Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 18, 2009, 9:19 AM   #1

Hi guys, first post here although I've been reading the Hybrid forum with great interest.
I got a Praktica 5.1HD for my birthday. It was just too good a price to pass up at £90. I just tried converting about 2 mins worth of 720p film to AVI with the supplied software and ended up with a 5oddGig file! That wouldn't be too bad as I didn't use any compressin codecs but when I played the film in Media Player the sound was fine but the film was in slow mo (could be my laptop but it's a dual core centrino with a gig of RAM and it's never stuggled with any video before. It also has a dedicated Radeon X1400 with 256Meg of ram).
I'm used to editing with Premiere which is what I will probably use but I need something to convert the HD to AVI or something similar after before or after editing. For anyone that isn't sure the cam uses the H.264 format. Oh, I want to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio too.
Thanks in advance
Simon
EDIT. I got the Presto software to save my clips as DIVX and at maximum settings they come out real good. It keeps the aspect ratio and keeps the sound at full quality (such as it is). I noticed that a lot of you guys were having noise issues with the DXG 595V and the 595. Well, apart from the zoom (which isn't too bad), I get no other noise from my cam. I'm using an Integral Ultima Pro (class 6). Cost me £12.99 for an 8Gig with free post worldwide. That's from My Memory in case anyone is interested.
DaddySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2

I am not sure what you are asking. You seem to be asking how to convert to AVI yet you already did albeit without using a compression codec. Does the software not allow you to choose one? AVI is just a container. An uncompressed movie will not play very well since it will have a huge bitrate compared to a compressed movie.

I use the freeware 'Super' from www.erightsoft.com to convert between various formats. Does Premiere not load h264 files natively? I used Magix Movie Edit as do others here and it handles h264 natively.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:02 AM   #3

Sorry, I didn't ask very clearly. I was wanting to convert h.264 to something that would play well in a player other than Quicktime. I don't know why my brain was even attempting to do it without compression :?
I haven't used Premiere for ages but I would sincerely hope it imports raw h.264.
Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:43 AM   #4

your camera will come with software.

some cams do and don't. ifyou notice some of us usemagix pro movieediter 12, 12 plus, 14, 14 plusetc

some of us use a converter that were given with limitations and some without

Some of us have watched give away of the day that offers FREE programs that the software needs activation within 24 hours. with no limitations of a trial.

any of these are Converters and how you go about it.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 1:01 PM   #5

DaddySi wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't ask very clearly. I was wanting to convert h.264 to something that would play well in a player other than Quicktime. I don't know why my brain was even attempting to do it without compression :?
I haven't used Premiere for ages but I would sincerely hope it imports raw h.264.
Thanks
Why not convert the files to Windows Media Format if you just want to play them on a Windows PC?. It's a variant of MPEG-4 which is much less taxing on the hardware than h264.

Most editing programs these days export to Windows Media Format and Super will do it as well.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:19 PM   #6

My delima at times and I hate it is that Quicktime on the Pc windows dos notshow a thumbnail of its video. maybe it does but i do not have it.

There is an alternitive and Aiptek given the disk. loaded it changesal quicktime files to WMP files
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2009, 2:51 PM   #7

Thanks guys.
It's ok though. I really was just not thinking straight. Guess it's coz I'm not used to using HD sources. I make DVD's all the time so I'm used to converting files.
When I make my clips into DVD's or VCD's I'll use Premiere to import it raw or if I've already saved them, they will be in windows format for storage. i.e. DIVX AVI's.
The cam came with Presto and that easily converts 720p to DIVX without losing any real noticeable quality. In fact, the compressed DIVX's look better than the .mov files do through quicktime.
Fortunately the card reader and the DVD ROM on my laptop are failing and it's got an extended warranty. It cost over a grand when it was new 18 or so months ago and will be written off rather than repaired so I'll be able to get a nice powerhouse laptop to replace it.
Now I just need to find a nice cheap USB capture device so I can stream from the cam too.
They (DVC 5.1 HD/DXG 595) are really great cams. I've been using mine a day and have some great clips of my 6 month old daughter and some lovely stills. I'm finding that it takes stills almost as good as my FinePix A400 (4.1MP CCD) which suprised me.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:56 PM   #8

I've been looking at these lately. Nothing I can see wins "hands down".

DaddySi wrote:
Quote:
Now I just need to find a nice cheap USB capture device so I can stream from the cam too....
TheSkillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote