Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Closed Thread

Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:26 PM   #21

Hello anjoy,

Could you please post a couple of 1 minute+ long videos on their original (RAW) from as they come out of the camera? Ideally in the AVCHDLite format.

I am considering this camera but would like to see how easy I can work with the files made by the camera itself. Also I would like to try a different approach at converting the files.

Thanks! try with mediafire or megaupload
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:04 AM   #22

Default avchd problem

Hello. I bought this camera in Beijing and have been using it for the last two months. A great camera indeed. Now I have a problem: after I filled the 8GB SD card I copied al info to a portable Samsung hard disk directly with a SD card reader via USB2.0. Now than Iím back home, the PhotofunStudio software doesnít seem to recognize the AVCDH lite videos at all.
If I see the folders I have in the hard disk, it shows a carpet: PRIVATE with this structure:

PRIVATE

.AVCHD

..IISVPL (several #####.VPL archives)

..BMDV

...STREAM (several #####.MTS archives)
...CLIPINF (several #####.CPI archives)
...PLAYLIST (several #####.MPL archives)
...MOVIEOBJ.BDM
...INDEXBDM

..AVCHDTN
...THUMBTDT
...THUMBTID

None of those archives can be seeing. This problem doesnít happen when you use the PhotofunStudio and download your info to the computer hard disk via the camera itself.
Any help to recover the videos? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 8:37 AM   #23

Hi and welcome, Ordo.

Let me first say that I don't own this camera so any member who does can probably give you more specific help.

Normally a digital camera saves both images and videoclips in one folder called "DCIM". But since this is an AVCHD capable camera it seems to be storing the videofiles in a Blu-Ray Disc file structure. The videofiles are stored in the "STREAM" folder in a ".MTS" container. So all files with ".MTS" is a videofile.

What do you mean by "None of those archives can be seeing"? Is the entire BD file structure invisible? Or do you mean, they are not accessible?

You should be able to transfer you videofiles without using Photofun Studio, which came with the camera.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:05 AM   #24

Thanks for the welcome adalfa. I have now some interesting experiences with this little marvel that I will try to share with you, battery issues particularly.

Although I have those .MTS files, if I click on any .MTS archive the extension is not recognized and I can’t play them (already tried Media Player, Real, etc.). It seems as if I need to download some specific software to play those AVCHD Lite files. Not sure really.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:39 AM   #25

Ahh okay. So you have a missing codec issue. You need an h.264 codec to play those AVCHD lite files. x264 is a free codec which you could install with the Media Player Classic. Or you could install a codec pack such as K-Lite, which has the above codec and player in it. There's also the Splash AVCHD player, which is also free. The best h.264 codec imo is Corecodec's Coreavc codec, but this is not free.

K-Lite codec and x264 codec:
http://www.free-codecs.com/

Splash AVCHD player:
http://www.mirillis.com/splash.html
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:25 AM   #26

I installed K-Lite standard (with Media Player).
I can see the videos! So many thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I can see the videos! So many thanks!
You're welcome, Ordo.

What are the battery issues you have? I know Panasonic recently stopped the use of 3rd party batteries in the newest version of the firmware. Many has complained about this.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalfa View Post
You're welcome, Ordo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adalfa View Post

What are the battery issues you have? I know Panasonic recently stopped the use of 3rd party batteries in the newest version of the firmware. Many has complained about this.

You bet it. In China I couldn't buy original Lumix spare batteries. So, Panasonic offers a new, fantastic camera, but do not provide you extra batteries, which are an absolute must because the camera will eat the battery after 70-80 picks and a couple of 1 minute videos. Forget the 300 picks some reviews are talking about.
Result: I bought 2 chinese RUIEN batteries. Of course, Panasonic knows who's making the fake replacements and, through software limitations, will try to avoid you to buy them.
Only problem I found with these batteries is that in cold weather you need to warm them up a little cause sometimes the camera will not recognize them. Putting the battery in your hands for a while and warm blowing them will do it.

Last edited by Ordo; Jul 22, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 11:33 AM   #29

The AVCHD and the AVCHD-Lite formats are subsets of Blu-ray Disc (BD).

That's why the directory tree you see on your recorded video has that BDMV folder; the BDMV stands for "Blu-ray Disc Movie."

The .MTS extension is a PANASONIC implementation; it's a wrapper for the H.264, AVCHD-formatted file.

The .M2TS extension is a SONY implementation; it's also a wrapper for the H.264, AVCHD-formatted file.

To play .MTS or .M2TS, you first need a computer with enough CPU/GPU power to process high definition AVCHD video and then you need a player that can recognize those extensions. I believe CyberLink's PowerDVD 9 ULTRA player version will play them.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:20 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post
The AVCHD and the AVCHD-Lite formats are subsets of Blu-ray Disc (BD).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Idaho View Post

That's why the directory tree you see on your recorded video has that BDMV folder; the BDMV stands for "Blu-ray Disc Movie."

The .MTS extension is a PANASONIC implementation; it's a wrapper for the H.264, AVCHD-formatted file.

The .M2TS extension is a SONY implementation; it's also a wrapper for the H.264, AVCHD-formatted file.

To play .MTS or .M2TS, you first need a computer with enough CPU/GPU power to process high definition AVCHD video and then you need a player that can recognize those extensions. I believe CyberLink's PowerDVD 9 ULTRA player version will play them.
Thanks a lot.
All this coding and hard-software troubles have been causing a lot of consumers Ėlike me- to stand by until thereís some kind of agreement.
When I decided to buy a PS digital camera with outstanding video and stereo recording capacity, I waited a long time for the ZS3.
As my last camera was a Mamiya 7, I guess I have a lot to learn.
Iíve been lurking my +1500 picks and have found some of them are worth.
Thank you very much.

Closed Thread