Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:39 AM   #1

Does anybody know a hybrid hd camcorder which is able to record video at 24p or 25p ??? Don't know why all of them record at 30/60 fps only?!?
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:40 AM   #2

NTSC or PAl are settings in cam.

i wonder if that converts when choosen?

producer wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know a hybrid hd camcorder which is able to record video at 24p or 25p ??? Don't know why all of them record at 30/60 fps only?!?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:43 AM   #3

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
NTSC or PAl are┬* settings in cam.

┬*i wonder if that converts┬* when choosen?
Isn't that just for the TV-out signal?
parnuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 8:50 AM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
NTSC or PAl are settings in cam.

i wonder if that converts when choosen?

producer wrote:
Quote:
As far as I am aware the PAL/NTSC setting is for TV output only. After all you can't change the frame rate of the video in the camera once recorded :-)

When I was in the UK visiting relatives using my US Sanyo C40, it seemed to playback on PAL TV's fine but I assume you are wanting 25fps for DVD creation to playback on TV? I have read that converting to 25fps from 30fps makes the movie 'jerky' although when I tried it I didn't see this, but perhaps I just didn't notice it. 30 to 25 fps seems like an even number to me ie it would drop every sixth frame which makes me wonder why it would be jerky unless it's the fact that NTSC is really 29.97fps on most camcorders which may explain this.

I have also converted US and UK kids DVD's, as well as Camcorder video to playback on my phone at 15fps to keep my son occupied at certain moments, and they don't seem 'jerky' to me.

PC's are framerate agnostic, so not a problem there which is probably why the cameras seem to mainly be made with 30fps framerate.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 11:38 AM   #5

One of the main reasons I use 24p on my Canon HF100s is that the smooth motion blur makes for a very good looking video on the web. As yu know, YouTube and Vimeo down-sample the video rate to 25fps or less. By shooting at 24fps you make sure the video is nice and film-like, even at the low rate.

Only the Sanyo's can mimic this, with their 15fps "High Sensitivity" mode engaged. You can use AVIsynth to strip out the repeated frames from the 30fps they record on the SD card.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:32 PM   #6

I'm by any mean no expert on this area, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

PC/Macs can run any framerate you throw at it but most lcd pc monitors run at 60 Hz(all over the world). Anything above 60fps will be discarded. I've read, that a lot of pc games run between 30 and 60 fps at the "preffered" monitor resolution. My guess is video material of 30 fps and higher will run smoothly and flicker free on pc monitors. So why does all these low cost(and some expensive ones) hybrid cameras(even webcams and digital still cameras) only 30fps(sometimes also 60), because they are aimed at pc users, who share their videos on the internet. I'm not talking about NTSC here, only framerates and pc monitors refresh rates. Now camcorders(which is kinda hybrid too) on the other hand are aimed at TV/HDTV users. The videos recorded are most likely to be watched on a TV. We all know different parts of the world uses either PAL(25fps), NTSC(29.97/30fps) and SECAM(25fps) and that basically why you have camcorders, which only records in either 25p/50i or 24p/30p/60i. So buying a pc oriented hybrid camera in a PAL country, for DVD conversion is going to be problematic. But if you are going to watch your recordings straight off the camera, there shouldn't be any problems, because most hybrids output in both formats.

I just do hope the 25fps option will be implemented in future low cost hybrids.

adalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 2:21 PM   #7

When DV started to be used by cinematographers here in the US they bought grey market PAL cameras because the 25 fps could just be slowed down to 24 fps. Then the manufacturers saw the market for 24 fps consumer cameras which I would argue was there for some time especially for the student filmmaker market. I think the film studios bribed the camera manufacturers to keep them off the market as they feared 24 fps cameras would be used for movie piracy in the theaters.

The second part of the equation is getting that footage into your NLE at 24 fps as most consumer NLE's will import the 24fps as 60 fps. It shoudn't be too hard for the engineers at these companies to add inverse telecine plugins though.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:31 AM   #8

I have a Panasonic HDC-SD9 that shoots 1080p at 24 fps. Unfortunately, when it shoots at 60 fps it is interlaced.
pablorkcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:28 PM   #9

pablorkcz wrote:
Quote:
I have a Panasonic HDC-SD9 that shoots 1080p at 24 fps. Unfortunately, when it shoots at 60 fps it is interlaced.
You mean 60 FIELDS per second!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:57 AM   #10

As far as I know the Samsung HMX-10/20 are the only HD cameras near hybrid to do the 25/50p right thing. There might be one other, but i don't remember.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote