Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 3, 2009, 1:21 PM   #1

Looking for an inexpensive camcorder that records HD and performs well in lower lit situations (driving at night, indoor low light etc.)

I'm willing to pay as much as $200, but that is the absolute max and I'd rather not have to spend that much ($100 ideally)

For example, from what I've read here and countless reviews, is that the Aiptek GO-HD might do the trick. I just want to be certain that the low light will have the least amount of grain as possible.

Additionaly, it would be nice if the camera performed well enough for fast/quick camera movements.

Thanks in advance. Great forum guys!

Adabo
adabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:40 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Adabo,

I've just moved this to theHybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams section where our experts there can advise you.

Hope you get what you need.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 5:56 PM   #3

Welcome Adobo that out of the way.

AF go-hd a member here has some excellent shots PaulBunkie

Auto Focus may or may not be best for reasons of focus hunting, Marco- Polo. marco-POLO. the AHD is identical

Panning, slower the better more professional, but it is the eye of the beholder, how they film. mr. beans holiday

You can spend $$$ and still not get what you want. top $$ or little.

the Insignia, or Jazz HDV-178 may be a good camera.

well let our members here jump in. and welcome again.

take a look at vimeo for pauls excellent shots

adabo wrote:
Quote:
Looking for an inexpensive camcorder that records HD and performs well in lower lit situations (driving at night, indoor low light etc.)

I'm willing to pay as much as $200, but that is the absolute max and I'd rather not have to spend that much ($100 ideally)

For example, from what I've read here and countless reviews, is that the Aiptek GO-HD might do the trick. I just want to be certain that the low light will have the least amount of grain as possible.

Additionaly, it would be nice if the camera performed well enough for fast/quick camera movements.

Thanks in advance. Great forum guys!

Adabo
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:43 PM   #4

Wow, thanks for taking care of me Mark1616. Also thanks to you Fishycomics on the tips.

Fishycomics: Is it possible to disable autofocus on the GO-HD? I don't like autofocus for filming movie projects. If this not possible, then what would be the next camera solution?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:26 AM   #5

The AHD is Identical.

I mentioned the A-HD samecamera , a fixed focus , going higher to a A-HD+, will offer less light.. and going higher then the A-HD+ to the HD1 or HS-HD will again Offer LEss light.

adabo wrote:
Quote:
Wow, thanks for taking care of me Mark1616. Also thanks to you Fishycomics on the tips.

Fishycomics: Is it possible to disable autofocus on the GO-HD? I don't like autofocus for filming movie projects. If this not possible, then what would be the next camera solution?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:04 PM   #6

I don't understand your comment about less light? Does this mean poor or good performance in the low light situation?

Thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:36 PM   #7

sorry I answered Wee hours

the A-Hd does t he best in LOW level lighting

the A-HD+ not as good Low leve becomes poor, and so on,

adabo wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand your comment about less light? Does this mean poor or good performance in the low light situation?

Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 3:02 AM   #8

Thanks fishycomics!

I was hasty and purchased the Aiptek HD-1 ($113 @ Sears). I was surprised about the video quality. I will make sure to write a nicer review, but for now I must say this:

Good
-that the video is very smooth, no skips, jerks, hiccups, stutters, or even undulation.
-has external mic input! Some mistake? Thought only the HSHD had external mic in.

Bad
-Terrible visible vertical banding across the screen. I don't know how else to describe it. Some kind of faint blueish lines runing vertical repeating in bands across the screen. Will post video soon.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 5:44 AM   #9

1. Tv playback on a real tv with standard Audio, and Hi def video test that to see if they're there?

then standard . and then PC

love to see somesamples.

wonder if it is a defect? nothing leaves Aiptek in perfect order I guess?

adabo wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fishycomics!

I was hasty and purchased the Aiptek HD-1 ($113 @ Sears). I was surprised about the video quality. I will make sure to write a nicer review, but for now I must say this:

Good
-that the video is very smooth, no skips, jerks, hiccups, stutters, or even undulation.
-has external mic input! Some mistake? Thought only the HSHD had external mic in.

Bad
-Terrible visible vertical banding across the screen. I don't know how else to describe it. Some kind of faint blueish lines runing vertical repeating in bands across the screen. Will post video soon.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 4:57 PM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
love to see somesamples.
I managed to upload a 720p video. It was recorded in bright sunlight. I think this camera does a good job for well lit situations, but I'll let the video do the talking (sorry for my unsteady hand, I'm new). I will upload indoor video and low light samples later.

http://www.filedropper.com/aiptekhd-1sunny720p
http://www.vimeo.com/3100654