Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:17 AM   #11

I remember back in 1999, when I had to deal with DV-AVI and also some MJPEG files on a Pentium II 450Mhz pc with 256MB of ram. The graphic card was a S3 ViRGE. Oh Man! I had loads of frame drops and not to mentioned stuttering video. My point is that there will always(almost) be this hardware issue when a new technology is put out. Being 3D games, video format, software(in general) and so on. I'm in almost exact situation as back then. My C2D 2Ghz with an older ATI chip, almost or barely handles editing but not playing smoothly. Though the difference now as opposed to back then(1999), there are hardware available that CAN handle all of today's video formats and variants.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:21 AM   #12

Right.

I'm not having any problem at all editing H.264 with my Mac mini. I either export to my Apple TV or to standard definition DVD.

I think these hybrid cams are nice in that -- while they don't shoot great HD -- their video *can* look pretty good after being downconverted to standard definition DVD.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:24 AM   #13

By the way, here's a link to Panasonic's AVC-Intra codec:

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/e...technology.php
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:50 AM   #14

Nice find Private. I didn't know such an variant of AVC existed. Obviously this is a format for pro's but maybe we'll see a consumer variant of the AVC-Intra with I guess lower bitrates and other limitations.
adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:13 PM   #15

Actually I willl travel at times with the setup. :shock:

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
What's wrong with a regular MiniDV Camera? It's not like you need to travel with it, so size isn't an issue (Not that they are that big now anyway). Sure you have to capture them in realtime but 30-60 minutes is hardly forever plus they are cheap now.
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:17 PM   #16

If I had that kind of money, I doubt I'd be here in the hybrid section. :?

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
And if you want high definition, you can spend the big bucks for Panasonic's "AVC-Intra" format. It's an I-Frame format of HD H.264... so it's easy to edit... like the DV tape-based format.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:33 PM   #17

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Actually I willl travel at times with the setup. :shock:

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
What's wrong with a regular MiniDV Camera? It's not like you need to travel with it, so size isn't an issue (Not that they are that big now anyway). Sure you have to capture them in realtime but 30-60 minutes is hardly forever plus they are cheap now.
I still think a miniDV would be better suited for your purpose. They are as cheap as hybrids now, record up to 90 minutes in LP mode and are still portable.

Anything with MJPEG is going to be limited in recording time by the 4GB limit. Of course so is any format, but MPEG4 or h264 will easily fit the length you require in the same space.

What kind of system do you have anyway? My old 600mhz P3 system is able to play standard definition video from both my Sanyo C40 and my Aiptek MPVR or PVR.

What is the final format that you intend to convert to? Are you planning to only play them back on the PC or are you intending to convert to DVD in which case you'd still have the conversion time problem.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2009, 9:23 AM   #18

If enough consumers demand a low-cost camcorder featuring Panasonic's AVC-Intra format, then I suspect Panasonic would deliver such a product.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:29 AM   #19

Sorry guys, been busy.

Final format(s) will be in some cases online streaming and others DVD.

Mini-DV seems like an option, but that to me is like sending money into the past.

I'll work with what I have for the next little while and since so much is coming out fast and furious, I'd like to see what comes out.

I'd like to see more of the hybrids offer a microphone input, but then again, a microphone input that is crappy and is so sensitive that it clips SUPER easy is not worth it.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 10:21 AM   #20

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Sorry guys, been busy.

Final format(s) will be in some cases online streaming and others DVD.

Mini-DV seems like an option, but that to me is like sending money into the past.

I'll work with what I have for the next little while and since so much is coming out fast and furious, I'd like to see what comes out.

I'd like to see more of the hybrids offer a microphone input, but then again, a microphone input that is crappy and is so sensitive that it clips SUPER easy is not worth it.
Yes I can sympathize with what you say about spending money on miniDV I was thinking if it was urgent then it would be a good option though it sounds as though that may not be the case.

As to clipping, I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem with general voice conversations since it seems that this tends to occur when in a noisy or loud environment.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote