Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:41 AM   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
Update: as my GVS, has a broken sd slot door, and Tripod section, that the plastic as well broke around it,

The Tripod needs a major redesign, it is gear / tooth driven, pressure only holding in, be extra careful, when using.

How will I repair the cam, or work with it?

I will need to reconstruct the Tripod section, without opening hte cam, and the sd slot.

Can i live without this repair?

I am sure I can, I would need to build a way to hold the cam in acrale fashion on a tripod.

What types of material are out there

plastic bond, wood filler, selicone, etc, etc.

would the rapir be a perminent fix?

May not be it can be temporarly, or perminant.

I did use bondo body filler, and that may be what I will do as it is a solid materila , stay tune for this repair.
Fishy, first of all I want to thank you for all your hard work over the years and for making an informative and easier choice for us the consumer on these low budget cameras. I recently bought the Aiptek Action HD on clearance at Wal-Mart, the older model. But I exchanged it yesterday because I found the Aiptek GVS model on Ebay for a low price. I hope I don't regret this decision...

But anyway, I wanted to comment and maybe help you with a suggestion for the repair of your camera mount. There is an apoxie putty out there, you can find only on the internet called Aves Apoxy putty. This stuff can be used to fix almost anything. It sticks to plastic really nicely and will bond and fill in any cracks or holes you have. It is also very strong when it cures. So, anyway, this stuff really does work. It does have about a 2 or 3 hour curing time, and probably needs to sit at least 12 to 24 hours before fully cured to maximum stength. Or, also, there is the plumbers apoxie/epoxy, especially the Oatey's brand that works great for repairs. Wal-Mart carries a brand called Loctite that is really durable and stong, and it cures in about 30 minutes super hard and will bond pretty well to plastic. Bondo is a good idea as you already said, plus there is the car apoxie you can find in Wal-mart, etc.., it is a little grainy though and doesn't bond to plastic as well as the Loctite. Oateys plumber apoxy is really good, but, again, the Aves Apoxie is the best I've seen for bonding to plastic, durability, and ease to work with. It can also be spread to very thin layers and still be fairly strong. Anyway, good luck fixing your GVS.
smokecombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:10 AM   #802

Thank you Smoekcombs, will look into it....

WHen we talk about the Aiptek action Hd I keek in mind its the 1080P 4x optical zoom one. That has a focus hunt. less light level. and no 60fps, and a few other items less or the same or more.

Going the GVS route I am sure you will be happier 5x optical ,and a ext mono mic af lock, a larger screen and again a lil less same or more.

the cam should do just fine, the hunting is a lot less at day at night, you may find it hunting, it's not a night cam, we must understand that.

As for the glue the cam sits as my back ups and one daywill get to the repaires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokecombs View Post
Fishy, first of all I want to thank you for all your hard work over the years and for making an informative and easier choice for us the consumer on these low budget cameras. I recently bought the Aiptek Action HD on clearance at Wal-Mart, the older model. But I exchanged it yesterday because I found the Aiptek GVS model on Ebay for a low price. I hope I don't regret this decision...

But anyway, I wanted to comment and maybe help you with a suggestion for the repair of your camera mount. There is an apoxie putty out there, you can find only on the internet called Aves Apoxy putty. This stuff can be used to fix almost anything. It sticks to plastic really nicely and will bond and fill in any cracks or holes you have. It is also very strong when it cures. So, anyway, this stuff really does work. It does have about a 2 or 3 hour curing time, and probably needs to sit at least 12 to 24 hours before fully cured to maximum stength. Or, also, there is the plumbers apoxie/epoxy, especially the Oatey's brand that works great for repairs. Wal-Mart carries a brand called Loctite that is really durable and stong, and it cures in about 30 minutes super hard and will bond pretty well to plastic. Bondo is a good idea as you already said, plus there is the car apoxie you can find in Wal-mart, etc.., it is a little grainy though and doesn't bond to plastic as well as the Loctite. Oateys plumber apoxy is really good, but, again, the Aves Apoxie is the best I've seen for bonding to plastic, durability, and ease to work with. It can also be spread to very thin layers and still be fairly strong. Anyway, good luck fixing your GVS.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 9:54 AM   #803

Quote:
As fishycomics already stated, the GVS is the better model.

I have been using my Aiptek GVS lately to record my Son's Soccer Games using the 720p 60fps mode. I then edit it together and output to a great looking Standard Definition DVD for team member parents. The only real problem with this camcorder is that the oversensitive microphone can mean the volume of the cheering parents next to me can be quite intense! Still, distortion only becomes a problem if you intend to use it to record a party with loud music for example. As long as there is no distortion it's easy to take the volume down a notch or two in the video editor anyway.

The Pistol grip makes it very comfortable for videoing long events such as this. My arm doesn't get as tired as when using a regular camcorder style and it just seems a more fluid arm movement to me when following the ball. I often tend to use it instead of my Sanyo HD1010 at certain events such as this since the video is really not that much inferior and being a less expensive device I don't have 'baby' it as much.

