Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 31, 2009, 5:37 PM   #1

At least one user has claimed compatibility of the Jazz HDV178 with a 16 gb SDHC memory card. It shows up repeatedly when you Google the term as part of a user review for this camcorder where he says he bought the card with the camera and put a whole wedding on this card. The manual lists 8 gb as the maximum Has anyone else tried a 16 gb or larger card on this camera and found the full capacity usable?
archp2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2009, 8:17 PM   #2

archp2008 wrote:
Quote:
At least one user has claimed compatibility of the Jazz HDV178 with a 16 gb SDHC memory card. It shows up repeatedly when you Google the term as part of a user review for this camcorder where he says he bought the card with the camera and put a whole wedding on this card. The manual lists 8 gb as the maximum Has anyone else tried a 16 gb or larger card on this camera and found the full capacity usable?
This tends to happen a lot where they will specify a maximum even though a device that is compatible with SDHCshould in theory go all the way to 32GB. Often the limit they specify is just the maxmium available at the time they tested it. If others have specified they have used a 16GB card, then barring specific brand incompatibilities which does happen, you should be safe. Just make sure that, if it doesn't work, you can either use that card in some other device or where you purchase it from has a good return policy.

I had an an Intel player 3000 MP3 player once, and at the time I purchased it I think 128MB was the maximum MMC card available. In the end I think it even worked withthe newstandard 512MB MMC plus card which were not even around when I had that device! Of course for a device that had no real display just a track number 512MB was already too big to be practical :lol:

The now obsolete Smartmedia cards were the troublesome ones where you needed to eitherupgrade your camera firmware, or simply buy a new camera whenever they released a new capacity. SD cards have their own memory controller which is why this isn't a problem as long as you stick to that which is specified by the camera ie SD devices can take up to 2GB, SDHC should be able to take all the way up to 32GB.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Actually the Jazz HDV178 that I purchased has been mailed to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. I bought it for my wife for Xmas but it failed a few weeks later - only a week after the in-store return policy expired. It just suddenly failed to turn on when opened. I have read where others have had the same problem intermittently but, in my case, it seems to have been a permanent failure. I am waiting now and hoping to receive a new camera in a month or so. I bought a 4 gb card for it when I bought it because it was the only cheap one I could locate locally. I paid $18 for this 4 gb card at Walmart (Can). I understand what you mean by cameras being able to accept larger cards than they are sometimes rated for. I bought a Casio EX-Z750 a few years ago and, even though the manufacturer insisted it was only good for 1 gb, I have been using 2 gb cards in it without incident ever since. The only problem in buying cards at stores with generous return policies is that you usually pay somewhat more for them in such stores. Of course, if you buy on eBay you really don't know what you're getting and frequently there is no return for incompatible devices at all. No doubt the prices of SDHC cards will continue to drop in years to come the way SD cards have. I'll probably wait until something important comes up in our lives, and I really need more space for video, and then I'll try out a 16 or 32 gb card, probably from Walmart as they seem to be pretty reasonable if you talk to them in those kind of situations. Some of these very large cards are hard to find at any price in local stores in this area (NL, Canada).
archp2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 9:40 PM   #4

5.00 for a 4 gig card

90 min on a battery

no curruotions

32 gig 90 minute battery and curruption not good

placingall your eggs in one basket i preferre the oppo...
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2009, 10:34 PM   #5

I have to agree with Fishycomics and it was something I forgot to add to my posting. Using anything larger than a 4GB card is pointless in my humble opinion as 4GB gives you 2 hours of HD quality and your battery won't even last that long
(unless you have a second one handy like I do). But more importantly putting too much video on one card is, as fishycomics says, putting all your eggs in one basket. Keeping smaller card sizes forces you to off load your video regularly. Especially on a long vacation I'd take a bunch of smaller cards rather than a couple of very large ones in case one gets mislaid or lost.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote