Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:19 AM   #1

I have been searching google for some raw Canon HF100 .mts files but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I have only found a couple so far at the highest quality. I particularly want some at the lower 12Mbps XP+ quality to see if my Quad Core can cope with them, as it seems it can't cope with the 17Mbps files. The new 720p Sanyos may be a better fit but its a long wait since they are not going to be available for at least another month or two and then at least a month or two after that for the first reviews and, if lucky, video samples!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2009, 1:42 AM   #2

Use the CoreAVC codec. My Core-2 Duo can handle the 17MBps XP+ without difficulty using that codec.

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 6:10 AM   #3

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I have been searching google for some raw Canon HF100 .mts files but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth. I have only found a couple so far at the highest quality. I particularly want some at the lower 12Mbps XP+ quality to see if my Quad Core can cope with them, as it seems it can't cope with the 17Mbps files. The new 720p Sanyos may be a better fit but its a long wait since they are not going to be available for at least another month or two and then at least a month or two after that for the first reviews and, if lucky, video samples!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:44 AM   #4

Trevmar wrote:
Quote:
Use the CoreAVC codec. My Core-2 Duo can handle the 17MBps XP+ without difficulty using that codec.
Interesting but I noticed that even though Magix editor can load and edit mts files, it struggles. Playback in the preview screen or using the Magix interface to edit results in things freezing for a bit then doing an action after it recalculates. I thought the fact that it takes a good while to load the file initially, that it was converting it to a format that was easier to edit but it seems not to be the case as I looked at the directory where it stores its files and there certainly wasn't any converted file there. What is the editor you use and do you convert the file before you load it in?
Old Jan 31, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5

Editing is a different kettle of fish from viewing.

I first convert files to Cineform with their one-step converter and then they edit instantly in Vegas, which is cineform native. Actually, once in cineform, anything will handle them quickly. It is the AVC format which is so compute-intensive. OTOH cineform is much larger on disk, and takes 2-3 times real-time to convert formats.

Maybe there is a more ideal way, but I am too lazy to figure it out. I use AVIsynth to do it before the Cineform HV20/HF100 converter was released. Now I just relax and let their (expensive) software do all the work

Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:56 PM   #6

How do the videos from the HF100 in XP+ format which is 12Mbps compare to the Sanyo HD1000 which are also 12Mbps? My PC seems to handle the Sanyo HD1000 files easily which made me edge towards the HD1000 but the HF100 is not only cheaper but has OIS and the ability to add an extended battery.

I could off course handle the 17MBps files by loading them into Magix and then exporting them out in another format. I notice it has a proprietry format called mxv which when I reload seems to make editing easier but I can't seem to find any details on whether it keeps it in the same exact quality.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Sanyo MP4 files are less taxing than AVC MP4 from the HF100. But, as I said, viewing them is easy enough with CoreAVC codec on a Core-2 duo CPU. It is tough on my Pentium-mobile laptop, but CoreAVC still does a surprising job.

I had a Sanyo HD700 and it let me down badly on an important shoot. I then bought an HD1000, but it was poor in low light compared with my HV20. I then bought the first of my HF100s and have been 100% happy with 'high-end' HD video ever since. I use Kodak Z1012 and V1073 for general purpose candid HD 720p shooting.

Still looking for ultra compact recorders that run longer than the 30 minutes of my V1073, but the new Sony MHS-PM1 looks set to meet that need.

Old Feb 1, 2009, 10:52 AM   #8

Oh - I should have mentioned that all my HF100 video is at 24p with a 1/24 or 1/48 shutter. This may or may not affect the CPU load on playback, I haven't tested 60i.

Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:55 PM   #9

I finally got the full 17Mbps AVCHD mts sample files to play beautifully in VLC Player!

I found out that I needed to change a setting on the h264/avc codec in VLC player and now the full 17Mbps play great on my Quad Core! I thought it odd before when it was freezing and stuttering as my Quad core was barely being taxed according to the CPU meter. Even now it's barely using a third of the Quad percentage wise!

GOM Player just seems to crash immediately so I don't know it is capable of playing these mts files.

Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:21 PM   #10

can you tell me what did you change in vlc player . i would like to try that too. thank in advance.
jo7878 is offline   Reply With Quote