I have to admit that I did have to exchange mine twice initially due to the autofocus which stopped working and then again when the exchange malfunctioned as well (though with a different problem), but to be honest this seems to be an anomally as I haven't really seen much evidence with this model to suggest it's any worse in reliability than other comparably priced models. I have an older Aiptek MPVR that still works fine. I also tend to take the card out and use a card reader instead of the camcorders own USB. The door hasn't been a problem for me so far. Generally the camcorder is well constructed for an inexpensive model.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 11:05 PM   #804

Thanks guys. My Action HD is slightly different than the one you are talking about fishycomics, although you're really close. Mine only has 3x optical zoom instead of 4. So I should see a significant difference in zoom with the GVS model. I'm glad to hear the low light levels will be a little better. You guys know what I had been recording my son's football games with? A Droid X cell phone. Lol. It supposibly has 720p video but it's got a tiny sensor and the video is very jagged at times. It also only recorded at 24 frames per second in perfect light, although after an update it does supposibly record at 30fps at 720p. Although if the sunlight is not good, or it is indoor, the frame rate will drop to 14 to 15 frames per second. I really got this phone because I needed a new phone, but also I wanted an "all-in-one" device and a phone with 720p intrigued me. Unfortunatly there is no all-in-one device, yet. I mean it can take decent pics (for a phone), and it can take fair video in good lighting. It has no zoom, no digital zoom or optical zoom for the video recorder, and only digital zoom for still pictures. SO, anyway, as my old hi8 camcorder and my old Sony camcorder (that took those mini tapes) both have major problems I decided I needed a decent camcorder. But after getting that over priced cell phone I was FORCED to go the budget camera route. And actually this little Aiptek Action HD impressed me quite a bit with the videos I've taken thus far.

I record my son's football games, so a very similar situation as you have. I would love to have a nice near professional camera where I could have a wide angle shot but also have good clear video. But I can't afford that and I think this Aiptek GVS will do nicely, especially since almost all our games this year are daytime games. I also love to video tape parties, Holidays, vacation so I like the small size camera. I'm glad you guys have mostly positive experiences with this. I really thought about buying the Kodak Playsport when I saw it. I just don't know if I can live without zoom??? I took some sample videos in a Wal-Mart store and they seemed to be really nice video. I also tried out a digital camera, a cheap model Sanyo that would record at 720p and took 14megapixel still shots. It was only $115! But I don't know how long the double A batteries it uses would stay charged up for while recording. I like to have the ability to record at least an hour without a charge. Plus I don't know if digital cameras can really handle 720p video the same way as a dedicated camcorder, the same way a camcorder can't take still pics as well as dedicated still picture digital camera. BUt anyway, I decided not to get the Sanyo or the Playsport. The Playsport was very tempting because I wouldn't worry about being out on vacation and when a rain storm pops up I have to run for cover or put the video camera up. I think one day I will either purchase the Kodak Playsport (when and if I ever get some extra cash), or an updated model that can be taken in the rain. I really wish they could add at least a 5x optical zoom to such a camera. I know fishycomics really loves the low light recording of the Kodak camera so if it just added a zoom feature I would have definitely bought one.

Thanks again guys, I'm sure I will continue to have many questions for you. I have no technical know how so forgive me. Thanks again for this great website.
smokecombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:24 AM   #805

i have a new Aiptek HD, i would like to know how do you guys usually edit the video file, does the video import by windows movie maker?
changjiangchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:47 AM   #806

Quote:
Originally Posted by changjiangchang View Post
i have a new Aiptek HD, i would like to know how do you guys usually edit the video file, does the video import by windows movie maker?
there are many routes, I have now Win 7, and I still go the route of 3rd party. they will edit but limit to, wait see vimeo, Ed Gently ask him how he does it he has a Aiptek,and edits with WMM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:58 AM   #807

the Aiptek actionHD1080P I owned a 3x opt. believe I mention a lil. Zoom issue and gear noise, mono intt mic does a nice job.

the GVS is a step up, As I own 2 gvs, and as well bought another 2 swaps, I learned from the cams, that the internal parts are not the same, so there may be up/downs...........

I was on vaca... sound was not the best with the GVS, loud places will be lil on a down side. due to the cam amped up a lil. I preferre itto be in a norm. but impossable.

glad to hear that you're going to decide what is best...

2AA batterries rechargables last a long time I am sure a good hour.

I as well think a dig cam may be my next choice, and I look more int o that, today in some ways.

I try to keep positive. and they are so less expensive as well/

Quote:
Thanks guys. My Action HD is slightly different than the one you are talking about fishycomics
Thanks again guys, I'm sure I will continue to have many questions for you. I have no technical know how so forgive me. Thanks again for this great website.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:36 PM   #808

Been a while since I've been on here. I've been borrowing my buddy's expensive Sony HDR-SR11 when I need good HD video.

I dusted off the 'ole Aiptek the other day and took some video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gARKEvRaxHc

I am considering ordering this viewfinder that changes the LCD into an eyepiece.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iewfinder.html

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
HD Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 5:24 AM   #809

As the HDMI is the latest Aiptek
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:34 AM   #810

Default Help Zooming in Aiptek GVS

Hi all & fishycomics :

I'm from Chile and i bought the GVS, last year, thanks to fishycomics comments reviews and youtube videos. Thanks and I'm happy with this camera. Please forgive my poor english if i make a spelling mistake.

But (always a but) I have a non solved matter :
1) When I zoom (or unzoom), the image get blured during few seconds and is very annoying and you have to cut in edition (is a problem when your are making an interview and you want to zoom in his/her eyes). Question : Is it normal?, It is just because light (lack or anything?), Is it because a setting (for example AF,)? How can I solve it, if able? It doesn't happen with other brands that i have tested.

2) But I broke it because a fall. And the zoom doesn't work at all (I push it up-down and doesn't work and it seems that it touch nothing at the end). I opened as the Don't Do This Video at youtube and it seems that the plastic is not getting to the internal zoom mechanism. Somebody knows who, where, or how to fix it? I'm using the remote control meanwhile. It is usefull but not comfortable.

Thanks for any help in any of the two topics

Paul
pmalbec is offline   Reply With Quote