Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 30, 2008, 3:28 PM   #1

Just finished testing this Aiptek "A/V input" feature, which really isn't a feature because it doesn't work.

Any time there's a flaw in the VHS tape's control track, the flaw causes the Aiptek to stop recording. There's no correction for any of the flaws normally found in analog video cassettes. So the quality of the recording is often much worse than watching the playback of the cassette tape itself.

This feature is completely worthless, in my humble opinion.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:19 PM   #2

Resolution of the Action HD 640x480 sound in stereo .

I hear what you're saying and well if you're gonna set the Action to record in AV in and the Source is a POOR quality. I do not expect it to be TOP notch.:G

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Just finished testing this Aiptek "A/V input" feature, which really isn't a feature because it doesn't work.

Any time there's a flaw in the VHS tape's control track, the flaw causes the Aiptek to stop recording. There's no correction for any of the flaws normally found in analog video cassettes. So the quality of the recording is often much worse than watching the playback of the cassette tape itself.

This feature is completely worthless, in my humble opinion.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:32 PM   #3

I'd be willing to bet the feature may not even work well if one were to feed a pristine VHS signal into it.

Walgreens charges $25 to transfer a VHS to DVD. That's what I'm going to do. Enough of this messing around with "A/V input" and USB 2.0 digitizers and DVD recorders and cables and headaches and control track breaks and... well... you get the picture.

I just got rid of a bunch of old VHS tapes that I no longer treasure. Put 'em in the dumpster. Good to be rid of them.

From now on... I work with decent quality digital material. No more analog-to-digital stress.

If one goes to the AMAZON Web site and reads about the customer satisfaction for virtually all of these digitizers, it's an abomination. There's widespread pain and expense no matter which device one chooses.

The only thing that really works is the same thing that worked for me when I worked for the local TV station... a time base corrector and a frame synchronizer... THAT WORKS when it comes to old VHS. I use a Canopus digitizer at work now and it's great, but expensive.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2008, 6:37 AM   #4

PC hybrid camcorder outdoors. LOW BUDGET.

enjoiy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote