Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:09 PM   #1

Hi,

I want to buy this HD camcorder and I can find it for $235. I see that it is same like DXG 595(6)V, but I really want to get any info about this camcorder from any owner of exactly this model and brand. Is it totally with same capabilities as DXG 595V and if there is any little difference, I want you to share it here.

Also, I have another important question: in the specifications of the most hibryd camcorders is written "Up to 30fps at 1080p, up to 60fps at 720p". So, what does this "up" mean? Are there any other framerate settings less than 30/60fps, for example 25, 24fps, etc.???

Thanks in advance to everyone who shares impressions and help in this topic!
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2008, 3:37 PM   #2

the framerate is pretty much set to 30 and 60. It doesn't really mean you an record anything you want in between. Of course, you can always change the fps during editing and obtain nice fluid low motion. Even from a SD 30fps hybrid... :|
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:37 PM   #3

up to 30 fps will mean you have no control of the cam, 3o fps(NTSC) 25fps (PAL)

video will vary due to info and that info gives you the Up to frame rate...........

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2008, 5:47 PM   #4

Usually when they say 'up to 30fps' it may be referring to the fact that in low light it might reduce the framerate slightly to compensate for the longer exposure time of each frame. In normal good lighting conditions it should give you the full 30fps.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:53 AM   #5

Actually, after all the specifications comparison, I see no any difference between HD-8Z and DXG596V. Absolutely same characteristics and functions!!!

I watched the eight videos taken by HD-8Z in Vimeo, but they are all espoecially macro or static.

So, if there is someone owning Japan SPEED HD-8Z, please for more outdoor and indoor video samples soon!!!

Any help is appreciated!
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:40 PM   #6

Hey, I own the Speed HD-8Z camcorder,
My entire reel and all the projects in it were from this cam: http://vimeo.com/5132378

The camera records great 720P 60fps footage and has AMAZING macro abilities, I can narrow in on a single hair on my arm and see reflections on a drop of water. Unfortunately it can't record at 24fps, if it could, then this camera would be everything you could possibly need.

Hope this helps!

- Sean

Last edited by seanbabas; Oct 17, 2009 at 8:23 AM.
seanbabas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:26 AM   #7

Just ordered this camcorder and yes, it's you basic little tool and it will get the job done but it for it's price it will be put to good use. With this in mind I use it to record my youngest class B-day and the actual B-day at home. Well, when I down load it to the computer, First, it is in Mov. file format which I really do not desire, second it is Choppy.

OK I bought the store brand card (Micro Center 8GB SDHC class 6) which may not actually be a real class 6 from what I read in some other threads and may be the cause of the choppy video. But I am wondering what you guys use and recommend or have any recommendations?

Is it the Mov. File.
Is it the software? Both XP and Vista with same software is Choppy.
Is it the SDHC card?

Help, I really would like to use this Camcorder.
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 2:58 PM   #8

Hi and welcome Gadget Guy.

I don't suspect it's the SD card, eventhough I don't know that brand. Usually choppy videos are because either the PC/MAC isn't powerful enough or it's a codec issue. It seems as if you have a codec issue, unless you have an old Intel P3 or P4 PC with an obsolete graphic card. The .MOV is just a container of video made by Apple. The OS itself shouldn't be an issue in your case. My guess is it's the h.264/MPEG4 codec that's missing in your system. There's a free h.264 codec called x264. Use this with Media Player Classic and your videos should play smoothly. To make it easy install the K-Lite codec pack(basic) from http://free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

Last edited by adalfa; Sep 17, 2009 at 3:08 PM.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:46 PM   #9

Thank Adalfa, I have it on my Desktop which is 4 years old, but I also have it on my Lenovo X200t with plenty of power and 4gigs of memory and I thought I would not have any problems with that, but that is where I discovered the problem. I also though it was the codec, but I did download one, but did not work so I unistalled. I will give yours a try. I will keep you posted.
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 4:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
Thank Adalfa, I have it on my Desktop which is 4 years old, but I also have it on my Lenovo X200t with plenty of power and 4gigs of memory and I thought I would not have any problems with that, but that is where I discovered the problem. I also though it was the codec, but I did download one, but did not work so I unistalled. I will give yours a try. I will keep you posted.
Give VLC Player a try:

http://www.videolan.org/

If the video plays back on the camcorder fine, then it's not the memory card and is merely a PC/Laptop playback issue.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote