Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:23 PM   #1

Greetings Everyone:

Would anyone kindly add their predictions of which new Camcorders will show

up at CES 2009.

My Predictions:

1. OEM Camcorder company will unveil the first HD Pocket Camcorder that
can upload a 3 minute video to YouTube, via a WiFi network.

2. Sony will have competition by another OEM Camcorder company developing
the first full HD(1920 X 1080) pocket Camcorder for less than $500.00US.

3. Either Aiptek or DXG will unveil the first HD Pocket Camcorder with integrated
LCD projector.

What are your predictions for CES 2009?

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:40 PM   #2

I can't see number 3 being a reality as it would make it too expensive and to be honest I wouldn't buy it. I don't like devices being integrated in this way for relaibility reasons. It's one reason I won't buy a TV/DVD combo for instance.

I would like to see Sanyo produce an improved HD700. 1280x720 is enough for me. The HD800 was a disappointment. If they improved the lens and low light characteristics on the HD700, I'd definitely give them a second chance.

I am still looking for a good little 1280x720 camcorder that doesn't have some silly little flaw. They all seem to have something wrong with them.

I really wish Jazz would take the Jazz HDV178 and create a mk II version. Improve the bitrate or change the codec to improve the video quality a bit more and fix the frame dropping that I have noticed occurring in my videos. Seems just as I get to like a camera, I notice an annoying flaw!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:54 PM   #3

I don't really know, but 1080p60, maybe Sanyo will use ambarella again in next Sanyo model (maybe announced in January/feb/march). 3D is possible (still trying to find where to buy that 3D tablet with 3D camera) true 1080p30 resolution for handheld, and maybe p60 for bigger camera. SHD talk is a thin possibility (they need cameras and BD movies to sell those SHD sets screens they can make) but without screens maybe not but maybe not a ambarella pocket sized camera. 6mpixel+ SHD video with possibility of 3D in a cargo pants sized pocket possible talk (but official announcement is in April) for less than $5000 base price (higher res version also possible). I estimate that 8mpixel+ sensors might come out with true 1080p cameras. Somebody might try the Sony 6 mpixel sensor in a HD pocket (through I think somebody might already be doing it).

For true 1080p and 1080p60. Ambarella's base line seems to be approximately 6mb/s per 60 mpixels a second. So true HD will likely be between 6-12mb/s, but maybe as much as 16-18mb/s and p60 1440*1080 HD similar. There is the possibility it will go higher, but most likely in bigger more expensive cameras (such as in the league of the Samsung).

I would be surprised if an announcement, even for March to May release was not made then or in January.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 3:32 AM   #4

Joy:

This company is claiming to be doing FULL HD, 1920*1080. I don't know it is valid or not but worth checking out. I forgot to mention 8mpixel + for CES.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-JAPAN-DX5...:B:SRCH:AU:101

Notice they are claiming that lovely giant LCD is only 2.5inches.

Here is the bigger version. I wonder what the data rate is for 1080p and 720p?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-JAPAN-8Z-...:B:SRCH:AU:101
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:51 AM   #5

Greetings Wayne12:

Well, Well, if this Camcorder is true to the fact that it creates video at
1920 X 1080, then this means that my prediction #2 has been answered.

Its just days into the New Year and my predictions are becoming fact, WOW.

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 9:11 AM   #6

sept2008 Aiptek releases theirfirst 1920x1080 model.

RobMtl007 wrote:
Quote:

Greetings Wayne12:

Well, Well, if this Camcorder is true to the fact that it creates video at
1920 X 1080, then this means that my prediction #2 has been answered.

Its just days into the New Year and my predictions are becoming fact, WOW.

Regards Robert
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:02 AM   #7

Well I don't believe the Japan DX5 has full 1920x1080 video resolution. Most ebayers will write anything to sell their goods. Of course, I don't know for sure that this hybrid doesn't have full HD, as I don't own one and never heard of the brand or model. One thing that's fake is the large image pasted over the lcd screen, making the screen look larger than it really is. If you look at the smaller wide image, which shows the cam in different angles, you can clearly see that the lcd is smaller and has some writing at the top.

Another thing is, if this hybrid does indeed have 1920 full HD it's of no use. With a 5mp CMOS sensor and low video bitrate, your footage will definantly gonna suffer from severe rolling shutter and compression artifacts. Oh yeah it has EIS, but we all know what that's worth.

I know i have a very pessimistic view but that's my experience with ebay:G

Anyway, great find Wayne. I can't wait to see what cameras are going to be reveal at CES '09.

Late Happy New Year to you all.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:12 AM   #8

Does Aiptek do 1920*1080 like the Sanyo, not 1440*1080? I must have missed this, or forgotten it.

Adalfa and Rob, exactly right. I was being cautious because I have seen ebayers advertise Japan speed cameras doing 1080i before, but they were only 720p camera that had 1080i video connections. I went to their web site and found that the last new update was in 2007 and not a sign of new cameras, though global sources has some.

I suspect that the website linked to from global sources is an old site.

I have done some more digging around, new cameras in march from Samsung and Aiptek. Aiptek will have better video format. I suspect Sanyo will be int here too. Adalfa, is Japan the company you meant with fullHD in the first place.

It was evident some things were up, first the DXG 595v and then the camera Aldi sells has improved features over that again (from memory, they have a web site, different quality shooting modes).

If that Japan is that small, it might be small enough for Paris Hilton's Chiwawa to use as a shoulder cam .
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:55 AM   #9

YES

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Does Aiptek do 1920*1080 like the Sanyo, not 1440*1080? I must have missed this, or forgotten it.

Adalfa and Rob, exactly right. I was being cautious because I have seen ebayers advertise Japan speed cameras doing 1080i before, but they were only 720p camera that had 1080i video connections. I went to their web site and found that the last new update was in 2007 and not a sign of new cameras, though global sources has some.

I suspect that the website linked to from global sources is an old site.

I have done some more digging around, new cameras in march from Samsung and Aiptek. Aiptek will have better video format. I suspect Sanyo will be int here too. Adalfa, is Japan the company you meant with fullHD in the first place.

It was evident some things were up, first the DXG 595v and then the camera Aldi sells has improved features over that again (from memory, they have a web site, different quality shooting modes).

If that Japan is that small, it might be small enough for Paris Hilton's Chiwawa to use as a shoulder cam .
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2009, 9:37 AM   #10

Greetings Everyone:

Is there anyone who will buy this Japan DX5 Camcorder so as to confirm

if the camcorder is a true 1920 X 1080?

Also has anyone seen any video on Vimeo or YouTube created by this
camcorder.

I have done research and this camcorder does not show up on Alibaba's
Product Directory.

Also searched for the website of "Japan Speed Digital" the camcorder's
brand name and did not find anything.

If anyone has insiders information it would be great to know more