Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:41 AM   #11

1. quality or production, a company will protect the camera. less is done today leading to poor craftmanship.

again I said on the lens there may be lens film be careful if you are going to pick at it.

Offtopic

it is and posted in the review which you probably already seen. i'll fill in hte missing letters on hte pic let filter

That is the UV filter, I have shot before and now with.............

I notice that the video is fine with no roundness, picture shows roundness. washed out or not while here I best now shoot with and without.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:58 PM   #12

Sorry, I did not read the review, I saw earlier footage and decided not too. I however I am confused as to what you mean.

Is there any color difference or washout, etc, with and without he filter? If it is a plastic lens it might not affect much. Is the lens very good optically clear and pure condition, no condensation problems?

Have you got an infrared filter to try.

Is the film one that is meant to be taken off? I have slr lens that have no such film, instead it depends on a hard coating and is better to screw a crystal clear filter on to protect (unless you want even better).

Still color balance settings and exposure are other ways to improve the image. I put my monitor brightness down to 0 and the car footage still looks under-saturated. I will have an interesting time testing the HSHD to get around these problems. I might try to replace the lens too.

I bought the hshd purely because it gets greater latitude, and I hope I can get around the other problems. If you look at the Kodak Zi6, which I believe is the same sensor, you can see that the camera seems to strangely clip, leading to broad areas of white in extra bright areas. The HSHD has problems with red too, depending which software player/codec you use is how bad it is. Fishy, is the red so much when hooked to a TV? In the GVS, as with the 600, it seems to give up on the bright sky, is it clipping, or is it just run out of headroom (I worry about the color mask, because it seems to loss the color where it is a pastel blue (meaning all colors are active with the blue)). I saw this in the first clip we saw here from the 600, it seems worse than the AHD series, but maybe I am mistaken).

The HSHD has different faster lens than Kodak, and I suspect the setup is taking the extra light and not clipping as much. If you rely on negative gain, i think you can increase latitude. I will have to experiment to find out. The camera is like a toy for me, a fun practical toy hopefully to fill in to the next model.

I remember that the first Sanyo HD1, was horrendous in it's way, but handled/configured right it produced nice results, and here is hoping that we can learn to make the GVS footage much better to.

If you get to recalibrate in firmware update/setup screen, if might be worth seeing what you can do with the color, reds, and the sky's.

Merry Christmas.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 3:26 PM   #13

All great points.

thank you for the comment and concern.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote