Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 14, 2008, 7:31 AM   #1

Hi!
Please give me advice.
I want buy an hd cam that gives me two basic things:
- good enough quality in low-light indoor scenes (~100-200W incandescent lamp at home)
- good enough focusing quality
1080p, optical zoom and gyroscopic stabilization is not so important for me.

Also i expect that photo shots will be at least not worse quality than from my old Pentax Optio 33L
For indoor i think built-in LEDs will be useful. Yes, i read opinion by fishycomics in topic about LEDs, but in the club or bar it may be helpful for capturing objects in 1-2 meters, i mean. Am i not mistaken?
GVS haven't LED and it's a minus.

About focus: i saw almost all samples at Vimeo and it seemed to me that better quality outdoor is given by DXG-595V, GVS is a bit less. Unfortunately, it is few examples DXG-595V indoor and i can't decide.
Is DXG-595V have LED? If yes - it should be better for me.

GO-HD costs TWICE less and it specifications is ideal for me, but samples... It looks disappointing. Picture is unfocused (see this and this). Maybe this videos was shot by another model, not GO-HD?

Please help me make a right choice!
PaulBunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:15 AM   #2

I'd look at it this way. The DXG is more expensive, but it seems to have a higher bit rate and the quality of your outside videos will be a little better.

On the other hand, the Aiptek is less expensive and can also deliver pretty good outdoor video -- and -- if you like the vertical form factor better, then the Aiptek offers that.

Otherwise... there's really not much to make either camera stand out.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:51 AM   #3

200.00 mark you're good to spend that on any three.

shop wisely and one can get a model for 99.99 never said NEW.

you want compact, the GO-HD you want bulkier , the GVS, you want bulkiest, the DXG

you want no issues, well least issues.

DXG

go second

GVS released too early.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4

I recently bought a refurbished "GO" for $99 and I'm very happy with it.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5

I found GO-HD for ~100$ here. I asked store's support by e-mail - they reply that it's brand new, not refurbished.
Private Idaho, or someone who have this cam, can you upload to Vimeo or other hosting some samples from your GO-HD? I'd want to see how automatic focusing works, especially in indoor scenes and moving objects (animals, children).

fishycomics, what do you mean when saying 'GVS released too early'?

Sorry for my bad English
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6

And another remark: shipping to Russia seriously minimize price differences between all cameras to me :?
In our stores on sale only one hybrid cam - DXG-566 analog for $200 and nothing else...
GO-HD from US will be cost $160-180.
GVS from german Otto catalog will be ~$250, but i will be spared the problems with mail and customs.
Anyway i will not be able to return camera to store, so the choice must be absolutely right :idea:
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:15 PM   #7

When one asks about a hybrid, I offer my advice. these are my comments and opinions.

when I say the GVS USA ver released to early , that is ment you will find issues, till they are worked out by the factory.

you are the gunea pig of testing these out while you pay the price.

B & H photo is a excellent place in the Big Apple NYC on 34th and 9th ave. be very careful when purchasing, not 100% sure on their return policy, even though you are going to purchae and keep due to situation.

I say look into aiptek.de the 500 300. video of the GO, wil be same as the Acvtion in 720p 30 f.

100 at B & H I believe will be refurbished or remanuafactured, and not new.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 3:45 PM   #8

Aiptek.de?
Pocket DV Z300 HD = 190.90EUR with delivery to me.
$250!!! For the 1.5 years old model.
No, thanks :lol:
I think it will better to order GVS from Otto or wait a month for shipping GO-HD from USA, no?
BTW, i think $100 is good price for that camera, even new.
Why it must be cost same as much more fresh models?
Aiptek Action High Definition 1080p is $139.46 at Walmart.
All prices is for online shops, i don't know how it is in real life
I understand all the risk of online purchasing, but nave not another way...

And please tell me, is GVS really looks cheaper (quality of plastic, case assembling) than A-HD and other older models as written in some reviews?

Quote:
video of the GO, wil be same as the Acvtion in 720p 30 f
May i interprete this as both Action HD and GVS also get misfocused picture in low-light scenes too?

In this case i start to think that Action HD is probably better choice for me - not overpaying for unstable product with same quality, but 1080 possibility in compare of GO-HD.

So what about DXG? I had a suspicion that it made with same electronic parts but have a little better optic. Is it true?

And a last question for today
I found just several original videos in mov from different cameras, and they allow to make more true opinion about image quality and technical capabilities of devices in comparison with Vimeo compressed videos. Where can i download more custom samples in mov? Only amateur, not official.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 5:31 AM   #9

Finally, I decide to order DXG-595V. Thank you all for reviews and advices. See u later at Vimeo
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:47 PM   #10

Heh... My attempt to order DXG-595v was failed. So I got a GO-HD+. Nice cam, but I have a chance to change it to european version of GVS(Z600).
Is it right that GVS better than GO-HD at almost all parameters? Or something important is better in GO-HD? Or missing in GVS (except LED lights and AV-in)?
What's the differences between US and european versions of GVS?

UPD. Big thanks to fishy, he answer for most of my stupid questions. But main question still opened: is Z600 a better choice than GO-HD, for low-light especially?

UPD2. And thanks to our moderator again
I left intentions for Z600. But what about Action HD?
Just want to get rid of audio noise and get a Full HD.