Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:55 AM   #1

Does the plastic lens protector that comes on the lens of the camera ( like a screen protector ) effect the quality of the video?

I don't want to take it off if it doesnt .. since the camera doesnt have a cover for the lens and can scratch easily.... but if the plastic is effecting the quality .. i will rip it off

anyone? ... thanks
insaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:05 AM   #2

I don't think so.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:06 AM   #3

anyone know for sure?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4

the lens protecter: is og glass. and if you remove. will you expose to dust and dirt, yes.

if replacing with a filter. I would just find what is best fitted, like I did with the GVS model.

what model are you referring to

insaini wrote:
Quote:
Does the plastic lens protector that comes on the lens of the camera ( like a screen protector ) effect the quality of the video?

I don't want to take it off if it doesnt .. since the camera doesnt have a cover for the lens and can scratch easily.... but if the plastic is effecting the quality .. i will rip it off

anyone? ... thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5

i just bought the Insiginia HD Camcorder from best buy ... and the video quality isnt as great as ive seen on some you tube postings and reviews .. so i thought it might be .. because of the plastic protecting on the lens?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:41 AM   #6

1 they used to place plastic film over hte lens, so do not try pickingat it.

2. is it possable since we have to guess, your macro is ON LOL see if the switch is on the mountail. down position,

I place a tab on the useless macro.

that will be the issue I am sure.

so wonder if a vid sample will be needed
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7

lol no i checked the macro settings .. its ok ...

i guess maybe i juust need to try doing the test outside . since the sample videos were done outdoor and see if that might be the situation ... might just be the low light indoors ... il post after a few more test

thanks
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:52 AM   #8

default cam if needed a excellent cam in any situation lolw level as well. for hte budget
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:00 PM   #9

I don't know the one you refer to, but many plastic lift off films that are not meant to stay on a product have bad optical qualities, and can make footage seem like it is through fog and out of focus. So, access if it is supposed to stay on there.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:14 PM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
¬*if replacing with a filter. I would just find what is best fitted, like I did with the¬* GVS model.
Fishy, I have seen your recent samples, what filter did you use? Depending on the type of filter, this can drastically affect the quality of footage.

I might be worth holding an ir and UV filters up over the lens of these cameras, to find if they have these filters internally. Without such filters images can be washed out, and latitude can be reduced. Other filters change the color balance getting through or affect optical quality in different ways. I wonder if they swapped from plastic to Glass elements, i think plastic filters UV and glass does not, so requires a special filter, that might explain a few things we are seeing in the recent Aiptek cameras. In that case, and IR filter might also be worth trying.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote