Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:59 AM   #691
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Hi Rob.

(camera mount) Thanks for the link. Seems a good mount.

I'm after something to use outside (open top car, with rollbar)
http://mnr-portugal.com/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=19

I want to use the diagonal stay, so the camera sits between driver and passenger.
I was thinking about building a mount myself, so I knew it was sturdy enought (as most mounts are made to be used inside).

Do you have any hint on a suitable mount?

Regards,
Joao

PS: Does anyone knows a good case to the camera, so it's protected from road debris?
TheShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:32 PM   #692
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Parocks,

Thanks again for the discussion regarding volume controls. I purchased the $9.00 Radio Shack unit you referenced, and it works very well between my external boom mic and Aiptek GVS camera. I didn’t realize that the $2 boom mic I had purchased came with a 1/8 in. stereo plug. I can’t believe it’s really a stereo mic, but apparently it’s at least wired to be compatible with a stereo device. And the Radio Shack volume control is also a stereo-compatible device, so both components work fine with each other and with the Aiptek camera (though I think I understand from Fishy that regardless of whether the external mic is a stereo mic, the external sound input to the camera is not actually recording in stereo – which is okay with me for this application).When I tested the setup in my house (by talking into the mic), I was able to control the microphone input volume just fine. What remains to be seen is whether, by lowering the mic input volume, I’m able to get rid of that awful overload/distortion sound that plagued the recording in my race car (the link to which I posted previously). I’ll have a chance to test this out in the car in a few days, so I’ll report back on it then.

Also, I tried using some Ipod ear bud headphones as an external mic. It works! But the gain seemed to be greatly reduced, so I had to speak loudly and directly into the ear buds to get any significant volume on the recording when I played it back. For my application I’m *trying* to reduce the gain (or I *think* that’s what I want to do), so they might actually work fine, and I may try them. But I’d prefer to use the boom mic with volume control if I can make it work.

BTW, when I called Aiptek a couple weeks ago about this issue, they were both rude *and* unhelpful. I got some jerk who was downright condescending and clearly wasn’t interested in helping me. My question was simple: how can I improve the sound for my application. Aside from all the snide remarks he made, he told me that there were three requirements for the external microphone: 1) it must be a stereo mic, 2) it can’t be connected to an extension cable and 3) it can’t have an on/off switch. I thought, huh? To the best of my knowledge, all three of those are false. I really couldn’t understand number 3. What does an on/off switch have to do with anything? If, by chance, what he means is that an externally powered microphone isn’t compatible for some reason, then perhaps I could see it. Could that be true? But just an on/off switch? That should have no bearing on anything, as long as the switch is “on.” It certainly pegged my BS meter…

Joao,

Nice car! Is that a Caterham? Fabulous machine. To your question: I would think that the I/O Port mount referenced previously should work in your application. It has a degree of freedom that should allow you to clamp to the diagonal roll bar member and adjust the camera upright for taping. Another option might be to use an I/O Port mount (or something equivalent) and hang it from the upper, horizontal roll bar. You may then have to invert the image in your editing process, which I know nothing about other than I’ve heard it can be done.

Here are some other mounts that may work too (either individually or in concert):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553889-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_056_056_3_D_Junior_Head .html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371927-REG/Impact_KCP_700B26_Super_Clamp_with_Standard.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375297-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_2910_Super_Clamp_with_0 56.html

Some people use suction cup mounts for their car applications. It wouldn’t work on your rollbar, of course, but you could perhaps put it somewhere on the body. Here’s one that’s supposedly very secure:

http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-3025-suction-cup-camera-mount.html

I know nothing about a clear protective box that you might be able to use to protect the camera. A Raynox wide angle converter, that snaps onto the lens, may protect the lens, though.

Rob
Rob 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2009, 9:20 PM   #693
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Good to hear that the headphone volume control is working for you without any additionals adapters. If you have any distortion going forward it's likely from your microphone, and not from the input gain of the aiptek (although there are counter possibilities).

Interesting that the ipod headphones work. If they work straight into the aiptek from you talking, they'll likely work in your car.

Yeah, it seems that the aiptek guy was wrong on all 3 counts. He was partially right about the stereo, in that a stereo 1/8 male is needed, not necessarily a stereo mic. If I was to guess, I'd say that the guys answering the phone are trained not to have a clear understanding of microphone technology, but to cut down on 3 basic problems. Aiptek has probably determined that their #1 issue is the mono vs stereo problem, and has told their phone answerers to mention that. Extension cords might cause some problem we don't know about. And some people might not understand that a microphone needs to be turned on. The person you talked to probably doesn't really understand how microphones work, or really how the aiptek works. And the issue of the power requirements of electret microphones and headroom and high volume situations is a difficult one to understand and explain, so I can understand why they aren't training their people in that. But "there is distortion because it's too loud" should be a common enough complaint, and they should have an answer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
Parocks,

Thanks again for the discussion regarding volume controls. I purchased the $9.00 Radio Shack unit you referenced, and it works very well between my external boom mic and Aiptek GVS camera. I didn’t realize that the $2 boom mic I had purchased came with a 1/8 in. stereo plug. I can’t believe it’s really a stereo mic, but apparently it’s at least wired to be compatible with a stereo device. And the Radio Shack volume control is also a stereo-compatible device, so both components work fine with each other and with the Aiptek camera (though I think I understand from Fishy that regardless of whether the external mic is a stereo mic, the external sound input to the camera is not actually recording in stereo – which is okay with me for this application).When I tested the setup in my house (by talking into the mic), I was able to control the microphone input volume just fine. What remains to be seen is whether, by lowering the mic input volume, I’m able to get rid of that awful overload/distortion sound that plagued the recording in my race car (the link to which I posted previously). I’ll have a chance to test this out in the car in a few days, so I’ll report back on it then.

