Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 4, 2010, 7:09 PM   #791

Nice review. Yeah you can't get much distance with these. They can be used for some things, but not for good quality recording. Thanks for the video.
prizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:02 PM   #792

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Git1Q-T1ImA

a video short movie a lil in/out focus but it gives finece
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:59 PM   #793

Update: as my GVS, has a broken sd slot door, and Tripod section, that the plastic as well broke around it,

The Tripod needs a major redesign, it is gear / tooth driven, pressure only holding in, be extra careful, when using.

How will I repair the cam, or work with it?

I will need to reconstruct the Tripod section, without opening hte cam, and the sd slot.

Can i live without this repair?

I am sure I can, I would need to build a way to hold the cam in acrale fashion on a tripod.

What types of material are out there

plastic bond, wood filler, selicone, etc, etc.

would the rapir be a perminent fix?

May not be it can be temporarly, or perminant.

I did use bondo body filler, and that may be what I will do as it is a solid materila , stay tune for this repair.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:38 PM   #794

time for duct-tape fishycomics.. or maybe some jb-weld
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:24 PM   #795

yeah, I guess the silver stuff LOL.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:58 PM   #796

Hi Fishy and All,
do you know, if there is still a newer firmware than 2.91 for the GVS ?

I have the German Version AHDZ700 and there the latest firmware is 2.90.

But I have tested both the 2.91 and now the 2.90,
but these both have a very bad automatic focus,
especially if you want to film birds in the blue sky as the background or want to document
chemtrails from airplanes.

It seems the camera can not focus right on small objects in the distant blue skies.

I had the impression, that the earlier firmwares were still much better with that.

So I wonder, if there is still a newer firmware, that can focus again better
or which of the older firmwares had a better focus and also good low
light conditions.

I also think the firmware 2.90 and 2.91 have again more bad low light
sensivity, as I remember the 2.53 or so was very good in low light sensivity...

So is there any better new one yet or which one would be the best
firmware for fast automatic focus.

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:08 PM   #797

sorry I have no clue. I am left in thedust...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:02 PM   #798

I bought the GVS around 6mo ago for in-car(racing) use, I choose it over the GoPro because of the external mic jack, decent reviews, plus it was around half the price(Amazon sale); unfortunately it didn't even last one lap.

The first one Amazon sent was DoA, would not power on/light up/anything with fully charged battery or A/C power. Amazon was awesome with the return process and I had a new one within a couple days. Second one has been good, until today.

I was using it with a ChaseCam Extended Clamp mount which was complete JUNK, it could not support this small camera, was not stable at all, and the cheap PLASTIC THREADS on the clamp/knob stripped out with almost no effort. I eventually found a better mount and used it on a few trips around town with decent results. Went out for some practice today and heading into a hard turn the GVS fell off the mount. The whole bottom part of the camera (around the mount and SD door)(more cheap plastic) broke off, the camera fell a foot or two down behind my drivers seat. I had previously screwed the camera down a lil too tight and think that cracked the thin/cheap plastic around the mount point. When I pulled off to see what happened, LCD was cracked and the camera would no longer power on. The fall also broke my add-on wide angle lens.

This thing may be decent for light duty or for a kids first camera or something but nothing more. Not sure if I can recommend it... do make sure to avoid the chase cam mounts though.

Looks like I will just go ahead and get the GoPro, or maybe hold off a bit to see if they release something new(w/ external mic).

Last edited by wrex; Sep 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM.
wrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:17 PM   #799

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex View Post
I bought the GVS around 6mo ago for in-car(racing) use, I choose it over the GoPro because of the external mic jack, decent reviews, plus it was around half the price(Amazon sale); unfortunately it didn't even last one lap.

The first one Amazon sent was DoA, would not power on/light up/anything with fully charged battery or A/C power. Amazon was awesome with the return process and I had a new one within a couple days. Second one has been good, until today.

I was using it with a ChaseCam Extended Clamp mount which was complete JUNK, it could not support this small camera, was not stable at all, and the cheap PLASTIC THREADS on the clamp/knob stripped out with almost no effort. I eventually found a better mount and used it on a few trips around town with decent results. Went out for some practice today and heading into a hard turn the GVS fell off the mount. The whole bottom part of the camera (around the mount and SD door)(more cheap plastic) broke off, the camera fell a foot or two down behind my drivers seat. I had previously screwed the camera down a lil too tight and think that cracked the thin/cheap plastic around the mount point. When I pulled off to see what happened, LCD was cracked and the camera would no longer power on. The fall also broke my add-on wide angle lens.

This thing may be decent for light duty or for a kids first camera or something but nothing more. Not sure if I can recommend it... do make sure to avoid the chase cam mounts though.

Looks like I will just go ahead and get the GoPro, or maybe hold off a bit to see if they release something new(w/ external mic).
Thank you for joining the site.. WREX...

I hear ya.

The tripod section is not the best in support, any type of tightning must be gentle and notover tightened. this will not strip any plastic, but pull out of the socket that has NO SUPPORT.

And you're not the only one I have the same section broken as well. not a poor design , just a flaw in the cam I guess.

Sorry to hear. I love to hear what you think when you get that gopro hero excellent cam in a low budget price 300.00 lol
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:23 PM   #800

I have one of these for sale. I'm based in the UK. It's in as-new condition. Please contact me if interested. 99 ono
lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote