall cranked to 11 and the sound guy isn't putting much of his guitar in the mix, I'll point one of the mics at the stage (also getting more drums). If I'm going to mono, it'll be a step back for me.

Anyway, to Fishy, you opened up the GVS unit. Was that unit broken, or were you able to easily put it back together again?

Because if you were able to put it back together again, based on what I think I saw from your photos, it might be a fairly simple task to modify the unit to provide the kinds of functionalities we're looking for.

The internal mic capsules are connected by long enough wires to something else in the camera.

I'd (maybe if I wanted to risk this procedure) cut the wires attaching each of the capsules to the rest of the camera somewhere in the middle.

I'd get one of the headphone volume controls (the radio shack one, with the controller in the middle) and cut that between the male end and the volume control part.

I'd solder the mic capsule wires to the male end of the volume control cord.

I'd solder the camera wires to the volume control end of the volumer control cord.

Make one or 2 little holes in the casing, leaving the female end + volume control cord and the male end cord outside of the unit.

That would leave you with a 1/8 male attached to the internal capsules, and a 1/8 female and volume control attached to the camera.

If you wanted to use the internal mic capsules, just put the 1/8 male into the 1/8 female. If the internal mic capsules are too loud, use the volume control to turn it down. If you want to use the internal capsules, and they aren't too loud, just keep it the way it was before, it should sound the same as before.

If you want to use an external mic, just plug it or them into the 1/8 female.
It should work.

While you're in there, you might want to upgrade the capsules. Instead of using the capsules
that're in there now, you can use the capsules they mention on this website -
http://webpages.charter.net/tidmarsh/binmic/ - the binaural mics mentioned on that website
are fairly expensive, but the panasonic capsules used to make those mics (wm-60AT or WM-61) are pretty cheap.

It seems like the microphone builders in 2009 are using the Panasonic WM-61A - totally flat frequency response
20-20k - under $2 http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-Electr...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think? Am I missing anything there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
I have read with interest all 67 pages of this forum, but this is my first post. I just purchased a GVS for use in recording the view from inside my car, being driven on a race track. I have two concerns; I would like to have better sound and I want to preserve the widest angle view possible. In my first attempt, shown in the clips below, I neglected to set the video resolution where I had intended -- it was set at WVGA instead of the intended 60f(720p). Hence, resolution was not optimal. In the YouTube clip, I used the ArcSoft editing software that came with the camera. It was clunky and I'm not sure I rendered the output high enough and I may have lost some resolution there, as well as whatever is lost when uploading to YouTube. Here's that clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZabwGIMXjGU

Then I took some raw .mov footage from another session and put it on Vimeo. The picture is much better but still not HD:

http://vimeo.com/5917458

But the sound is disturbingly awful in both clips. I used a cheap external $2 boom mic for a PC, with a layer of masking tape over the tip (to keep out wind, if there had been any) and mounted it below the seat, hoping to avoid wind noise. The windows are open in this car and speeds exceed 140 mph sometimes, so there's always the concern that wind may interfere with the engine sounds that I want to hear.

Questions: what can I do to improve sound? One of the members here (amerino) reportedly put a potentiometer in the mic wire and was able to reduce the input to the camera. Any other ideas? A different mic? Which one? I tested the built in mic on the road and wind noise was awful, but the camera is mounted on a roll bar behind the seat, so it's a harsh environment. I figured an external mic would be a big improvement, but it really wasn't.

Also, I want to maintain the widest angle view (non fisheye) I can get. I used the "wide angle trick" for the above clips. It works quite well, but I'd like an even wider view. So I bought a Raynox QC-505 27 mm-37mm 0.5x Wide Angle Converter Snap on Lens. I haven't recorded with it yet, but it looks very promising from some tests I did. It fits perfectly and there's no fuzziness around the perimeter, as I'd seen from some of the magnetic wide angle converters.

I have firmware 2302. From what I read in this forum, it sounds like the latest (FW 2901) *may* have better sound because of a gain reduction for the external mic, but it doesn't sound like it was much of an improvement. I'm concerned that by updating to FW 2901, I may lose the ability to use the "wide angle trick," which sounds like it may have been an unintended feature that's been eliminated in this latest firmware version. Is that true?

In summary:

Would it be best for me to update the firmware for my application, or leave it alone? Any suggestions for a way to get better sound?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Last edited by parocks; Aug 20, 2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Adding the link to the WM-61A capsules
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2009, 2:13 PM   #678

opening up the full camera, or just the INT mic section
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:06 AM   #679

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
opening up the full camera, or just the INT mic section
just the mic section. I tried to re-find the pic you posted where you were identifying the mic capsules, and I couldn't.

Would you say there's room to add a couple of watch batteries and a volume control in that section?

And if you know where the original pic is, I could look at that.
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:18 AM   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by parocks View Post
just the mic section. I tried to re-find the pic you posted where you were identifying the mic capsules, and I couldn't.

Would you say there's room to add a couple of watch batteries and a volume control in that section?

And if you know where the original pic is, I could look at that.
Click the Picture for VIDEO, of HOW to take apart the pics are way in the thread so here is pic of both sides.

that is excellent question, I am sur we can squeeze the batterries, but a volume control hmmm

Click that Pic to see a VIDEO

Last edited by fishycomics; Aug 23, 2009 at 7:25 AM.