Also, I tried using some Ipod ear bud headphones as an external mic. It works! But the gain seemed to be greatly reduced, so I had to speak loudly and directly into the ear buds to get any significant volume on the recording when I played it back. For my application I’m *trying* to reduce the gain (or I *think* that’s what I want to do), so they might actually work fine, and I may try them. But I’d prefer to use the boom mic with volume control if I can make it work.

BTW, when I called Aiptek a couple weeks ago about this issue, they were both rude *and* unhelpful. I got some jerk who was downright condescending and clearly wasn’t interested in helping me. My question was simple: how can I improve the sound for my application. Aside from all the snide remarks he made, he told me that there were three requirements for the external microphone: 1) it must be a stereo mic, 2) it can’t be connected to an extension cable and 3) it can’t have an on/off switch. I thought, huh? To the best of my knowledge, all three of those are false. I really couldn’t understand number 3. What does an on/off switch have to do with anything? If, by chance, what he means is that an externally powered microphone isn’t compatible for some reason, then perhaps I could see it. Could that be true? But just an on/off switch? That should have no bearing on anything, as long as the switch is “on.” It certainly pegged my BS meter…

Joao,

Nice car! Is that a Caterham? Fabulous machine. To your question: I would think that the I/O Port mount referenced previously should work in your application. It has a degree of freedom that should allow you to clamp to the diagonal roll bar member and adjust the camera upright for taping. Another option might be to use an I/O Port mount (or something equivalent) and hang it from the upper, horizontal roll bar. You may then have to invert the image in your editing process, which I know nothing about other than I’ve heard it can be done.

Here are some other mounts that may work too (either individually or in concert):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553889-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_056_056_3_D_Junior_Head .html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/371927-REG/Impact_KCP_700B26_Super_Clamp_with_Standard.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375297-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_2910_Super_Clamp_with_0 56.html

Some people use suction cup mounts for their car applications. It wouldn’t work on your rollbar, of course, but you could perhaps put it somewhere on the body. Here’s one that’s supposedly very secure:

http://www.filmtools.com/gripper-3025-suction-cup-camera-mount.html

I know nothing about a clear protective box that you might be able to use to protect the camera. A Raynox wide angle converter, that snaps onto the lens, may protect the lens, though.

Rob

Last edited by parocks; Aug 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM.
parocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:02 PM   #694
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Belowanswers your Int mic watch enjoy and comment

http://vimeo.com/6366103

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:53 PM   #695
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Belowanswers your Int mic watch enjoy and comment

http://vimeo.com/6366103

I guess now you just need to try the same experiment with an external mic...
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:45 AM   #696
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Belowanswers your Int mic watch enjoy and comment
Can't be much clearer than that, thanks!

BTW, regarding the low battery, I had the same indication when using a micro SDHC card (class 4) with adapter. Using a "normal" SDHC card (class 6) did get rid of it.

-------------------
Tried to figure out which pins on the mini-USB connector that could be used for a battery-pack so I dissembled the eliminator and found this(with reservation that I measured right - the pins are very small and grouped closed together):


"Pin x of mini-USB connector may be not connected, connected to GND or used as attachment identification at some portable devices."


It appears that Pin x is used to power the camera, haven't got hold of a connector yet to do a final test so I'm not 100% sure though...

Regards C.
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:02 AM   #697
Senior Member
 
Juggernauter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 210
Default

The thing with the Batteryindicator i have too but only when fast shooting. Switch on Cam and press Recordbutton too fast, when i whait 2-3 Seconds everything is fine. Doesnt matter which SD Card i use always the same.

@fishycomics
Soldered the wires back? I tryed using a peace of plasticfoam, ok for windnoise but not more. Now i want to modify a headset microphone using it with the Cam. Hope that helps a bit.
__________________
Best regards
Juggernauter

Excuse my english, i know it is not the best.

Canon Powershot S95
Panasonic HDC SD-10 with sunshade.
Juggernauter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:13 AM   #698
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caprice View Post
Can't be much clearer than that, thanks!

BTW, regarding the low battery, I had the same indication when using a micro SDHC card (class 4) with adapter. Using a "normal" SDHC card (class 6) did get rid of it.

-------------------
Tried to figure out which pins on the mini-USB connector that could be used for a battery-pack so I dissembled the eliminator and found this(with reservation that I measured right - the pins are very small and grouped closed together):


"Pin x of mini-USB connector may be not connected, connected to GND or used as attachment identification at some portable devices."


It appears that Pin x is used to power the camera, haven't got hold of a connector yet to do a final test so I'm not 100% sure though...

Regards C.

Did you look on the ac charger of the GVS the pin config should be there, right side.

What I did was cut the ac adapter I had, you can probably get a ac plug off ebay for 10.00 that will cost close to your price.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:17 AM   #699
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernauter View Post
The thing with the Batteryindicator i have too but only when fast shooting. Switch on Cam and press Recordbutton too fast, when i whait 2-3 Seconds everything is fine. Doesnt matter which SD Card i use always the same.

@fishycomics
Soldered the wires back? I tryed using a peace of plasticfoam, ok for windnoise but not more. Now i want to modify a headset microphone using it with the Cam. Hope that helps a bit.

1 Yes the LOW BATT Aiptek has no Idea at all, you can try to explain, you can send them a pic , and they have no answer for it. And when the sd card gets full the cam will say LOWSPEED CARD. theicon pop upsare messed up, the order they should appear. thank you for clerifying the answer as i asked many times LOL

2 yes sodered, plastic foam on the interior, or you just taped? andyou're saying you wantto hear yourself or other imput while the cam records.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:21 AM   #700
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

I also get the Low Battery warning once in a while as does my friend so it's obviously a common bug.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:57 PM.