Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 28, 2008, 7:36 PM   #1

Here is a list of what I need/ looking for.

Record in car camera with a remote mounted camers-- (already own pencil cam)

Record from a VHS or 8mm to convert old family tapes to DVD,

I already bought an Aiptek A-HD 720 cam corder, it works great BUT when recording a VHS tape or 8mm tape it quits recording.

Every time there is a gap in the recording it does not see a signal and stops recording. I cannot sit through 30 VHS tapes to keep this going, I need a camera that will record and stay recording even if there is no signal to record. I tried this on a VHS and 8mm machines and it does the same thing.

I recorded from a DVD movie and it worked, it is just the homemade movies with gaps in them that it does not keep recording on.

Hope this makes sense, maybe there is something out there that people have that will work.

Anyone else trying to convert old family movis have this problem.

Thanks

Grant.

gbracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:50 PM   #2

As descussed

a signal causing to stop.

solution do not hit the vcr button problem resolved
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 8:59 PM   #3

Sounds like you are trying to use the same device for two totally different things.

To convert your VHS or 8mm tapes, why not buy an analog capture card or device more suited to the purpose such as from Pinnacle or Dazzle for your PC? They are not that expensive and since you have 30 VHS tapes (and possibly 8mm tapes as well since you do mention 8mm!) it would be worth the cost in my opinion. They don't quit when there are gaps in your recording plus they often include appropriate software to edit and clean up your captured video, as well as outputting to a suitable media such as DVD. They cost about the same as a cheap hybrid.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2008, 9:30 PM   #4

I am not touching the vcr when there is a "gap"in the footage the camera (aiptek)stops recording. I don't touch anything.

I will look into an analog capture card.

I was hopeing the Aiptek would do both since they advertise it can record from a vhs surley when a vhs is playing even if there is no image there is a signal comming out of it, like when you watch a vhs on a tv you get a blue screen even that is some sort of a signal why does it shut down??

I guess the aiptek shuts down to save storage space since no one wants to record blank media, it just needs to wait a bit before shuting down. the gaps are not even 1 second long it's just a blip in the recording from when the cam corder was turned on or off or you shot a new scene.

What will it do on audio every time there is a pause in sound ie when talking?

Other than this problem I am impressed with the quality of the recording, it blows the sony camera I have away. and at 1/5th the cost.

Grant.

gbracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 6:32 AM   #5

hmmm got to see, when the time permits.

something simple it is I am sure.

a vid again was shown, other Hybrids will flaw, and rgv.... points the direction, Pcs do come with caption cards, if allowed video recording if not a dvd recorder set top

another way that members went about was to find a silent room and film off the tv.

gbracer wrote:

Quote:
I am not touching the vcr when there is a "gap"in the footage the camera (aiptek)stops recording. I don't touch anything.

I will look into an analog capture card.

I was hopeing the Aiptek would do both since they advertise it can record from a vhs surley when a vhs is playing even if there is no image there is a signal comming out of it, like when you watch a vhs on a tv you get a blue screen even that is some sort of a signal why does it shut down??

I guess the aiptek shuts down to save storage space since no one wants to record blank media, it just needs to wait a bit before shuting down. the gaps are not even 1 second long it's just a blip in the recording from when the cam corder was turned on or off or you shot a new scene.

What will it do on audio every time there is a pause in sound ie when talking?

Other than this problem I am impressed with the quality of the recording, it blows the sony camera I have away. and at 1/5th the cost.

Grant.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote