Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:51 PM   #721

Default Tripod mount problems

If your tripod screw socket spins and you haven't been knocking the camera around while mounted, you might be driving the tripod screw in too far. Use the spin nut on the tripod screw to shorten the distance the screw penetrates the socket. If the screw bottoms out in the socket, you can easily exert a lot of torque on the socket.

It looks, from external pictures, like the socket may be a standard threaded insert. If so, you can remove it when it gets loose by pulling it out and or unscrewing it. Heat from a soldering iron can help, but don't over do it. But look inside to make sure it is just a standard threaded insert, first. Then you can rough up the hole, clean and degrease both surfaces, and reinforce with JB Weld. Another trick that helps prevent spinning is to drill small holes through both the insert and the plastic where they meet and insert a small piece of metal rod into the holes. Bear in mind that when these parts are securely mated together, excessive forces may cause the plastic to crack and split rather than the nut spinning. The physical structure is likely to be weak on the plastic case.
whitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:43 PM   #722

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECM-DS70P-Sony-M...item41451b4f82

found online for the GVS

Last edited by fishycomics; Oct 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 4:32 PM   #723

So we hear a extreme series is beingreleased. congrads to everyone. it's nearly a year and hope all is enjoying
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:40 PM   #724

Well Will baby from Aiptek, you're the best. so I let others know if you got a problem he's Da man

good luck!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:41 PM   #725

I had an unfortunate event with my GVS. The charging cord got pulled on by accident while it was connected to the camera. This damaged the mini USB port in in the camera. There's no other obvious damage to the camera, and you have to look very closely with a magnifying glass to see that something's wrong with the mini USB port (and the damage can't be corrected externally). The camera works fine, but I can't charge it or transfer data through that port. I've checked with Aiptek, and they'll swap me my camera with a "refurbished" one for $70.00. I may just do that, but I first thought I'd ask if anyone has had any luck replacing the mini USB port on their camera. I suspect it's soldered to the circuit board and I'd be best not to mess with it, but I'm enterprising enough to at least consider it.

Any ideas?
Rob 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:17 PM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 930 View Post
I had an unfortunate event with my GVS. The charging cord got pulled on by accident while it was connected to the camera. This damaged the mini USB port in in the camera. There's no other obvious damage to the camera, and you have to look very closely with a magnifying glass to see that something's wrong with the mini USB port (and the damage can't be corrected externally). The camera works fine, but I can't charge it or transfer data through that port. I've checked with Aiptek, and they'll swap me my camera with a "refurbished" one for $70.00. I may just do that, but I first thought I'd ask if anyone has had any luck replacing the mini USB port on their camera. I suspect it's soldered to the circuit board and I'd be best not to mess with it, but I'm enterprising enough to at least consider it.

Any ideas?
ask yourself.

DO I have any sdhc card reader i can get my videos on with besides the GVS?

DO I have any other measn of a aftermarket charger?

I believe wecan purchase these two items for around 20.00 rather 70.00 to the company

to take apart you'll have to tearapart the cam I have a video andshows the tearingapart LOL deep in the thread will be the vid and pics.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 5:26 PM   #727

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkCP...F4E761301D8588
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:52 PM   #728

Hissing noise

I've read various comments on using external mic w/ and w/o the use volume control to address the hissing noise... As this camcorder will be used mostly by wife w/ the newborn on the way, I'm hoping to avoid use of additional accessories. I've heard someone mention that a sound editor can be used to remove the hiss. Could someone tell me name of the program and whether it can be used to correct the audio of the .Mov file so I can create a DVD of various .Mov files easily or tell me what program to use to combine the corrected audio with the original video? Is it easier to created a compilation DVD, then use a software to correct the hissing noise of the whole DVD, then reburn? The noise is very bothersome.... Thanks.
qlee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 9:20 PM   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
ask yourself.

DO I have any sdhc card reader i can get my videos on with besides the GVS?

DO I have any other measn of a aftermarket charger?

I believe wecan purchase these two items for around 20.00 rather 70.00 to the company

to take apart you'll have to tearapart the cam I have a video andshows the tearingapart LOL deep in the thread will be the vid and pics.

Thanks, Fishy.

Before writing my note, I had found and reviewed your video, which was very informative. But it's not the disassembly of the camera that I'm worried about (you covered that quite well!). It's whether or not I can successfully replace the mini USB port on the circuit board. My guess is that it might be a difficult job for me, since I have only modest skill with soldering on circuit boards, and I bet I could do some damage if I'm ham handed. Plus, I don't know where to get a replacement mini USB port that will match what's there.

The reason I'm considering either replacing the USB port (or replacing the camera) is that for my application, I need about 2 hours of continuous running, in a race car setting, and I won't have the ability to pull out the battery and charge it separately. My preference is to connect the camera to the wall charger, which in turn is wired into an inverter in the car. And that requires that the USB port be functional.

Do you know if there are any pictures posted anywhere that focus specifically on the mini USB port on the camera's circuit board? I looked but didn't find any with enough detail to be helpful.
Rob 930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:01 AM   #730

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlee72 View Post
Hissing noise

I've read various comments on using external mic w/ and w/o the use volume control to address the hissing noise... As this camcorder will be used mostly by wife w/ the newborn on the way, I'm hoping to avoid use of additional accessories. I've heard someone mention that a sound editor can be used to remove the hiss. Could someone tell me name of the program and whether it can be used to correct the audio of the .Mov file so I can create a DVD of various .Mov files easily or tell me what program to use to combine the corrected audio with the original video? Is it easier to created a compilation DVD, then use a software to correct the hissing noise of the whole DVD, then reburn? The noise is very bothersome.... Thanks.
I use magix movie edit pro 12 plus-15plus. they have a audio clean

dehisser
denoiser
and one more

you raise and lower.
takes the hissingaway, but feedback will always be present on camcorders