Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:10 PM   #11

During the years I've been following the hybrid camera scene, the very best models available at any given time have always cost $1000-1200. The performance at all price levels has steadily risen, to the point where I'd guess you can get cameras for $200 now that outperform what the $1000 could do 4 years ago.

I recall when we were wishing for 640x480 at 30fps, optical zoom and image stabilization on $200-300 hybrids.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:01 AM   #12

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
During the years I've been following the hybrid camera scene, the very best models available at any given time have always cost $1000-1200. The performance at all price levels has steadily risen, to the point where I'd guess you can get cameras for $200 now that outperform what the $1000 could do 4 years ago.

I recall when we were wishing for 640x480 at 30fps, optical zoom and image stabilization on $200-300 hybrids.
That's the great thing about technology, it always gets cheaper in the long run. Having said that, the 'long run' always seems to take forever LOL I remember when I saw the first Sanyo Xacti's, I realized at once that this was the future for camcorders but they seemed to be in the $5-600 range forever!

It's funny how when these devices do come down in price how we all become much more critical of them! We forget what a technological marvel they are and that the image quality is really quite amazing when you consider the inexpensive price!

I still look at the video I took of my son as a baby (Won't be long before he is 4!) with that cheap Aiptek IS-DV I had. I was amazed at the time at the video image quality considering how cheap it was and that it had to fit it on an SD memory card!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 5:15 AM   #13

well you expect pricing to fall, likeSony Lost 95% profit 3/4 . wonder why?

Gas went down so should everything else?

wheat is high flour is high,

getting a bagel, 25 cents no more LOL let me rephrase that yesterdays bagels 6 for 1.00

getting a slice of Piza a 12 oz soday under a buck today 5.00 if lucky. with a topping

we not looking for a bargain we'r looking the best cam that fits our needs

be careful and spend wisely.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote