Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1

Are there any Hybrid cameras that use the MJPEG Codec?

If there are, please post the details. The only thing I can find is MPEG4 stuff.

Thanks.
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:40 PM   #2

The Canon Powershot TX1 uses MJPEG

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:02 PM   #3

Thanks. I knew this one... eheh

I wasn't sure if this fit into the forum and I am really curious if there are any such as AIptek, etc.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
The Canon Powershot TX1 uses MJPEG

Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:39 PM   #4

Until the TX1 came along there were no hybrids (that I know off anyway) that used MJPEG. The problem with MJPEG is that it is not as efficient in use of space for memory card devices and in the early days of hybrids, flash memory was at a premium.

The difference in quality between MJPEG and MPEG4/h264 is not great enough to offset its disadvantage in its use space and this is important since even though memory cards are much larger now, there is still a 4GB limit until they agree on another filing system to replace FAT32.

Even Canon Digital cameras are now starting to drop MJPEG in favor of h264. One other advantage of MJPEG is that it may be easier to edit but now that editors can cope with h264/mpeg that advantage has disappeared for the amateur.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 9:37 PM   #5

To me this all relative:

MPEG4 is still a nightmare to edit even on my dual core system and too many of the MPEG4 output options are is such a high resolution that I don't need. (I'm sticking with 720 x 480 for what I do, at this time.) Converting/Conversion wastes additional time.

I don't have any 640 x 480 options around me, but I am still wondering if I should shoot in 640 x 480 and wait some more, but I'd prefer not to step backwards.

I hate how camcorder and computer people aren't talking. I once fell for the MPeg2 option (out of sync audio and editing.. another nightmare.) They they come out with MPeg4 and computers can't handle it. Most of society still don't have High-Def TVs. I know it's how things are heading/going, but I hate the corner I'm in.

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Until the TX1 came along there were no hybrids (that I know off anyway) that used MJPEG. The problem with MJPEG is that it is not as efficient in use of space for memory card devices and in the early days of hybrids, flash memory was at a premium.

The difference in quality between MJPEG and MPEG4/h264 is not great enough to offset its disadvantage in its use space and this is important since even though memory cards are much larger now, there is still a 4GB limit until they agree on another filing system to replace FAT32.

Even Canon Digital cameras are now starting to drop MJPEG in favor of h264. One other advantage of MJPEG is that it may be easier to edit but now that editors can cope with h264/mpeg that advantage has disappeared for the amateur.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:08 PM   #6

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Are there any Hybrid cameras that use the MJPEG Codec?

If there are, please post the details. The only thing I can find is MPEG4 stuff.

Thanks.
I understand what you are saying. I have a decent rig, and performing more than simple cuts and recompression takes forever with H.264, even at SD quality.

Nothing like good old DV or even MJPEG.

Another option: Panasonic LX3
1280x720 using MJPEG compression.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Someone that can understand my pain.. eheh

I did look at the LX3, but it has a 10 minute video limit. (Even if I record in the WVGA 848x480 mode.)

I do some talking head videos and some can be 30-60 minutes.

And, to take it up a notch, I really want to get 3 cameras, one on me, one on my interviewee and one that shoots both of us. (This is for interviews.)

subc wrote:
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I have a decent rig, and performing more than simple cuts and recompression takes forever with H.264, even at SD quality.

Nothing like good old DV or even MJPEG.

Another option: Panasonic LX3
1280x720 using MJPEG compression.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:53 AM   #8

welcome to the world of Hi definition

not just updating the cam. updating everything else. can be costly

very new andvery expensive.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:30 AM   #9

TheSkillionaire wrote:
Quote:
Someone that can understand my pain.. eheh

I did look at the LX3, but it has a 10 minute video limit. (Even if I record in the WVGA 848x480 mode.)

I do some talking head videos and some can be 30-60 minutes.

And, to take it up a notch, I really want to get 3 cameras, one on me, one on my interviewee and one that shoots both of us. (This is for interviews.)
What's wrong with a regular MiniDV Camera? It's not like you need to travel with it, so size isn't an issue (Not that they are that big now anyway). Sure you have to capture them in realtime but 30-60 minutes is hardly forever plus they are cheap now.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:07 AM   #10

And if you want high definition, you can spend the big bucks for Panasonic's "AVC-Intra" format. It's an I-Frame format of HD H.264... so it's easy to edit... like the DV tape-based format.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote