Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:16 AM   #21

The MHS-PM1 looks awesome with a swiveling lens. I think in terms of video quality it's gonna be like the MinoHD, VadoHD, Kodak etc. Too bad neither of the products are available here in Europe. I do hope they will get an European release.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:05 AM   #22

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I wonder why this one has a removable battery while the one that looks like a regular camcorder doesn't.
I suspect Sony wants to make sure that the "regular" device doesn't cut into sales of its "regular" camcorders too much, and so they decided to cripple the cheaper recorder in ways which would not affect the low-end user, but would affect the prosumer.

Remember that the "regular" version has a much better lens, and much better low-light capabilities than the 'Flip competitor'.

My first reaction was that I could use the webbie as a backup for my Canon HF100's, but the 3 hour battery on the HF100 has moved them into a different class. Also, at the HF100's new $520 price point, the extra features of the Canon really are worth paying twice the money for. To me. But my (hypothetical) daughter probably would draw a different conclusion:?
(my real daughter has an HF100 and operates a business making YouTube videos and DVDs )

Incidentally, I don't see the two new Canons as being any significant improvement on the HF100 series. In fact, the specs show that they perform worse on low light (1lux vs 2 lux vs 4 lux). In the case of the HF-S100 I think that is due to the 8 megapixel sensor (rather than the video-optimized 1920x1080 sensor of the HF100). IMO they have traded still photography performance for video performance, which for me, is of little interest...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 3:09 PM   #23

Fry's has this camera in today's flier for a whopping $2 off the $199 price. :lol: But I may drive over and do a hands on. I would probably replace the Aiptek A-HD+ with one if it can do better video. Memory sticks aren't that expensive at Fry's either. Fishy, you bought one yet? Hybrids seem to be your hobby so we're waiting for your review. :-)
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 4:58 PM   #24

OK, back from my weekly Fry's fix. Cool little camera and the clerk actually knew things about it (that can be very rare). It's about the size of the A-HD+, maybe just a scoosh bigger. The optical zoom worked nice. I did try to put it in a shaded area to get an idea of how well it performed in low light but the cable was a little short to get it in a good place to do that (the rack of accesories next to the camera an put it under some of them where light was cut off). Hard to tell with the viewfinder how much shutter roll there might be. We'll have to wait for the first fool .... er I mean user to put up some footage. If good I would be very tempted to get one to hold me off for the ..... Red.

PS: Sony may have gotten a clue.

Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:22 PM   #25

Here is a review with a couple of video samples:

http://www.michaelsmith.tv/2009/01/2...1-full-review/

It seems that the only advantage of the Sony over the Aiptek's is the Stereo Sound and slightly better zoom otherwise the bitrate for the 720p and 1080p video modes are basically the same. You can also see the infamous rolling shutter quite clearly on these shots. The main disadvantage of course, is that they don't have a removable battery plus they use Sony memory sticks (which may not be a negative if you have other Sony devices). The video also looks the same as the Aipteks. It doesn't look like they are using an Ambarella chip either if medioinfo is to be believed.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 7:53 AM   #26

I have ordered two of these adapters which convert microSDHC to MS PRO Duo.
I will post whether they work when they arrive in a week or two.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.d...177~r.96035782

(I have bought from this dealer before, hey, they're cheap and the product is usually something like the advertisement :lol

I see that the "Time Remaining" display shows 8 hours for a 16 gig stick in that review. If this (and the newer fixed-focus webbie) does that much time continuous recording then I will be buying one, no other questions asked It has a power input jack so I can run off battery pack for longer recordings

http://www.michaelsmith.tv/wp-conten..._hd_screen.jpg

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:54 AM   #27

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
I have ordered two of these adapters which convert microSDHC to MS PRO Duo.
I will post whether they work when they arrive in a week or two.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12177~r.96035782

(I have bought from this dealer before, hey, they're cheap and the product is usually something like the advertisement :lol

I see that the "Time Remaining" display shows 8 hours for a 16 gig stick in that review. If this (and the newer fixed-focus webbie) does that much time continuous recording then I will be buying one, no other questions asked It has a power input jack so I can run off battery pack for longer recordings

http://www.michaelsmith.tv/wp-conten..._hd_screen.jpg
You know I never thought of the possibility of an adaptor for MicroSD to a Sony Memory Stick! Now that Olympus Cameras also have MicroSD Adaptors for their cards, and Fuji have switched over to SD completely for their latest cameras, it seems SD domination is finally complete :lol:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #28

Thanks for the links to the review and the video. Yup, it sure suffers from from rolling shutter or what I would call "drunken video." :lol: Looking at the clips with AVinaptic it doesn't show that it is the Ambarella chip and probably Sony's own technology. As for the memory sticks I do have some of those around having a PSP and done some PSP development. Oh and of course also owning a Sony HC1 camcorder.

Old Mar 13, 2009, 6:51 PM   #29

I have one of these(Sony MHS-CM1) coming this week I should have a few samples for on here by about Wednesday.

I got it for only $150 with a free sony case on ebay after live cashback. I gave up on my Aiptek and now Im seeking a better brand.

and I love the color orange.....:lol:
oopsypoopsy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2009, 7:01 PM   #30

new topicreview sample please when achance is had. or I shall beforced to go get one LOL congrads

oopsypoopsy04 wrote:
Quote:
I have one of these(Sony MHS-CM1) coming this week I should have a few samples for on here by about Wednesday.

I got it for only $150 with a free sony case on ebay after live cashback. I gave up on my Aiptek and now Im seeking a better brand.

and I love the color orange.....:lol:
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote