Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 12, 2009, 10:50 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Default

Found the issue or at least one of them. A review stated "it was in the usability of the camera's 60 fps AVCHD files: at the moment, you'll be hard pressed to find a consumer video editing application that knows what to do with the ZS3's variant of this format." (http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...onic+lumix+zs3).

Thoughts? I'd rather not buy $100 software to edit. Will Windows Media Player or Real Player play the files?
mdezrin is offline  
Old May 13, 2009, 1:55 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Default

Hi,
Video test Panasonic TZ7

http://vimeo.com/3654230
sonny84 is offline  
Old May 13, 2009, 2:30 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 13
Default

This is juddery on my laptop although I have 2meg of memory ..... does this mean I would be better not recording AVCHD mode?
LizG is offline  
Old May 15, 2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
adalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denmarkian
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdezrin View Post
Found the issue or at least one of them. A review stated "it was in the usability of the camera's 60 fps AVCHD files: at the moment, you'll be hard pressed to find a consumer video editing application that knows what to do with the ZS3's variant of this format." (http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...onic+lumix+zs3).

Thoughts? I'd rather not buy $100 software to edit. Will Windows Media Player or Real Player play the files?

Well first of all you're quite right about the compatibility issues the "AVCHD Lite" subformat might/will have with various editing software. You could choose to record in Motion JPEG format instead, as this format will be compatible with most editing software.

I personally hate WMP so I never use it. Likewise with Real Player. I don't even think Real Player can play h.264 videos. The best player and codec combi for me is using Media Player Classic(MPC) with CoreAVC codec. I've seen a new(new to me) player called Splash player which is an AVCHD software player that can use GPU hardware acceleration.
adalfa is offline  
Old May 18, 2009, 10:02 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

Does all AVCHD record in a 60i container regardless of whether it's 30p or 24p etc? Or this is unique to Canon? That was one of the annoying things I found about the HF100 in that it recorded everything in a 60i container, so later on there was no way of knowing if you recorded in a progressive format or not since it split the frames into a 60i format, and it's not always easy to tell if it's interlaced when watching it.
rgvcam is offline  
Old May 18, 2009, 9:17 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalfa View Post
Well first of all you're quite right about the compatibility issues the "AVCHD Lite" subformat might/will have with various editing software. You could choose to record in Motion JPEG format instead, as this format will be compatible with most editing software.

I personally hate WMP so I never use it. Likewise with Real Player. I don't even think Real Player can play h.264 videos. The best player and codec combi for me is using Media Player Classic(MPC) with CoreAVC codec. I've seen a new(new to me) player called Splash player which is an AVCHD software player that can use GPU hardware acceleration.
I'm 99% sure RP can not play H.264 and I to only ever use MPC with the CoreAvc codecs. Works for me.
Joshstar is offline  
Old May 19, 2009, 10:53 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
adalfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Denmarkian
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Does all AVCHD record in a 60i container regardless of whether it's 30p or 24p etc? Or this is unique to Canon? That was one of the annoying things I found about the HF100 in that it recorded everything in a 60i container, so later on there was no way of knowing if you recorded in a progressive format or not since it split the frames into a 60i format, and it's not always easy to tell if it's interlaced when watching it.
This issue are unique to Canon and Sony AVCHD camcorders and some Panasonic prosumer models. I've read that newer(and some older) Panasonic consumer AVCHD camcorders records "true" progressive 30p and 24p video.
adalfa is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:28 AM   #18
Member
 
anjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 87
Default HOW TO CONVERT AVCHD-lite

After hours, I finally found the BEST EXPORT SETTINGS for converting AVCDH-lite (from PANASONIC TZ7) to make it compatible with WindoMovieMaker,
(who is for me the most easy and fast frewware for quick montage ;-)

It need me many tests..., but I'm happy to share my "success" with all TZ7 users :

You can see the result here :
ALL MY TEST on my test page , with EXPORT DETAILS in .JPG
and here in VIDEO :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq2hzGvDDjc



Anyway, the CONVERTING FREEWARE SUPER from Erighsoft seems to me the VERY BEST at all for converting.
;-)

To be continued...
----------------------------------------

UPDATE AUGUST 2010 :

I advice you to try the very easy free & efficient Free AVCHD Converter V1.7 (koyotesoft)
Find all my new converting TEST here : http://www.anjoyplanet.com/video/export_HD.html
;-)

Last edited by anjoy; Aug 28, 2010 at 1:17 PM.
anjoy is offline  
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:45 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

Yes these Panasonic Cameras are very nice. I was looking at them myself though I wonder why the sensor they use can only output 30fps (even though they encode at 60fps)?
rgvcam is offline  
Old Jul 13, 2009, 6:05 AM   #20
Member
 
anjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Yes these Panasonic Cameras are very nice. I was looking at them myself though I wonder why the sensor they use can only output 30fps (even though they encode at 60fps)?
After exploring forums, I have understood the phenomenon of sound-image lag and wrong video-acceleration :
-> The converted file can be ACCELERATED by sofware mistake !

In the PAL version, the LUMIX produces video at 25 frames per second, but DOUBLE it in the "envelop" to reach 50
fps Final (but there are only 25 different images!)


In the NTSC version, the LUMIX produces video at 30 frames per second, but DOUBLE it the "envelop" to reach 60
fps Final (but there is that 30 different images!)

This generates errors in the rendering speed in several software conversion !

My experience is that doing conversion .MOV and .WMV files don't suffer from this phenomenon ! (why? no ideas !)

Explore to my special chapter "HOW TO CONVERT AVCHD-lite files"

More experience wanted ... and future coming soon !
... Please share with us!
anjoy is offline  
 
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:14 PM.