Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 26, 2008, 7:25 AM   #11

is walgreens still selling it for 200 usd?
is it in the stores or do you have to order it?
anywhere selling the A-HD 1080p for cheap? like, under 100?

kiyoshi_music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2008, 2:31 AM   #12

for walgreens.com - use coupon code CELEBRATE until jan1st to get $5 off.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:24 AM   #13

FISHYCOMICS---How does this camera rank compare to JAZZ HDV-178 and DXG 595 or the Sanyo 1010 and Sony TG1.

Also is there yet an ideal do it all HD Camcorder? I would like one video camera that takes great clear video outdoors and indoors under normal lighting, and if possible take nice blur free photos of kids/moving objects....is there such a thing yet. Even going up to canon hf100 or samsung hmx20?

My main concern is filiming in low/imperfect lighting, still shot capability as well as smooth moving clear images in video...which of the compacts above would be best.
This is not for pro use of course, I just want to take nice spontaneous video of the family/kids wherever we go...in home/malls/restaurants/musems/ the park/etc.

I just bought the GVS and indoors the camera video needs much more light than my casio exilim 750ex point in shoot camera.(7.1mpixel, MPEg4/Std Video/30FPS. There were times even with night shot on, you could not see anything on the GVS....yet my casio filmed just fine and you could still read a book in the ambient light.

All the indoor filming was grainy even with all lights on & windows open at mid day.
Outside was totally different. Much more clear and crisp....would either the Jazz or DXG be any better indoors?

Would something like a canon hf100 be a big improvement indoors?

aaronsnewcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:10 AM   #14

I bought my AIPTEK GVS for 199$ @ walgreens along with A-HD+ 1080p that was on sale for 99$ to compare.
Shipping was fast 3days and product drop ships directly from Aiptek in Irvine, CA.

I have been testing indoors./outdoors but weather has been bad so here is what I have seen so far :

GVS
ZOOM- very nice workable smooth zoom. really pulls in things in daylight much better than my trusty pocket camera ( casio exilim ex750- 7mpixel, 3x opticalzoom,mpeg4 standard video at 30FPS)

OUT DOOR VIDEO results with autofocus 1080p/30 in full day light----shoots very nice/clear/sharp video of scenery, buildings etc. Focus is quick but at times when While panning slowly, you can see the object well, but the edge of the scene "pops" into focus...it is not already in focus when it appears on screen. so it looks unnatural...However, Once you stop moving, the image was so sharp to me it was startling on my 1080p 42 lcd tv.
OUTDOOR STILL PHOTO RESULTS in FUll DAY LIGHT-

Taking photos of scenery, signs, building, parked cars or non moving objects -very nice useable pictures-looked as good as my digital camera (on a computer screen). Could definitely email them or even make a desktop background with it...print 8X10s. I am not sure...but I was definitely impressed. Seemed on par with my exilim.

Taking photos of anything living or moving...not so good. People sitting and posing..hit or miss. like the old instamatic camera days. Maybe 1 in 4 shots turns out OK, rest are blurry or partial blurring...and this is with an adult sitting still as they could and smiling...and me standing still as I could and using 2 hands. I would describe it as cell phone camera equivalent in that respect. If my exilim is

INDOOR VIDEO
Turned out ok, but grainy. Shot in my living room, and in a musuem.
'OK' meaning you could watch the video and record the moment, but not something that would look HD by any means.
Depending on light level, picture would go from passable to completelynoisy/grainy or dark> Picture quality seemed to drop of dropped of exponentially as light dropped. My exilim could record much less light present.

INDOOR PHOTOS with FLASH
Again non moving objects were fine, Photos with people were very hit or miss,
you have to be prepared to attempt take several pictures to get a good one. Indoors with flash I would rate it a 2./10 for shooting people and I would rate the casio as 8/10. With the casio, I take one photo and boom done, looks great. With the GVS you have to keep trying to till you get a useable/non blurred shot.

I will take for video today and post my thoughts...
SUMMARY
So far i would say this is an excellent pocket video cam if you plan on shooting home videos outdoors in good light. If you want to take perfect photos of people or moving things, bring your digital camera along.
If you must be able to shoot clear HD video indoors in normal lighting seek elsewhere or perhaps add on a video light.

I think I will use this as my quick pocket bring along cam for out door events and get a more heavy duty camera like the canon hf100 or samsung hmx20 for indoor or special event us...

I wonder how this compares to a sanyo 1010 or the SONY TG1

aaronsnewcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 4:49 PM   #15

i wish i knew the dimensions of the cameras.

the length x width x height in centimeters of:

a-hd 1080p
a-hd gvs

i just bought a sanyo hd100 because the LEDs make a HUUUUUUUGE difference when you are filming targets close up in low light
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:24 PM   #16

here is a viedo with some dead pixel in night shot mode.(aiptek Action HD GVS 1080P)it will only happen in night mode.is very hard to see it in 3'screen.if you use the monitor u can see alot of them. so please beware of them.so u can exchange it. i also got it from walgreen.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2LTPENZF
jo7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2009, 7:41 AM   #17

I was coming home and seen this at Burger King and just had to record it. :lol:

http://www.vimeo.com/2696297
Maxprime is offline   Reply With Quote